MK2 SR 5% Battery degrade after 6000 miles 1 yr old

SKA

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. As title says, we have had the car for exactly one year, done 6k miles. Just hacked the very first service done today, and the dealer had told us the SOH is 95%. We have always AC charged, (only once 50kw test charge 20kwh at Lidl). I personally do not know no if this is normal or not? What are others like?

I don't think aftermarket dongles can be more accurate than dealer tool so I can only assume what I was told is what it is..

Unfortunately we do not lease our vehicle, which means we are hoping to keep it for some time, I don't know what % is considered to be defective within the warranty, but logically speaking after 7 years the SOH is only at 60s % .

Am I right with the above assumption?..

Thanks

Hi all. As title says, we have had the car for exactly one year, done 6k miles. Just hacked the very first service done today, and the dealer had told us the SOH is 95%. We have always AC charged, (only once 50kw test charge 20kwh at Lidl). I personally do not know no if this is normal or not? What are others like?

I don't think aftermarket dongles can be more accurate than dealer tool so I can only assume what I was told is what it is..

Unfortunately we do not lease our vehicle, which means we are hoping to keep it for some time, I don't know what % is considered to be defective within the warranty, but logically speaking after 7 years the SOH is only at 60s % .

Thanks
I don't think this is a surprise as people have noticed the SR degradation appears to be on a timer and not giving a realistic reading
As for warranty it's set at 70%
Screenshot_20230327-124403.png

Last edited:
Battery degredation is not linear, and you also have the buffer which hides some of the loss. Apparently, new batteries degrade quickly after manufacture and then it evens off (depending on use and rapid charging frequency).

I think time will tell... If it drops I hope it drops to a point i can have a warranty replacement but as with any warranty, I bet you they will just be over the 70% as soon as it hits 7 years and 1 month lol

Thanks
I've had my 2020 Gen 1 from new, The SOH is 98.42 with 3300 miles on the clock, Never ever been fast charged.

Thanks
Have you been balance charging the battery?

Battery degredation is not linear, and you also have the buffer which hides some of the loss. Apparently, new batteries degrade quickly after manufacture and then it evens off (depending on use and rapid charging frequency).
I would agree and this is the case with the MNC but @Peter WA has been monitoring his LFP battery and it looks a bit suspicious?
Like clockwork it ticks down in a straight line. 0.0104% a day. 3.8% a year.

Last edited:
Missus 69 plate, MG ZS EV MK1 is at 46500mi and 9.1% degredation, only been on a rapid twice, rest of the time AC charging.

69 plate Zs ev mk1, 44k and 8% degradation, mostly granny charged, fast charged once a week, very rarely rapid.

The SOH of my car is almost identical to SKA at 95.92% (4.08% degragation) Car is 10 month old and only driven over 3,500 miles. I presumed all LFP battery behave the same unlike NMC battery that retains 100% SOH even after a year of ownership.

Attachments

• C6E2762D-4C57-42BF-86F9-12EDD1327A0F.jpeg
    C6E2762D-4C57-42BF-86F9-12EDD1327A0F.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 67
Is the SOH of the LFP SR Mk2 represented by a reduced range figures? My 2019 Mk1 NMC ZSEV had about 8.5% degradation and the fully charged, all trip counters reset, range was showing 163 * (1-0.085) = 149 miles. Sadly, this was also about the actual range that it was achieving

This is quite interesting and puzzling at the same time. Following the first service last June on my SR MG5, I was told by the dealership that my battery SOH was 85%. This was a bit of a surprise to me as the car had under 5k and had 90% of charging on my home charger. It is now coming up to the second service and I have noticed no difference in overall range whatsoever, and when I use a dongle car scan it says the SOH is 100%. I‘m interested to know how people are checking their own SOH and can an accurate measurement be taken if the batteries are not fully charged When testing?

It wouldn't surprise me if your dealership failed to check and simply made up a number thinking it would be meaningless to you. I'm more inclined to believe the OBD.

This is quite interesting and puzzling at the same time. Following the first service last June on my SR MG5, I was told by the dealership that my battery SOH was 85%. This was a bit of a surprise to me as the car had under 5k and had 90% of charging on my home charger. It is now coming up to the second service and I have noticed no difference in overall range whatsoever, and when I use a dongle car scan it says the SOH is 100%. I‘m interested to know how people are checking their own SOH and can an accurate measurement be taken if the batteries are not fully charged When testing?
My understanding is that the internal resistance of the HV battery is used by the manufacturer as a proxy for the SOH. The internal resistance increases as the battery degrades. It is measured using an AC signal and can be measured at any state of charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom