MG5 will not charge at a fast charger

KBod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

We have an MG5 (registered January 2021 but it is a 70 plate) and it will not charge at a fast charger. No problems charging it at home or at a 7kW podpoint charger. We bought this second hand in March and the 90 day warranty is now up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge at a fast charger? Does the car require a software update?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matters not the cable being single or 3 phase if you are on AC the most you get on the early MG5 is 7kW as it's charged via the on board charger. The only way to get faster charging is with DC chargers.

Upvote 0
It's an easy mistake to make cos the single and three phase cable look very much the same .
1st Gen MG5 only have single Phase AC chargers.

Infact most EVs only have single phase AC chargers in the Uk, as AC is usually for home charging and our homes typically aren't on 3 phase.

Upvote 0
Matters not the cable being single or 3 phase if you are on AC the most you get on the early MG5 is 7kw as it's charged via the on board charger. The only way to get faster charging is with DC chargers.
FL has 11kW AC.

Upvote 0
1st Gen MG5 only have single Phase AC chargers.

Infact most EVs only have single phase AC chargers in the Uk, as AC is usually for home charging and our homes typically aren't on 3 phase.
Quite shocked ,I never would had believed it. Glad my MG is Manufactured 2022. I use my 3phase cable. I did by a single phase one without knowing. That charges at 21kW . I personally wouldn't use any higher because it would shorten the life span of the batteries.

Quite shocked ,I never would had believed it. Glad my MG is Manufactured 2022. I use my 3phase cable. I did by a single phase one without knowing. That charges at 21kw . I personally wouldn't use any higher because it would shorten the life span of the batteries.
My biggest Gripe is the 12V battery on the MG5 it's 7 months old and needs a new one, but dealer said when it gets down to 9V then change it 😕. So AA came out a few days ago cos battery low and lost some of system. Looks like I'm going to get an AGM or sealed Lead Acid replacement. How bad is that !!!

Upvote 0
I have a 22 ZS which had similar problems. After a couple of visits to the garage they told me there was a recall for this problem. They applied this and it now charges successfully most of the time. It may be worth asking an MG garage if there is something similar for your car.

Upvote 0
It is the first rapid charger we have used, but the car is second hand, so the previous owners may have used one. Zapmap says it is Gridserve.
We have had problems today and yesterday with gridserve chargers when we tried to charge our facelift ZS EV Trophy model. We found that we had to tell the car to start charging using the app or the infotainment screen. No problems with Gridserve when we do it that way now.

I've been told the best fast Chargers is 22kwh . Fast chargers higher than that can reduce your EV battery life, if used often.
You may find that your car charges slower when using the 22kW "charger" than it does when using the 7kW one. Not sure about the MG4 but I am sure the ZS and MG5 have a maximum charge rate of around 7kW.

Upvote 0
We have had problems today and yesterday with gridserve chargers when we tried to charge our facelift ZS EV Trophy model. We found that we had to tell the car to start charging using the app or the infotainment screen. No problems with gridserve when we do it that way now.

You may find that your car charges slower when using the 22kwh charger than it does when using the 7kwh one. Not sure about the MG4 but I am sure the ZS and MG5 have a maximum charge rate of around 7kwh.
This not quite accurate the FL MG5 has an onboard 11kW AC.

To be honest I thought the FL ZS did as well but been awhile since I looked at that.

Upvote 0
I understood that both the facelift MG ZS and MG 5 did not get the 11kW AC capability because the majority of UK homes were single phase. Maybe coincidence but whenever I have connected to the 22kW "chargers" they have always given me less than 6kW but I have always had the full amount when connecting to the 7kW chargers unless of course the car was nearing full charge. I don't have the MG 5 so cannot comment on that but both our mk1 ZS EV Exclusive and the ZS EV Trophy LR charge faster on the 7kW.

Upvote 0
The facelift MG5 charges at (just about) 11kwh on a 22kwh AC charger provided you use a three phase cable
This is correct and what I have. I use it on my local London public chargers weekly. I get 9.5 kW on average. For my FL MG5 that’s roughly 20% per hour.

I understood that both the facelift MG ZS and MG 5 did not get the 11kwh AC capability because the majority of UK homes were single phase. Maybe coincidence but whenever I have connected to the 22kwh chargers they have always given me less than 6kwh but I have always had the full amount when connecting to the 7kwh chargers unless of course the car was nearing full charge. I don't have the MG 5 so cannot comment on that but both our mk1 ZS EV Exclusive and the ZS EV Trophy LR charge faster on the 7kwh.
You do need to make sure you have the right cable. The MG cable that came with mine was not and got restricted to 7kW. Once I changed the cable I got the 11kW.

Upvote 0
I only have the single phase cable so therein lies the reason I only get the full 7kW on a 7kW "charger" and less on the 22kW "charger". Thanks for the info, every day is a school day lol. No idea where we would be if we only relied on the dealerships for info lol.

Upvote 0
There's also the possibility of Load sharing with other chargers or some other limit having been set if it's a public charger depending on how big the supply feeding it is.

Upvote 0
Hi,

We have an MG5 (registered January 2021 but it is a 70 plate) and it will not charge at a fast charger. No problems charging it at home or at a 7kw podpoint charger. We bought this second hand in March and the 90 day warranty is now up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge at a fast charger? Does the car require a software update?

Hi did you get a solution I’ve got this exact problem at the moment

Upvote 0
Yes. We took the car to an MG garage, it needed a software update and from then onwards we have been able to charge it at all fast chargers we have tried.
Thank you mines booked in tomorrow hopefully that’s all it needs exact same problem as you

Upvote 0
Hi,

We have an MG5 (registered January 2021 but it is a 70 plate) and it will not charge at a fast charger. No problems charging it at home or at a 7kw podpoint charger. We bought this second hand in March and the 90 day warranty is now up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it will not charge at a fast charger? Does the car require a software update?

Just for info, at home or a 7kW podpoint they are fast chargers. I presume you meant will not charge at Rapid chargers.
Anyway glad to hear it is sorted.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom