My First Error Messages

Expat Ever

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My car, an MG4 Thailand Model X (equivalent to the UK Trophy) is two months old today and I have had no issues apart from the strange decisions MG opted for in the firmware - the most unforgivable being the need to reset all my driving preferences every time I enter the car. As a birthday surprise, the car presented me with the following two error messages this morning directly after System Ready was announced:

Intelligent Driving Assist Sensor Failure: Consult Handbook
Forward Collision Assist Fault: Consult Handbook

I have looked through the online manual (I assume this is what they mean by Handbook) in the car and searched the pdf file I have here on my computer but can't find anything helpful referring to error or warning messages or any of the key words above. My dealer isn't too far away so I'll probably have to pay them a visit (Troubleshooting in Thai is beyond my language skills) but in the meantime I thought I'd see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

That would suggest to me that the radar sensor on the front of the car has an issue. (If the windscreen camera was blocked you'd usually get a lot more warnings, and features deactivated).

I thought that and checked the front of the car for visible damage etc. I did wash it myself for the first time at the weekend, but avoided using the pressure washer on any of the sensors or cameras. Maybe I wasn't careful enough...

I thought that and checked the front of the car for visible damage etc. I did wash it myself for the first time at the weekend, but avoided using the pressure washer on any of the sensors or cameras. Maybe I wasn't careful enough...
Hi Expat Ever,
I too am having the same error messages displayed on my MG4 Trophy.
How did you get the error messages resolved please ?

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpeg
    IMG_0440.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0439.jpeg
    IMG_0439.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 209
I've occasionally got these errors messages. But once I've started driving they disappear and everything works as normal. I think it could be pressing the footbreak too quickly when you enter the car

When I get these messages it occurs when the infotainment screen has not powered up or is late powering up. I reset the screen using the home button if necessary and power down the car from the screen. I then press the brake pedal and everything comes to life normally.

I've never seen those particular messages, only the auto-hold fault one. I'm also 100% sure that the auto-hold fault is not related to pressing the brake before the infotainment screen has booted. I do this all the time and nothing happens. Conversely I once sat down in the car and did absolutely nothing, and the auto-hold fault popped up. (Got out and got back in again, fault disappeared. Otherwise I'd have had to drive without auto-hold for that journey, although to be fair that's hardly an imposition.)

I've occasionally got these errors messages. But once I've started driving they disappear and everything works as normal. I think it could be pressing the footbreak too quickly when you enter the car
Me too, seems to occur when infotainment is a bit slow waking up.

I’ve had exactly the same thing while driving. Stopped, turned the car off (got out, locked it) and then got back in and it cleared it all.

I believe it to be a module timing thing where sequences are corrupted. Restarting the screen and then powering down from the screen, allows the correct sequence and cancels the errors. Pressing the brake pedal brings the car to its operating state. To me, this process is the same as getting out, locking, unlocking and getting back in again. Losing the errors after driving for a while could be explained by the housekeeping software regularly checking the individual subsystems and declaring them working/not working

It looks like the error message appearances are a common issue - I still get occasional AutoHold and front collision system warnings which disappear spontaneously or after a restart.
Just when I was getting blasé about this, the car decided to up the ante: last week I pulled over for a couple of minutes to check a destination address and when I tried to move off, everything had stopped working. The screens ware on but unresponsive and pressing the footbrake didn't help. Out of the car, locking with the door button and starting over with the key fob restored normal service but it shook my wife's confidence in the car and I suspect it will be a while until she feels comfortable driving it alone.

Last edited:
This happened to me today. I got both errors. I reset the infotainment and also shutdown the car. Problem still there. Went to the Deaaler and they told me that there is an Update that needs to be done. As I went late and they were closing down, I was told to go again tomorrow. Drove to another location and when I returned to the car, the errors were gone.

Autohold error is a nothingburger. It's not triggered by anything, it just happens at random, and only once in a while. I had it a few times when I first got the car but hardly ever since. It can happen even if you sit down and touch nothing.

Two courses of action. Get out of the car. Lock the door. Unlock it again, sit down and proceed. Or, ignore it and drive without autohold. You just have to remember either to keep your foot on the brake when stationary, or to activate the handbrake. It will disappear the next time you use the car anyway.

Don't let them give you R16 or R21 on your infotainment screen (SE owners) just for that, it's not worth losing your external temperature display for.

Sounds painful.

Sounds like my Duolingo German lesson. Max kann nicht kommen, sein Fuß ist gebrochen.

You do not have to get out of the car to reset autohold. Just power down from the info screen and then press the brake. The car will power up and I often SE the autohold button move across from off to on.

Thats exactly what I noticed. If you let the car boot up before pressing the brake it does not happen. If you jump in and put your foot on the brake as you sit down it's like those systems have not started when the computer comes to life and you get all sorts of errors.

You do not have to get out of the car to reset autohold. Just power down from the info screen and then press the brake. The car will power up and I often SE the autohold button move across from off to on.

When I tried that it didn't seem to work. I should try again.

Lots of times I get in the car and drive off immediately without waiting anything to boot up and get no errors. Other times I get in, sit down, touch nothing, and get the autohold error.

This happened to me today. I got both errors. I reset the infotainment and also shutdown the car. Problem still there. Went to the Deaaler and they told me that there is an Update that needs to be done. As I went late and they were closing down, I was told to go again tomorrow. Drove to another location and when I returned to the car, the errors were gone.
Took the car to the dealer. They checked it out and told me there is nothing wrong. But if it happens again, then we will do a deeper diagnostics.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back