Need help with my new mg4 ev

Zeekay

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi there,

I am new here, so don’t have any clue where to post. I have MG4 SE, last week on Wednesday my ev charger cable was stuck in car and it was showing HV battery error. I am working in Newmarket and live in Luton. On daily basis I’m travelling 60 miles each side.

On my way home I took it to one of the nearest dealership in Baldock which was Brown and Gammons. They were busy to look at my car, but after waiting for few hours they had a look at my car and told me it’s software or 12v battery error. They took my car and told me they will call me back, and I used uber to my home as they were not having any courtesy car. On daily basis I was calling them but they were unable to fix my car, I tried calling MG helpline but they were rude and told me its not their responsibility.

I was without car and missing my work, so tried calling MG AA assistance on Monday. They came to check my car in front of the dealership and dropped my car again to same dealership. AA gave me a courtesy car for 4 days Monday 5pm till Thursday 5pm, which is today. Now again I don't have any car and need to go to work. I called MG assistance AA but they said we can’t extend it. Called MG helpline, again rude lady on phone told me not our headache go to dealership. Dealership is giving me same reason we don’t have anything in stock.

My Question is what to do in this situation, my car is only 5 months old and 5000 miles driven with software/firmware problem? Everyone is passing me to another person/company and I have already spent alot of money on going to work using uber. I’m mentally exhausted because of this problem and need some advice.

Sorry for taking your time.

I'm not sure this is relevant to you right now, but since having my first EV 3 years ago I took someone's wise advice and carry a spanner that fits the 12v battery terminal bolts (think it's 11mm?) And on occasions of dire need disconnect the battery and then reconnect, forcing a reset. Used it twice when the MK1 ZS EV software wasn't up to par. Haven't used it at all over last 2 years tho.

I'm not sure this is relevant to you right now, but since having my first EV 3 years ago I took someone's wise advice and carry a spanner that fits the 12v battery terminal bolts (think it's 11mm?) And on occasions of dire need disconnect the battery and then reconnect, forcing a reset. Used it twice when the MK1 ZS EV software wasn't up to par. Haven't used it at all over last 2 years tho.
Thanks for the advice. The issue is with 2 of the main components, as they are not communicating. Thus my 12V battery draines in 30/40 seconds. I just went again today to the dealership, they told me it’s going to take couple of days. Only issue is I’m without car and no one (MG, MG assistance and Dealership) is providing me with courtesy car.

Hi there,

I am new here, so don’t have any clue where to post. I have MG4 SE, last week on Wednesday my ev charger cable was stuck in car and it was showing HV battery error. I am working in Newmarket and live in Luton. On daily basis I’m travelling 60 miles each side.

On my way home I took it to one of the nearest dealership in Baldock which was Brown and Gammons. They were busy to look at my car, but after waiting for few hours they had a look at my car and told me it’s software or 12v battery error. They took my car and told me they will call me back, and I used uber to my home as they were not having any courtesy car. On daily basis I was calling them but they were unable to fix my car, I tried calling MG helpline but they were rude and told me its not their responsibility.

I was without car and missing my work, so tried calling MG AA assistance on Monday. They came to check my car in front of the dealership and dropped my car again to same dealership. AA gave me a courtesy car for 4 days Monday 5pm till Thursday 5pm, which is today. Now again I don't have any car and need to go to work. I called MG assistance AA but they said we can’t extend it. Called MG helpline, again rude lady on phone told me not our headache go to dealership. Dealership is giving me same reason we don’t have anything in stock.

My Question is what to do in this situation, my car is only 5 months old and 5000 miles driven with software/firmware problem? Everyone is passing me to another person/company and I have already spent alot of money on going to work using uber. I’m mentally exhausted because of this problem and need some advice.

Sorry for taking your time.
That is terrible service you are receiving from MG and the dealership.
If your charging cable is stuck, open the boot and there is a small square panel on the panelling behind the charging door, inside the boot. Pop that open and there is a manual release pull to release the charger plug.

Dealership and MG service are hard to resolve, but arming yourself with 'self fixes' will help.

And as a note, if your car is less than 6 months old you have consumer rights and any issues with the car are the responsibility of the dealer to prove that they were not on the car when sold if required and to resolve. Motoring Consumer rights act 2015.

Last edited:
That is terrible service you are receiving from MG and the dealership.
If your charging cable is stuck, open the boot and there is a small square panel on the panelling behind the charging door, inside the boot. Pop that open and there is a manual release pull to release the charger plug.

Dealership and MG service are hard to resolve, but arming yourself with 'self fixes' will help.

And as a note, if your car is less than 6 months old you have consumer rights and any issues with the car are the responsibility of the dealer to prove that they were not on the car when sold if required and to resolve. Motoring Consumer rights act 2015.
Hey many thanks for suggestions. I did release the cable manually but there is some fault in the main hardware.

Seriously, MG after sales services are worst of all. They are trying to fix it, its more than a week now.

Thanks for the advice. The issue is with 2 of the main components, as they are not communicating. Thus my 12V battery draines in 30/40 seconds. I just went again today to the dealership, they told me it’s going to take couple of days. Only issue is I’m without car and no one (MG, MG assistance and Dealership) is providing me with courtesy car.
Thanks - I did think my spanner advice might not be relevant. The courtesy car question is one of the reasons I've commented elsewhere about not using the dealership location that sold me my car.. MG Milton Keynes always seems to be able to offer one

Thanks - I did think my spanner advice might not be relevant. The courtesy car question is one of the reasons I've commented elsewhere about not using the dealership location that sold me my car.. MG Milton Keynes always seems to be able to offer one
I bought it from them, glyn hopkin. Called them, they are booked till last week of august.

They seem to be quite a large business. It's really a shame that they can't provide a courtesy car while your car is unusable - and under warranty. In many cases this is a matter of fairness and goodwill, but in your case it is clearly covered my the terms of MG Assistance (for 48 hours at least).

This kind of service is what is letting the car down, yes cars can have issues no one is disputing that but it's how they are dealt with.
The MG customer service team are useless as has been shown again here, so important to do you research around the dealers and try and get a good one

@Zeekay
For future reference,
I bought my car from Cambridge Electric Vehicles | Wide Range of EV's in Stock
in Cambridge when they were an MG dealer. AFAIK they are still MG authorised service centre and have always provided a courtesy car during my warranty repairs (one of them lasted more than a couple of days).

They seem to be quite a large business. It's really a shame that they can't provide a courtesy car while your car is unusable - and under warranty. In many cases this is a matter of fairness and goodwill, but in your case it is clearly covered my the terms of MG Assistance (for 48 hours at least).
Yes MG assistance did their part by providing me a courtesy car for 72 hours. Yesterday after having conversation with them of taking legal actions against them, they called me after 3 hours that your car is fixed. When I was about to collect same issue with car, battery drainage in less than a minute.

This kind of service is what is letting the car down, yes cars can have issues no one is disputing that but it's how they are dealt with.
The MG customer service team are useless as has been shown again here, so important to do you research around the dealers and try and get a good one
It was around 5:30am in the morning and my car broke down near Baldock. Couldn’t gt enough time for alternatives

@Zeekay
For future reference,
I bought my car from Cambridge Electric Vehicles | Wide Range of EV's in Stock
in Cambridge when they were an MG dealer. AFAIK they are still MG authorised service centre and have always provided a courtesy car during my warranty repairs (one of them lasted more than a couple of days).
I am planning on using my insurance recovery to recover my vehicle to Glyn Hopkin as I bought it from them. As MG Baldock is of no help, in 8 days they even couldn’t figure out what’s the issue with my car 🤔

It was around 5:30am in the morning and my car broke down near Baldock. Couldn’t gt enough time for alternatives
You have misunderstood I was just talking about doing research about the dealer you are buying it from, obviously if you have a major issue you are potentially going to go to the nearest one.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back