My replacement for the MG4 - the E-Golf

Dan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So as some of you may know I had my MG4 since launch and it’s safe to say I had quite a few issues -

*Gearbox leaking oil
*Glovebox damaged
*seat upholstery badly crinkled / constructed
*Warped undertray
*Rear taillight developing micro cracks and condensation
*Embarrassing noisy air con pump
*Dashboard soft touch material developing bubbles between layers
*Software issues - lane kill assist, random yellow triangle warning light, terribly judged ACC.
*Sticking front brakes that clunked when ACC was used.

Need less to say the MG4 is now gone and I’ve replace it with an approved used E-golf as it fit my budget and needs.

So how does it compare…..

Well the MG4 certainly had the better battery ( LFP, larger capacity ) and the motor had more power and lovely RWD traction, also the MG4 was one of the best handling cars I’ve ever had.

However apart from the above ( which are very big factors ) the E-golf beats it in every single way.

I no longer have buggy software, lane kill assist and build quality issues. My aircon pump is quite as a mouse and so is the car in general ( no clunking from the HV contactors like the MG did when opening doors etc ). It also has nice little touches everywhere like rear interior lights, a rear window you can actually see out of and a rear wiper.

Furthermore the auto wipers and auto lights just work and the adaptive cruise control is superb.

I wish you all the best with your MG4’s, I just didn’t trust my one. I would also say that MG need to seriously improve their reputation - arguing that poorly manufactured parts are “characteristics” of the car is not acceptable.

Attachments

• IMG_6852.jpeg
    IMG_6852.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6851.jpeg
    IMG_6851.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 68
After owning a Golf GTE PHEV for over four years, I knew my next car would have to be a full BEV.
I was keen to purchase an eGolf and booked a test drive.
I enjoyed the drive very much but found the range to be too short.
The equipment level on the eGolf was extremely disappointing after the GTE.
The interior trim was almost like a basic Golf and the exterior was very similar.
Considering ( at the time ) this was the most expensive Golf you could buy, it came up a little sort.
The heat pump model added almost another £1,000 to the price.
Nice car but expensive for what it offers I found.

After owning a Golf GTE PHEV for over four years, I knew my next car would have to be a full BEV.
I was keen to purchase an eGolf and booked a test drive.
I enjoyed the drive very much but found the range to be too short.
The equipment level on the eGolf was extremely disappointing after the GTE.
The interior trim was almost like a basic Golf and the exterior was very similar.
Considering ( at the time ) this was the most expensive Golf you could buy, it came up a little sort.
The heat pump model added almost another £1,000 to the price.
Nice car but expensive for what it offers I found.
Yep I know what you’re saying about the range, it’s fine for me but obviously would be lovely if it was more. The equipment one is a weird one with the e-golf as most things fancy were optional. Out of the 20 cars available through VW only the one I got had heated seats !

With the E-UP that car came with every option as standard and I feel that’s what the golf should have ideally had.

So as some of you may know I had my MG4 since launch and it’s safe to say I had quite a few issues -

*Gearbox leaking oil
*Glovebox damaged
*seat upholstery badly crinkled / constructed
*Warped undertray
*Rear taillight developing micro cracks and condensation
*Embarrassing noisy air con pump
*Dashboard soft touch material developing bubbles between layers
*Software issues - lane kill assist, random yellow triangle warning light, terribly judged ACC.
*Sticking front brakes that clunked when ACC was used.

Need less to say the MG4 is now gone and I’ve replace it with an approved used E-golf as it fit my budget and needs.

So how does it compare…..

Well the MG4 certainly had the better battery ( LFP, larger capacity ) and the motor had more power and lovely RWD traction, also the MG4 was one of the best handling cars I’ve ever had.

However apart from the above ( which are very big factors ) the E-golf beats it in every single way.

I no longer have buggy software, lane kill assist and build quality issues. My aircon pump is quite as a mouse and so is the car in general ( no clunking from the HV contactors like the MG did when opening doors etc ). It also has nice little touches everywhere like rear interior lights, a rear window you can actually see out of and a rear wiper.

Furthermore the auto wipers and auto lights just work and the adaptive cruise control is superb.

I wish you all the best with your MG4’s, I just didn’t trust my one. I would also say that MG need to seriously improve their reputation - arguing that poorly manufactured parts are “characteristics” of the car is not acceptable.
Lane Kill Assist (LKA) I am going to use that one - not the actual LKA of course, just the phrase

Lane Kill Assist (LKA) I am going to use that one - not the actual LKA of course, just the phrase
No better way to describe it to be honest. Completely not fit for purpose and beyond annoying having to dive into that sub menu to turn it off at the beginning of every journey !

Yep I know what you’re saying about the range, it’s fine for me but obviously would be lovely if it was more. The equipment one is a weird one with the e-golf as most things fancy were optional. Out of the 20 cars available through VW only the one I got had heated seats !

With the E-UP that car came with every option as standard and I feel that’s what the golf should have ideally had.
If you can’t get one with a heat pump, then heated seats are a very good choice.
The car is very much stripped back and the options are expensive as you say.
When I was looking into the eGolf - I had a wish list for a heat pump, heated front seats the digital dash.
The closest I ever got, was finding a X Demo model that had the dash and the heated seats.
But honestly, not one dealer was interested in selling me a full EV.
The prices were stupid high and they kept pointing back towards ICE or another PHEV.
The ID3 was not released as of that time and therefore VW had nothing to offer, then I spotted the ZS EV with all of the incentives.
It was a no brainer at the time.
Sold the Golf PHEV for a good price as it had been pulled from production at that time.
Then waited for the ZS EV to arrive, while using my wife’s car as a stop gap.

Good luck - Ive got a 1200 mile VW T-Roc and 14000 mile MG4 on the drive, no issues on either, but do prefer one over the other.
I traded my 2021 T-Roc R for the MG4 trophy LR ( 3 weeks old ) and I didn't like the roc and found it really uncomfortable and handled like a tea trolley on ice! For a car with 300bhp it was so sluggish and even tho the MG is 100hp less it seems quite quick and handles so well In the corners. It's loads more comfortable than the roc but the infotainment was so much better tho and not laggy like it is I'm the MG. So far I'm happy with it and will definitely need new tyres soon as it drifts for fun if you turn off all the safety stuff .

A T-Roc is a Golf on stilts to be fair 🤣.
So the handling between a pumped up Golf / cross over and a lower ride height of a five door hatchback, is never going to be a race that the crossover is ever going to win.
They are like chalk and cheese TBH.
300 Hp in a crossover is never going to feel as planted / handle like a lower ride height of a hatchback / saloon model.
How many SUV’s / crossovers do you see entered into track motor sports events for example ?.

very sorry for you experiences. it seems you got the first batch of the lot. it is unfortunate that the MG basecamp ( china) is not prepared to the fullest BEFORE selling their car.
i have to wait for the V2l, wall charger, ismart Tbox upgrade hardware and software.. and its been 2 months already since i took delivery.
if Mg is serious in the ev market, they should prep ALL and everything first before selling their products...

I loved my Mk 7 Golfs - just the right amount of tech (that was reliable), a good ride / handling compromise and a nice quaity interior. Also genererally a good dealer network always willng to help without a quibble ! (JCT 600 Wakefield for me). Enjoy your car 👍. The Mk 8 is a different story !!

I loved my Mk 7 Golfs - just the right amount of tech (that was reliable), a good ride / handling compromise and a nice quaity interior. Also genererally a good dealer network always willng to help without a quibble ! (JCT 600 Wakefield for me). Enjoy your car 👍. The Mk 8 is a different story !!
Thanks, we already have a MK7 petrol golf that we have had for a few years and love it.

fudge knows what they were thinking with the gimmicky interior of the mk8, give me proper knobs and buttons anyday.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back