MG5 will not charge at a fast charger

KBod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

We have an MG5 (registered January 2021 but it is a 70 plate) and it will not charge at a fast charger. No problems charging it at home or at a 7kW podpoint charger. We bought this second hand in March and the 90 day warranty is now up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge at a fast charger? Does the car require a software update?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The car has a 7 year warranty. Have you taken it to a dealer?
No not yet (husband is currently stranded 4 hours away with the car waiting for it to slowly charge). I have called our local MG garage but they just said bring it in. I wanted to know (if possible) what the likely problem was before taking it to them.

Upvote 0
Hi,

We have an MG5 (registered January 2021 but it is a 70 plate) and it will not charge at a fast charger. No problems charging it at home or at a 7kw podpoint charger. We bought this second hand in March and the 90 day warranty is now up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge at a fast charger? Does the car require a software update?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
When you say it will not charge on a fast charger what speed are you taking?

Home and “fast” charging normally refers to type 2 connector and the onboard AC charger.

Rapid charging use the CCS cable and charges via DC.

What is the problem you having or error message you are getting?

Upvote 0
When you say it will not charge on a fast charger what speed are you taking?

Home and “fast” charging normally refers to type 2 connector and the onboard AC charger.

Rapid charging use the CCS cable and charges via DC.

What is the problem you having or error message you are getting?
I believe the 50kw chargers. The charger was working as the car in front had successfully charged their car, but when my husband plugged our car in (using the charging machine's cable, not ours) it said it could not connect to the car. He tried numerous times. He then moved the car to a 7kw charger and it would charge.

Upvote 0
I believe the 50kw chargers. The charger was working as the car in front had successfully charged their car, but when my husband plugged our car in (using the charging machine's cable, not ours) it said it could not connect to the car. He tried numerous times. He then moved the car to a 7kw charger and it would charge.
Ok that will be DC charging then.

As was asked below is this the first time using a DC charger?

I had the same problem when I first got mine. I had not read the manual correctly. You may be doing this but you need to make sure the car is turned off.

On my FL the car reluctantly charges on type 2 AC chargers while turned on but on rapid chargers it would not.

So may be a silly question but make sure the car is turned off.

Someone with the pre-Facelift correct but I thought I read somewhere that model needed to be locked to charge?

Upvote 0

I had the same problem when I first got mine. I had not read the manual correctly. You may be doing this but you need to make sure the car is turned off.

On my FL the car reluctantly charges on type 2 AC chargers while turned on but on rapid chargers it would not.

Someone with the pre-Facelift correct but I thought I read somewhere that model needed to be locked to charge?
It was definitely turned off. The car starts charging at the slower chargers and our home charger if it is unlocked, so I assume it would charge at the fast charger without being locked. I will tell him to try locking it first though to see if that makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Also I find some of the older 50kw Gridserve chargers a bit unreliable with MG 5. I'd try moving to a faster charger somewhere else as soon as you have enough charge to get there.

And definitely try what @KBod suggested. It's worked for me before. Turn the car off. Plug the car in. Lock the car, then start the charge.

Upvote 0
As EWD says ^ some older chargers have problems with the MG5. When the chargers were built batteries were smaller and they don't like the readings they get on bigger batts. Add to that the language they speak (charging protocol) may not be compatible. They need to get the right answers from the car before they will start.

Try again at different (newer) units in different places before you contact a dealer.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your replies. Locking the car before confirming the charge didn't work. We have a geniepoint charger near us, so we'll try that one before taking the car anywhere. Very concerned about our trip to France next month now - I'm worried the chargers over there won't like the MG5 either.

Upvote 0
I've not had a problem in France.

If in doubt, pick 100kw+ chargers as they'll be more modern. That been said I've used a bunch of Total 50kw chargers without issue.

Just make sure you have the right RFID cards.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your replies. Locking the car before confirming the charge didn't work. We have a geniepoint charger near us, so we'll try that one before taking the car anywhere. Very concerned about our trip to France next month now - I'm worried the chargers over there won't like the MG5 either.
I have done loads of trip for France in my FL with no issue. The charger network over there is way better than the UK.

I recommend Lidl they have loads of chargers.

Hopefully trying a different charger will sort the issue :) there are plenty of dodgy chargers out there.

Upvote 0

It needs to be off but doesn't need to be locked.

Upvote 0
Geniepoint aren't known for their reliability, osprey or instavolt might be a better bet if there's one nearby.

Upvote 0
I've been told the best fast Chargers is 22kwh . Fast chargers higher than that can reduce your EV battery life, if used often.

Upvote 0
You won't find many fast AC EVSE units over 22kW.
Rapid DC chargers are a different thing and can put the battery cells out, that's why it is advised to battery balance once a month.

Upvote 0
Mg 5 won't charge at 22kw so waste of time the series 1 mg5 on ac charging only makes 7kw as that is the rating of the onboard charger to get fast it must be connected to a DC charger. Some older chargers don't like mg 5. Try a newer charger or just a different system. That said I have never had any issues with grid serve that have not been sorted by calling the help line number listed on every unit.

Upvote 0
Baffled why you MG5 doesn't 22kw .Your probably say yes to this, . But you have bought a 3 phase 22kw cable ?

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom