Missing stuff

5teep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Low speed warning noise (for pedestrians) - I don't think the MG5 has it, at least I seem to keep finding people stepping out in front of me as if they can't hear me coming.

I've not yet seen an indication on the dash display that the lights are on when they are in auto (maybe I just missed it). Driving today in heavy rain I had no idea if my lights were on or off so put them on manually (and had the lights symbol light up on the dash)

The low speed warning is definitely there. Simple test is to roll the windows down and pop it in and out of neutral at 5mph; you'll notice a big difference.

The auto lights aren't sensitive to rain, just darkness. The DRLs are bright enough for me not to worry but using manual lights is the only solution here.

The low speed warning is definitely there. Simple test is to roll the windows down and pop it in and out of neutral at 5mph; you'll notice a big difference.

The auto lights aren't sensitive to rain, just darkness. The DRLs are bright enough for me not to worry but using manual lights is the only solution here.
Shame that the lights aren’t triggered by wipers and speed - my old Ford has this and it always felt useful on motorway in a downpour. Wonder how many of these features could be added by software (if MG were so inclined) or if a hardware limitation

Many pedestrians do not understand that there are vehicles on the road that are near silent. The pedestrian warning goes off above 20mph so is pretty useless if you are on a 30mph road. I try to teach my son to stop, look and look again. Unfortunately you will have to remember that people dawdling across the road cannot hear you coming.

Many pedestrians do not understand that there are vehicles on the road that are near silent. The pedestrian warning goes off above 20mph so is pretty useless if you are on a 30mph road. I try to teach my son to stop, look and look again. Unfortunately you will have to remember that people dawdling across the road cannot hear you coming.
The sound isn't needed at higher speeds because the tyres on the road are loud enough.

Shame that the lights aren’t triggered by wipers and speed - my old Ford has this and it always felt useful on motorway in a downpour. Wonder how many of these features could be added by software (if MG were so inclined) or if a hardware limitation
The only problem with raising the sensitivity of the auto lights is that at high sensitivity, they would come on quicker and would be going on and off every time you went under a bridge.
I had this problem with the Prius, there's a railway bridge near where I live and a T-juction just beyond it, which is notoriously difficult to get out of when it's busy. As I passed under the bridge, the auto lights would come on and people at the junction thought I was flashing them to come out. This is compounded by the fact you can't turn the auto lights off on the Prius.
IMO the MG is just the right sensitivity, I know I have to turn the lights to manual on when it rains, no doubts or wondering if they're on.

Unfortunately you will have to remember that people dawdling across the road cannot hear you coming.
It is sensible addition for helping both blind and the visually impaired people of the world.
At least they have some chance of HEARING the car approaching.
Spare a thought 💭.

I think it very much depends on the person. My son declared "that sounds like daddy's car" when I went to collect them from the grandparents. And that was from inside the house with the windows shut! It definitely works, but perhaps it's better for younger ears, or those who know what they're listening for?

Now and again i have to shout "morning" to the security gateman at work.
He can't hear the car approach so if not paying attention he's oblivious I'm there.

It is sensible addition for helping both blind and the visually impaired people of the world.
Spare a thought 💭.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I've always wondered how visually impaired people deal with bicycles or joggers. Fully Charged did a video about this years ago when a blind man was interviewed over it and he was impressed by how quiet the car was but thought the worry over it was way over hyped.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I've always wondered how visually impaired people deal with bicycles or joggers. Fully Charged did a video about this years ago when a blind man was interviewed over it and he was impressed by how quiet the car was but thought the worry over it was way over hyped.
I think It has become a legal requirement now, that is why you are not allowed to disable this function on newer models.
Earlier EV models did have the facility to turn it off, but not anymore I don’t think.

Spare a thought 💭.
You seem to misunderstand. I am not saying that the pedestrian sound is a bad thing but that people who are only used to the sound of ICE vehicles will not understand it is a car approaching. The driver of the EV will need to acknowledge this fact and take extra care.

I think driving an EV at the moment need to take into account that people can't really hear them coning and unfortunately a lot of people don't look. At my junction you can guarantee over half of the people won't see me coming.

In 10 years time people will be more aware but for now we need to remember to take extra care.

I've had a couple of issues: First was leaving a car park, someone was stood with their back to me. Beeping the horn felt to aggressive, and I couldn't give the engine a little blip that I would have done previously.
She did jump a bit when she realised a car had crept up on her. All very good natured though.
The second was managing to run over a pigeon that didn't get out of the way (I was only doing less than 20). We heard a small clunk from underneath, only to see it fly away in the rear view mirror.

Even the livestock get caught out with EVs!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom