Charge rate from type 2 connector only pulling 3.33kw

Mikey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi Everyone,

First time on the forum and I did a search but nothing jumped out at me as answering this already. Just got a new MG5 and trying to charge it for the first time using type 2 connector at my office. The office chargers are able to provide 11kw and the other cars that are currently plugged in are all getting 11kw but I am pulling 3.33kw. I wasn't expecting to get 11kw but I believed the MG5 could pull 7 (or 6.6). My 6 year old Nissan leaf used to pull 3.5kw off those chargers so a bit disappointed that I'm getting such a slow charge.

Any ideas?

If it is a 3 phase11kW EVSE then that is 3.5kW per phase so on the MG5 that is correct.
To get the full 7kW then you need to use a 22kW EVSE.
What are the other Vehicles that are plugged in?

Thanks for the quick response. I didn't realise the way 3 phase works. Generally a lot a varied makes down there including Tesla, Audi, BMW, Golf, Polestar etc.. Not saying they are all pulling 11kw but just when I was down there now the other 3 were (and I didn't notice the makes).

Some 11kw chargers can do 7kw I think by combining two phases, but your work may have set the chargers low so as not to overload the building supply.

Some 11kw chargers can do 7kw I think by combining two phases, but your work may have set the chargers low so as not to overload the building supply.
I think it's the other way around. Some cars that can accept 3 phase 11kw (3 x 3.5kw) can accept single phase 7kw. An EVSE is only a glorified power socket so it can't combine anything.

#MG5 FL

You need to make sure you have a 32a type 2. The standard MG cable isn’t and will only allow 7kw charging. This is what happened to me. The one below was the one I got and now I get about 10kw on average from a 22kw charger.

Jolt EV Electric Vehicle Charging Cable - Type 2 to Type 2, 32 Amp 22 KW Three-Phase Charging Station Adapter, 5 Meters, with Carrying Bag https://amzn.eu/d/dfQyxq2

Before shelling out for new cables I'd be tempted to go find a 7kw public charging post and trying on there.

Although some of those are also limited below 7kw especially if it's a double post and there's another car charging.

#MG5 FL

You need to make sure you have a 32a type 2. The standard MG cable isn’t and will only allow 7kw charging. This is what happened to me. The one below was the one I got and now I get about 10kw on average from a 22kw charger.

Jolt EV Electric Vehicle Charging Cable - Type 2 to Type 2, 32 Amp 22 KW Three-Phase Charging Station Adapter, 5 Meters, with Carrying Bag https://amzn.eu/d/dfQyxq2
Thanks for the advice on the cable as this did the job. I went out and got a 3 phase cable and have been happily using it to charge my car but today was the first time I've been back to work since my first post and my MG5 is happily pulling just short of 10 kw from the 11kw charger compared to the 3.3kw I was getting from the official MG cable that came with the car. So it's definitely worth upgrading the cable to maximise your charging.

So now I have a once only used official MG cable in an MG bag that I will sell. Any idea how much I should advertise this for? To buy them new from MG they are crazy money but they are single phase.

#MG5 FL

For the cable to be able to "allow" 7kW charging it has to be a 32A one, 7kW/240V=29A.
If it's only pulling 3.5kW then it must be a 16A cable, 240Vx16A=3.8kW max
My MG supplied cable is a 32A, you guys must have got short changed if you got a 16A one.

My MG cable is a 32A cable as well but I am assuming it is a single phase cable based on its use. Forgive my limited knowledge, that I've only built up from research following advice given on this thread, but if you are charging at home or out and about at normal 7kw type 2 chargers then the single phase cables are all you need. But you can get a 22kw charger at home but that would be 3 phase so you would need a 3 phase cable otherwise you would only pull 7kw from it. As I hope more higher kw type 2 chargers will be installed (as my work has done), that will be 3 phase, then it is useful to have a 3 phase cable,

I'm happy to be shot down if my understanding of this all is incorrect.

And if anyone wants an official MG 32A cable then let me know 😀

That's about right. Does your MG5 have L2 and L3 populated in the type2 socket on the car?

But you can get a 22kw charger at home

I rather think not! Unless you are lucky enough to have a 3-phase supply to your house you will never get 22kW delivered to the car. I'm not even sure you can buy a home charger capable of outputting that level!

Or, have I got that completely wrong??

@Jomarkh

Thanks for the info re that charger. But am I right that you must have a 3-phase supply to the house to be able to use it?
Seems many of the home charger companies offer 22kw chargers but you are right that you would need a 3 phase supply for it. No idea of the costs of changing as a quick search suggests it depends on a lot of factors: some make it easy, some very costly. I'm not on the lookout for getting one, just happy I can now use other people's

My son has 22KW 3 phase charger and 3 phase house supply which cost about £15K to install. When I charge there I get 7.5 KW max.
MGs will not take 22 KW as they are limited by the onboard inverter. Very few cars will achieve 22 KW AC charging, 11KW seems to be the normal limit with a few cars eg Renault being able to get the full 22.

There are MG's with 3 phase charging up to 11kW but you need a three phase cable and the L2 and L3 pins on the car socket to be populated.

My son has 22KW 3 phase charger and 3 phase house supply which cost about £15K to install. When I charge there I get 7.5 KW max.
MGs will not take 22 KW as they are limited by the onboard inverter. Very few cars will achieve 22 KW AC charging, 11KW seems to be the normal limit with a few cars eg Renault being able to get the full 22.
That’s good to know. So sounds like 3 phase cable is only really needed if you have regular use of a 3 phase 11kw charger (like my office) as I can get 9.9kwh rather than 3.3kwh as with even the 22kWh chargers you’ll only get an extra couple of kWh out of them with a 3 phase cable. My other office does have 22Kwh chargers I believe and I’m there next week so I might report back what charge I get from them with my new cable vs original MG cable.

I will post my MG cable in the things to sell forum but still not sure what they go for so any advice welcome

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom