OriginalBigAl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
After just over 8 and a half months we visited our dealer to cancel our order (long story ) to find our car had been delivered a week earlier, but they had forgot to e-mail us! SR LR in orange. Our 2022 order was transformed into a 2023 model with 23r software and one pedal etc. The dealer has kept the original 2022 order price but since the French government grants have for us risen 2000E, so that has reduced the price. Yahoo! Strangely there was a 2 core wire leading from under the bonnet through the left hand door seal to a small 40mm cube plastic thingy stuck internally to the windscreen . When questioned, the dealer said it was to protect the 12v battery. Any ideas anyone. Also the main battery was charged to 100% , I assumed they were transported with around 40% so I have a feeling there is already a 12v battery drain/problem and it has been fully charged to see if the 12 v battery will respond. They had 34 MG4s delivered in one go plus another 26 cars so we a a way down the list for PDI etc we have been given a date 28 Aug for collection. There is slight warping of the undertray ,but I think I can do a better quicker job of rectifying it than MG. So 9 months from conception to birth , I really hope I,m going to have less sleepless nights than with a real child?

Sounds like some kind of trickle charger, not uncommon at garages if a car is left for a long time or eg inside showrooms where constant opening/closing would otherwise drain the battery.

They might be doing it due to uncertainty how long the car has been left at port / on ship with the 12V battery disconnected.

It wouldn't bother me.

It has only been in the dealers 4 days and not due for delivery for around a month. Numerous you tube videos and advice from this forum suggests ,in my view correctly, that NCM batteries should only be charged to 100% if used immediately and not if your going to leave it standing around for over 1-2 weeks, which can lead to an early level of ,all be it slight , but unnecessary degradation which will not be recoverable and thus will be there for the lifetime of the battery. MG technicians should know better ? unless of course there is an uncommunicated problem. MG would not do that would they?

It has only been in the dealers 4 days and not due for delivery for around a month. Numerous you tube videos and advice from this forum suggests ,in my view correctly, that NCM batteries should only be charged to 100% if used immediately and not if your going to leave it standing around for over 1-2 weeks, which can lead to an early level of ,all be it slight , but unnecessary degradation which will not be recoverable and thus will be there for the lifetime of the battery. MG technicians should know better ? unless of course there is an uncommunicated problem. MG would not do that would they?
It's not a specific MG thing, it's an NMC thing, but unless the mechanics have knowledge of EVs battery chemistries they may not know.
It certainly isn't going to do it any good sitting for two weeks at 100%

Are these the same people who are going to be servicing my car for the next few years? I would hope and expect, as you would that their knowledge far exceeds ours! In addition we only turned up at the dealers on spec, to find our car had been delivered ,we still have not had official confirmation that it is in fact ,there. I am going to e-mail them for a response (excuse) and then will probably have to go there , that will be another 2 hours out of a busy day. I started this post with ( new baby) did,nt realise it would be actual and physical rather than literal .

Last edited:
Are these the same people who are going to be servicing my car for the next few years? I would hope and expect, as you would that their knowledge far exceeds ours!
As has been mentioned previous certainly in the UK, not every technician in the service department has been trained fully on EVs

Some of the members in here EV knowledge will far exceed the average technician

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel