Motorway efficiency test MG4 Trophy

EV batteries don't (usually) like being left at 100% charge (except for the LFP in the SR), and they don't like being taken below 10% state of charge. But doing it occasionally and then charging back up soon thereafter shouldn't lead to any issues - certainly not within the expected life of the vehicle.

Aerodynamics and wind affect EV range much more than ICE vehicles, so these are not that surprising findings. When towing a trailer, EVs can suffer a massive reduction in range (half or less) due to these effects.

The main reason is that EVs are far more efficient in the first place, so they are consequently more affected by changes in conditions (temperature, winds, gradients, drag).

The manufacturers COULD have given us highly aerodynamic ICE vehicles that achieve 100mpg+ but they didn't.

Last edited:
Yes, the reason for EVs showing the drastic effects of aero resistance is that the (high) efficiency of electric drive doesn't vary much with speed or load - unlike the ICE, which is very inefficient outside its optimum conditions (usually full throttle at roughly 2,200 rpm).

Yes, the reason for EVs showing the drastic effects of aero resistance is that the (high) efficiency of electric drive doesn't vary much with speed or load - unlike the ICE, which is very inefficient outside its optimum conditions (usually full throttle at roughly 2,200 rpm).
Spot on. Or because ICE vehicles are so inefficient anyway, the impact is less.

Diving off on a different tangent, has anybody tried removing the plastic "aero" wheel covers to see if this causes a significant reduction in range or not, and whether there are any aesthetic benefits of having the naked alloy wheels?

There are photos in one of the threads here of the wheels with no aero covers.

The user manual explains how to remove them. (Page 262)

Check out this thread for what it can look like without the covers. Edit: Message 50.

Last edited:
...With sensing the wind strength, I'd just check a weather app for wind speed and direction. If the average wind speed is 15mph or below I'd expect the impact to be far more minimal. Away from the North and West these days aren't too frequent.
(my bold)

Those apps are very good - and it should be remembered that they monitor wind speeds at 10m height. At ground level, they should be significantly lower than shown (at least, on average), so range should be less adversely affected...

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back