Navigation problem with a brand new ZS EV

DrErhan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I will try to summarise my MG adventure starting with a total disappointment ... And I need your advices about my case , please do help me with your comments ...

We collected our brand new ZS EV on 4th of May Wednesday at 5:30 pm from X dealer ( I didn't want to share here now ) . The salesman that was dealing with us , has been disappeared and left the company as they said . So another salesman dealed with us and helped for the handover process unvalunterly and we were almost given the keys and pushed out of the building . ( And it was almost the closing time of the showroom . Perhaps because of it he behaved like that . )
Anyway he didn't explained anything about the car and they even hadn't made a daily insurance for the car and even so , he was trying to send us home without insurance .
Now stand still please , all these I'd told are nothing , the real story is coming now . My wife had drop me to the dealers showroom and we planned to drive to back home together in separate cars . We didn't know the area , so , as normal we wished to use the navigation to find the way ... My wife told me to drive front of her . I open the sat nav of the car it seems normal . I enter our home address and it find the address as well . It planned and calculated the rota . It still seems good . And I pressed the Go button to direct us home and i started to drive . But guess what happened ... The point was showing the car position in the navigation screen was not moving . It stands still while i was driving ... So i was panicked and called my wife . I told her the situation and said there is a problem with it . We thought to turn back to the showroom but they already closed and left the showroom . By the way , the time was getting late and we left the kids behind at home so we were in a rush to go back home . I thought, i couldn't manage to run it properly and I thought i would have solve the issue buy simply reading the manual book when we arrive home ... At home I tried everything but it was not moving . It can find where the car is ( for example when we arrived home and stopped the car and restarted it again it exactly knows what is the location ... Ohh sorry i shouldn't say exactly because it knows our street name house number city etc. but what the post code it shows is wrong with one different letter ... Wierd ... ) I checked every line in the menu but nothing solved the problem ... I tried to find similar subjects from this forum but i could find nothing about this , as i may see . I think I'm the only one having such a problem , nobody have had such an issue before . I thought perhaps it may update itself after i bind the car to the MG iSmart App ... It was hard but i managed to set up and bind the car but nothing has been changed . We send an email telling the issue about the car and they told we can bring the car on 6th of May , Friday on the phone ... ( Which is my birthday ... ) I popped in to the showroom couldnt see the salesman so i spoke with the service receptionist. But they told me that i have to make a booking to check my car . It was frustrating indeed but i managed to stay calm and told them that the Salesman has told that i may come today and they would simply solve the problem . They didn't want to accept the car without booking but after a bit insisting on they said Ok but you might wait till 5 pm ... I do believe that it was probably a simple software update problem and they would solve it easily but they told that they may need to change the unit completely and they told the radio isn't working properly as well . ( I had felt it was functioning a bit wierd but i didn't care about it much but the navigation was a big problem for me because I may need to find the fast charging points while i was travelling and the best way to find one is using navigation .)

This news that i wasn't expected made me totally disappointed and i remembered all the things people said that it is not a British brand it's Chinese product and not reliable etc . I suddenly felt myself in regret.
This was a brand new car and i faced with such a problem on the first day . Overall the car was driving good and all other functions were working as much as i can see . But i didn't want to have a repaired car . It isn't fair , i pay the listing price but getting a refurbished one . So i thought to refund the car . I don't know much about this but as i know i have a right to refund it for such a big problem . Because the unit which was they calling the entertainment unit is the brain of the car and all of the car functions are controlling on it .

So what I'm requesting is your comments . And has anyone heard anything about such similar issue with their new car . I wanted to ask you first before o talk with my solicitor . I'm of course planning to write a mail to the dealer company and to the MG-UK distributors and even to the global center of MG . But i cannot decide what to do . Should i demand another car or should i refund ( which they told me that it's impossible in the word ) or to accept their repair and get a compensation if they offer me for a faulty car ...

P.S : Even i told them it's a special day and everybody is waiting for me at home they didn't give me a priority ( at the beginning till a gentleman ,i guess one of the manager of service department , came and helped me ... Many thanks to him ) and they made me wait till 4 pm . And they did some pointless long road test which caused to consuming my charge to drive home . And i made a stressful journey on the way to home .

I do apologies all of you for this very long text but each comments or any idea or an offer will be very valuable and helpful to make up my mind ...

Thank you ...

hi
did you take a look here?

From the Sat Nav map screen press the button with 3 dots.
Then press the button More Settings.
Then press Manage Features.
Slide the slider next to Dead Reckoning to turn it off.

For someone who is still waiting on their ZS EV... What on earth does dead reckoning even mean in this context?!
Dead reckoning is a term that comes from sailing and aviation and pre-dates GPS navigation systems by a few hundred years; it plots a course directly from where one is, to where one wants to be ignoring any and all obstacles in the way (and things such as magnetic variation, windage/leeway etc.). The captain/navigator of said vessel draws a line onto the chart and helms/flies in the direction, amending their course as required to follow the track.

What use it has in a modern, road-based navigation system is anyone's guess and certainly it should not be enabled by default.

Dead reckoning is a term that comes from sailing and aviation and pre-dates GPS navigation systems by a few hundred years; it plots a course directly from where one is, to where one wants to be ignoring any and all obstacles in the way (and things such as magnetic variation, windage/leeway etc.). The captain/navigator of said vessel draws a line onto the chart and helms/flies in the direction, amending their course as required to follow the track.

What use it has in a modern, road-based navigation system is anyone's guess and certainly it should not be enabled by default.
Thanks, a much more interesting answer than I expected! As you say, odd seeing it in a modern navigation system.
I believe @JohnInFrance has already addressed this same question by yourself in another thread ?.
Must've been someone else

I can't believe the opening post isn't a wind up of some sort.

For someone who is still waiting on their ZS EV... What on earth does dead reckoning even mean in this context?!
Most straightforward answer posted here already ⬇️ :
It's meant to keep your sat nav position up to date using speed and direction when no GPS signal is available e.g. in tunnel. However, turning this on in the facelift model stops your position being updated altogether therefore best to leave off until software update appears

I will try to summarise my MG adventure starting with a total disappointment ... And I need your advices about my case , please do help me with your comments ...

We collected our brand new ZS EV on 4th of May Wednesday at 5:30 pm from X dealer ( I didn't want to share here now ) . The salesman that was dealing with us , has been disappeared and left the company as they said . So another salesman dealed with us and helped for the handover process unvalunterly and we were almost given the keys and pushed out of the building . ( And it was almost the closing time of the showroom . Perhaps because of it he behaved like that . )
Anyway he didn't explained anything about the car and they even hadn't made a daily insurance for the car and even so , he was trying to send us home without insurance .
Now stand still please , all these I'd told are nothing , the real story is coming now . My wife had drop me to the dealers showroom and we planned to drive to back home together in separate cars . We didn't know the area , so , as normal we wished to use the navigation to find the way ... My wife told me to drive front of her . I open the sat nav of the car it seems normal . I enter our home address and it find the address as well . It planned and calculated the rota . It still seems good . And I pressed the Go button to direct us home and i started to drive . But guess what happened ... The point was showing the car position in the navigation screen was not moving . It stands still while i was driving ... So i was panicked and called my wife . I told her the situation and said there is a problem with it . We thought to turn back to the showroom but they already closed and left the showroom . By the way , the time was getting late and we left the kids behind at home so we were in a rush to go back home . I thought, i couldn't manage to run it properly and I thought i would have solve the issue buy simply reading the manual book when we arrive home ... At home I tried everything but it was not moving . It can find where the car is ( for example when we arrived home and stopped the car and restarted it again it exactly knows what is the location ... Ohh sorry i shouldn't say exactly because it knows our street name house number city etc. but what the post code it shows is wrong with one different letter ... Wierd ... ) I checked every line in the menu but nothing solved the problem ... I tried to find similar subjects from this forum but i could find nothing about this , as i may see . I think I'm the only one having such a problem , nobody have had such an issue before . I thought perhaps it may update itself after i bind the car to the MG iSmart App ... It was hard but i managed to set up and bind the car but nothing has been changed . We send an email telling the issue about the car and they told we can bring the car on 6th of May , Friday on the phone ... ( Which is my birthday ... ) I popped in to the showroom couldnt see the salesman so i spoke with the service receptionist. But they told me that i have to make a booking to check my car . It was frustrating indeed but i managed to stay calm and told them that the Salesman has told that i may come today and they would simply solve the problem . They didn't want to accept the car without booking but after a bit insisting on they said Ok but you might wait till 5 pm ... I do believe that it was probably a simple software update problem and they would solve it easily but they told that they may need to change the unit completely and they told the radio isn't working properly as well . ( I had felt it was functioning a bit wierd but i didn't care about it much but the navigation was a big problem for me because I may need to find the fast charging points while i was travelling and the best way to find one is using navigation .)

This news that i wasn't expected made me totally disappointed and i remembered all the things people said that it is not a British brand it's Chinese product and not reliable etc . I suddenly felt myself in regret.
This was a brand new car and i faced with such a problem on the first day . Overall the car was driving good and all other functions were working as much as i can see . But i didn't want to have a repaired car . It isn't fair , i pay the listing price but getting a refurbished one . So i thought to refund the car . I don't know much about this but as i know i have a right to refund it for such a big problem . Because the unit which was they calling the entertainment unit is the brain of the car and all of the car functions are controlling on it .

So what I'm requesting is your comments . And has anyone heard anything about such similar issue with their new car . I wanted to ask you first before o talk with my solicitor . I'm of course planning to write a mail to the dealer company and to the MG-UK distributors and even to the global center of MG . But i cannot decide what to do . Should i demand another car or should i refund ( which they told me that it's impossible in the word ) or to accept their repair and get a compensation if they offer me for a faulty car ...

P.S : Even i told them it's a special day and everybody is waiting for me at home they didn't give me a priority ( at the beginning till a gentleman ,i guess one of the manager of service department , came and helped me ... Many thanks to him ) and they made me wait till 4 pm . And they did some pointless long road test which caused to consuming my charge to drive home . And i made a stressful journey on the way to home .

I do apologies all of you for this very long text but each comments or any idea or an offer will be very valuable and helpful to make up my mind ...

Thank you ...
looking at the time you posted you are obviously not happy. At this stage I would contact the dealer’s managing director and make your feelings and bad experience known.
Keeping the dealer’s name secret helps no one.
I am sure the car will be sorted out as basically the ZS EV is a great car and i would not go back to an ICE now.
Good luck.

My outgoing Kia Soul EV has a dead reckoning line displayed and I find it quite useful from time to time, esp if I'm in unfamiliar territory. It will be a shame if I have to knock it off in my MG (when it comes), but no big deal.

hi
did you take a look here?
No i didn't notice this post ... 😯😯😯

My outgoing Kia Soul EV has a dead reckoning line displayed and I find it quite useful from time to time, esp if I'm in unfamiliar territory. It will be a shame if I have to knock it off in my MG (when it comes), but no big deal.
Perhaps useful in case of emergency/breakdown to let services know of exact position?

I will try this soon inform you all ... I remember i saw that button Dead Reckoning and turned it off before but i didn't try to reset with home button ... yesterday the technicians told that they tried resets and even tried factory settings but it didn't work , what they said ... Hope i would fix it with your helps ... Because i really enjoyed the car it drives very smooth and nice and very efficient which is the most important ( I could sometimes reached 5 miles per kw which is a very good rate as far as i know ...

Thank you every one ... 🤓🙏🏻😊💯👍

I did what you told . I switched dead reckoning and pressed the home button long and waited untill the MG logo appears on the screen but nothing happened and screen remained black ... But the good news is , Navigation is working now .... 🤓🙏🏻😊💯👍

I can't thank you enough all of you , you all are very helpful ... 🤓🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻💯👍

Had exactly the same issues when I picked up my car next week. The sales team couldn't fix despite 4 return journeys in 1/2 hr. Went back using phone sat nav.
Fixed the satnav problvia this forum.
DAB radio took 15mins before showing up any stations, but it's fine now.
I checked about the insurance beforehand and they told me that they no longer provide it and I sorted it out before.

My dealership asked me to come early in the morning if possible, but no later than 1 hour before closing to go through paperwork and car induction.

I'm just curious, if you wanted them to run you through the car and systems, you turned up at the dealers just before they shut?
They told us to come at 5:30 pm . We were normally expecting to collect the car 30th of April as the first salesman promised us . The problem was that . The first salesman dealing with us and who we made an agreement and ordered the car was disappeared , they said . We don't know what happened to him but he had called us one week before and promised us to handover the car till Saturday 30th of April . We waited till Saturday but he didn't call us . When we couldn't heard from him we called , sent messages , emails but couldn't receive any response. At the end we called the main phone number of the company and tried to learn what was happening . Then they told us he disappeared suddenly and another salesman will handover the car . But as i understand no body wished to do his job ( I mean to get the remaining jobs over theirselves from the salesman disappeared ) The new salesman tried to delay the collection one week more. We insisted on a bit because Wednesday was my wife's off day so we wanted to collect same day . And we thought that the car should have already been ready as we had been promised for previousSaturday . After we insisted on , the salesman told that he will try to get the car ready till 5:30 pm and the car will reach a %80 charge till that time ... Namely we didn't chose the time we just wished to collect the car same day which already should have been prepared as they had promised to handover Saturday .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom