MG5 V2 - Not charging 12v battery shocker!

Optimistic23

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Seven and a half months in at 3302miles dead in the water - well, A road. Warning 12v failure. Then screen, indicators and drive failed. Still awaiting dealer's answers. RAC recharged the 12v in 25 mins and followed me to the MG dealer/workshop.
Anyone else had similar?
Frightening and dangerous experience.Thanks.

Hi,

Not had the same situation and hope I won’t get stranded but we have a consistent issue with the 12V battery being drained.
It does seem to charge when charging the car though.

It’s going to go into the dealer the 15th of august.

Just a question, does the infotainment show “U Disk Identify failure” Or something along those lines? Ours does and I’m curious whether the 2 are related.

Grts
Steven

Hi,

Not had the same situation and hope I won’t get stranded but we have a consistent issue with the 12V battery being drained.
It does seem to charge when charging the car though.

It’s going to go into the dealer the 15th of august.

Just a question, does the infotainment show “U Disk Identify failure” Or something along those lines? Ours does and I’m curious whether the 2 are related.

Grts
Steven
No. Just a msg reading "Don't park for more than 3 days.' My 12v was on 50% SOC, but failed after only 7 miles driving. Thanks.

EV ownership Golden Rule #1: ALWAYS have a charger one off those to hand : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0BVQKZNV2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Have you tried it in anger yet?
Following your recommendation on here, I bought one last week because I'm having some 12v issues with my i3. This morning was one those occasions so I reached in the glovebox, pulled out the trusty jump starter and it behaved exactly as the instructions said. The only thing was it was flat in no time at all and failed to get me out of my predicament. The i3 12v battery is only a 20 aH so it shouldnt have had an issue providing the 12v to get me running. My old Sealy unit I clipped on and instant success.
I suggest you perhaps try it in anger before relying on it somewhere. Others should take heed of this, it's really no a good device or mine is faulty, in any event, it's going back to Amazon as faulty and I will seek an alternative compact unit.

Have you tried it in anger yet?
Following your recommendation on here, I bought one last week because I'm having some 12v issues with my i3. This morning was one those occasions so I reached in the glovebox, pulled out the trusty jump starter and it behaved exactly as the instructions said. The only thing was it was flat in no time at all and failed to get me out of my predicament. The i3 12v battery is only a 20 aH so it shouldnt have had an issue providing the 12v to get me running. My old Sealy unit I clipped on and instant success.
I suggest you perhaps try it in anger before relying on it somewhere. Others should take heed of this, it's really no a good device or mine is faulty, in any event, it's going back to Amazon as faulty and I will seek an alternative compact unit.
I have just bought a noco gb50 for the same reason. Did you connect the +ve & - ve direct to the 12v battery terminals? Is so, did you have any error messages come up?
I know the noco is overkill for the 5 but we also have a 2L Peugeot Boxer

I have just bought a noco gb50 for the same reason. Did you connect the +ve & - ve direct to the 12v battery terminals? Is so, did you have any error messages come up?
I know the noco is overkill for the 5 but we also have a 2L Peugeot Boxer
Yes I connected as you suggest, straight to the battery terminals, the only errors were related/caused by low 12v, it creates mayhem.

When the AA guy jumped our 5 it threw up lots of error messages which soon cleared when we turned it off and on again.
Thanks, I am not so concerned about going direct to the battery now.

When the AA guy jumped our 5 it threw up lots of error messages which soon cleared when we turned it off and on again.
Thanks, I am not so concerned about going direct to the battery now.
Thats pretty much the norm, the systems start to operate in error when the 12v gets low voltage, the errors are logged, often there are communication errors recorded in the various ECU's. They usually clear once 12v is restored.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom