Miles/ kWh - Winter

How much miles/ kWh are you getting during these cold winter months with your MG ZS EV?

• Total voters
Are you pre heating the cabin I pre heat at 24
Mine starts at 2.1 and slowly creeps up as battery warms up normal 20miles ish but I don't use eco
I do preheat, but to 20 not 24 then switch down to 18 when I start the car. I haven't done any journeys longer than 12 miles. I am driving to London from Sussex on Sunday, so will be interesting to see what I get then.

I do preheat, but to 20 not 24 then switch down to 18 when I start the car. I haven't done any journeys longer than 12 miles. I am driving to London from Sussex on Sunday, so will be interesting to see what I get then.
Best over heat cabin on pre then heater uses alot less energy on your commute

No when pre heating your only pull power to heat car I done it 2 times this morning as -11 it used 1% of battery then your heating and driving your pulling amps out a lot faster as battery is supplying two things at once and a cold battery
The up side of pre heating is the residual current warm the batteries a bit so that helps too

No when pre heating your only pull power to heat car I done it 2 times this morning as -11 it used 1% of battery then your heating and driving your pulling amps out a lot faster as battery is supplying two things at once and a cold battery
The up side of pre heating is the residual current warm the batteries a bit so that helps too

OK, next time I will try to preheat to 24 and see if that makes a difference.

Just realised, I have only driven 407 miles since getting the car and have charged it 4 times already.
That's not like 10% to 100% is it? I charge every day normal do 80 miles a day but I do the same if I only to 20 miles 4x25% charge is still only one charge cycle same as 0 to 100

That's not like 10% to 100% is it? I charge every day normal do 80 miles a day but I do the same if I only to 20 miles 4x25% charge is still only one charge cycle same as 0 to 100
No, ≈10% to 80% x4 and actually I have also charged at home once (≈5% - ≈35%) in addition to that as I realised I didn't have enough to make it to the charger the following day.

Just turned on my heater remotely and the remaining miles has dropped from 77 to 73

Check in 10mins it will be back up it's just the same if you switch heating off when your driving range will go up
Actually that is something I have noticed in the ZS - the estimated range doesn't change if you switch the heater off. Only when switching between Normal and Eco does it update. In the Kona, I could reduce the temperature by 1 degree and the range would instantly go up by 2 or 3 miles.
Let's see what happens this time. It's now on 71 miles after the heater has switched off after 10 minutes limit.

I have a suspicion that the battery heater comes on if you heat the car, while it's plugged in, and below a set temperature. I haven't figured the exact pattern yet, but I'm sure it comes on sometimes.

So preheating at 24C did seem to make some difference to the m/kWh. Got an average of 2.9 over my 11.9 mile journey, however I lost 5 miles of range doing the preheat so not sure overall that it is worth it, unless the preheat is done whilst charging.
20221215_163244.jpg
20221215_175710.jpg

I've owned an Ioniq and just traded in a Kona, and I think we've been spoilt by the Hyundai GOM and heat pumps. The GOM was accurate to within a few miles (which I relied on a couple of times at the end of long journeys). With the MG, I now ignore the GOM and look at remaining % battery. The MG algorithm for calculating charge seems to have difficulty putting all the variable parameters together. On my long trip on Tuesday, the HVAC was set to 22 Celcius, fan on 4, and towrds the end of the journey I was getting 3.0m/kWh.

I'm seeing average 2.6 miles/kw on the display of my ZS EV SR, but in reality I'm only getting around 90 miles of range and the battery is down form 100% to around 20% after 70 miles and I have to charge again before I get range anxiety. That's a 50% drop. I'm hoping once this extreme weather is over, we will start seeing reasonable range again......

I've have been told in another thread about the characteristic of the SR battery causing the % battery to be inaccurate, but I just don't want to risk driving at such low levels. I keep an eye out of how many kWh to charge back to 100% and frustratingly it tallies with what the % battery reading is telling me so there isn't a hidden few % of battery that is not showing on the reading!!

So preheating at 24C did seem to make some difference to the m/kWh. Got an average of 2.9 over my 11.9 mile journey, however I lost 5 miles of range doing the preheat so not sure overall that it is worth it, unless the preheat is done whilst charging.
Yes pre heat when charging for the win as hot as you like so non of the interior suck the warmth away
You have gone from 2.2 to 2.9 no a very cold day in only 12 miles on a longer journey that's a massive improvement and whilst driving the battery is naturally getting warmer and warmer so should see better
And you get to start off in a nice warm car

I've owned an Ioniq and just traded in a Kona, and I think we've been spoilt by the Hyundai GOM and heat pumps. The GOM was accurate to within a few miles (which I relied on a couple of times at the end of long journeys). With the MG, I now ignore the GOM and look at remaining % battery. The MG algorithm for calculating charge seems to have difficulty putting all the variable parameters together. On my long trip on Tuesday, the HVAC was set to 22 Celcius, fan on 4, and towrds the end of the journey I was getting 3.0m/kWh.
I think you are right. Hyundai/Kia aren't perfect but they get the fundamentals right on this.

Most of my driving over the recent cold spell have been short range with very cold battery, after pre-heating the cabin to 22 degrees.

I'm getting 2.1 to 2.6 m/kWh depending on temperature which at 68kW usable battery equates to about 170m range - NOT Good !!, Would probably get better on longer journeys.

In the summer I was averaging better than 4m/kWh, which equates to better than the stated 273 range. In town that was nearer 4.5 giving a range of over 300.

According to my PodPoint app it has cost me £208 to charge my car since I got it in May, having done 2600 miles. Which equates to an average of 8p per mile.

I have used 761.6kWh of juice over that time. Even if I use my current, higher, amount per kWh of 32.24p it is £245.54 which equates to 9.4p per mile.

My wife's Suzuki Ignis (Much smaller car) averages 50 mpg, so at £1.50 per litre and 4.54 litres per gallon that equates to 13.6p per mile. Also, it has only done a few miles during the current cold weather, which would reduce this figure further.

I know that the current m/kWh is pretty crap but taking the whole time I have had the car and the fact that the last week or so it hasn't got above 0 degrees, I still think I'm winning the race against fossil fuel cars.

Hope my calculations are correct !!!!

I managed 3.8 average yesterday at -1C over 200 miles. How - by pre- heating the battery. I got it up to a toasty 20C before departing and initially managed around 3.7 m/kwh travelling around 60mph. This slowly dropped as the battery cooled so after 120 miles I topped up the battery and left with the battery temp at 26C. This then gave me 4.1 m/kwh until the battery started cooling. So the secret is to leave with a hot battery. Most of the time it was just seat heater with the HVAC off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom