Mirror assembly blocking drivers view?

PontyB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi everyone, looking for input from experienced HS PHEV owners please.

I test drove one this morning and it was a good drive. Had a couple of issues that honest feedback would be useful before I sign anything!
1. Am used to blind spot warning in the mirror not within the door edge, does it work well once you get used to looking there?
2. I'm 6 feet tall and found the rear view mirror very low plus all the black plastic housing the camera and upper screen gubbins was really intrusive meaning was having to dip down and look under it at junctions. Is this just me with it being a different car to my usual one or do others find this a real safety problem?

Many thanks in advance

You've got two threads on the go with this question.

May I suggest you get this one closed down as the other has responses now.

You've got two threads on the go with this question.

May I suggest you get this one closed down as the other has responses now.
Couldn't see how to delete it tbh Zman? Can find edit, but if scrub the text it just says error as no title etc. Thanks

The stalk part of the rear view mirror can actually be pushed up abit, not alot, but it does help a little. For some reason they all seem to be delivered with the stalk extended down.

I wish there was somebody that could 3D print a 2-3 cm longer stalk for phev users , so we could just pop.the old one off and replace with the 3D printed one , so it could be higher up in the car.

I have the same issue. I'm 1m87

Took a second test drive yesterday, armed with a list of things read on here or seen or YT. The rear view mirror and housing seems to cut off about 50% of the center section of the screen, which is about the same as the two visors, so didn't think it would cause to much of a problem. I did not realise you could move the mirror stalk so that would help.

The stalk part of the rear view mirror can actually be pushed up abit, not alot, but it does help a little. For some reason they all seem to be delivered with the stalk extended down.
Hi can use do this on the mg5 Lr
Cheers
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hi can use do this on the mg5 Lr
Cheers
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Hi all
In answer to my own question
Yes the rear view mirror does move up and down in an mg5
See photos
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Attachments

• 209068D2-1084-46FD-943A-6882D4B55B54.jpeg
    209068D2-1084-46FD-943A-6882D4B55B54.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 457
  • CB2CD605-5BA4-4F7D-BFDD-DEE72D50867C.jpeg
    CB2CD605-5BA4-4F7D-BFDD-DEE72D50867C.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 340
I wish there was somebody that could 3D print a 2-3 cm longer stalk for phev users , so we could just pop.the old one off and replace with the 3D printed one , so it could be higher up in the car.

I have the same issue. I'm 1m87
Not a bad idea

Thanks for that tip. I have now been able to raise the mirror so that I can also raise my driver seating position as I like to 'sit high' which I was unable to do with the mirror in the lower position as delivered. Great tip !

I‘m 6’1” and also find the rear view mirror forms a real obstruction to my forward vision, particularly when turning left. I have just been trying to raise my mirror without success. I also tried lowering it in case it had already been raised. I can’t get it to move and am reluctant to push or pull it strongly in case I break the stalk. How much pressure is needed? (There is a sleeve on the stem that does slide up and down)

Had another go. I had been trying to push it up but it’s more of a swing up. Grateful for the tip which has given me a better view.

I keep saying if someone can print out a new stalk that's little longer and a little bit curved....I would love to drive the car even more.... 🙂

Any can a photo of the mirror in the higher position? Preferably showing the stalk of the mirror so I can compare. I’m not sure whether mine is up or down, I had a yank and push at it but it didn’t move.

Any can a photo of the mirror in the higher position? Preferably showing the stalk of the mirror so I can compare. I’m not sure whether mine is up or down, I had a yank and push at it but it didn’t move.
Hi
My photos show it in an Mg5
1st photo- mirror in down position
2nd photo- mirror in up position
The mirror kind of pivots from the windscreen
Pull it back and upwards in a arc movement
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Attachments

• A64BA0A6-09EA-4384-85D8-61FBE6ADFAED.jpeg
    A64BA0A6-09EA-4384-85D8-61FBE6ADFAED.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 8DC5D50C-9DED-4F2C-BBA1-90334D7720FA.jpeg
    8DC5D50C-9DED-4F2C-BBA1-90334D7720FA.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 289
Hi
My photos show it in an Mg5
1st photo- mirror in down position
2nd photo- mirror in up position
The mirror kind of pivots from the windscreen
Pull it back and upwards in a arc movement
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Many thanks for the photos. Much appreciated. Looks like my mirror is in the down position, now have to get it up without breaking it 😅.

It’s not a push up or pull down but more of a swinging motion. If your mirror is down as mine was, gently pull it with a swinging motion towards you. You won’t gain much but there is a slight improvement. I’m 6’1” and still find it’s an obstruction.
I’ve had my Red Exclusive for 3 months 3k miles now.

Likes.
I plug it in daily to max charge and run the electricity down to nearly zero daily. It proving economical, certainly compared to my diesel Freelander SD4 Series 2.
It’s a good looking car, very much like the Mazda CX-5.
It’s roomy and comfortable.
With its list price 0% finance it an absolute bargain compared with any similar spec car.

Dislikes.
The aforementioned mirror still obstructing my forward near side vision and preventing me being able to raise the seat higher.
The mirrors not staying folded over 10 mph. Lots of narrow lanes where I drive where I would like them to stay folded
The often mentioned lag when in ev mode which has caught me out when overtaking.

Overall I’m happy with my purchase

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom