New charger regs - no stock of Zappi?

Steve T

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was due to have a Zappi supplied and fitted on Monday, but my installer called today to say that because of the change in regs in December last year there's no stock of units that comply. The manufacturer Myenergi look like they're quoting a 4 week lead time on the Zappi, so it seems plausible. Just a note for anyone expecting an install in the coming days, to check the charger is available.

I wonder what changes in the regulations have been made. Did your installer elaborate on this? I got my Zappi installed in November and my installer didn’t mention anything about upcoming changes.

I wonder what changes in the regulations have been made. Did your installer elaborate on this? I got my Zappi installed in November and my installer didn’t mention anything about upcoming changes.
Ditto. In fact I had an Eddi installed today by the same guy and he said nothing about any changes to the Zappi when chatting about how it all worked together. My understanding is that there's so much demand for Zappis at the moment, MyEnergi are struggling to keep up so I wonder if your installer just hasn't got the unit he thought he'd have by now.

Ditto. In fact I had an Eddi installed today by the same guy and he said nothing about any changes to the Zappi when chatting about how it all worked together. My understanding is that there's so much demand for Zappis at the moment, MyEnergi are struggling to keep up so I wonder if your installer just hasn't got the unit he thought he'd have by now.
The changes are around cyber security apparently. Models with the newly required features have a -G at the end. This is from zappi:

2.2 What’s changed with zappi

The following features have been added to all zappis to comply with the Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations 2021, Schedule 1, from 30th December 2022:
Set-up Wizard – The set-up wizard at power up has been changed to ensure smoother initial set-up. This includes internet connection and firmware updates upon start up.

Automatic Firmware Checking – zappi will regularly check for new software and will automatically display a message on your zappi screen to let you know in the myenergi app when updates are available.

Tamper Detection – We have added built-in tamper detection to alert you if anyone has removed the front cover of your zappi. You will be alerted in the myenergi app when tamper activity is detected.

Encryption – To protect your data from eavesdroppers zappi uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to securely communicate throughout your home and across the internet.

The changes are around cyber security apparently. Models with the newly required features have a -G at the end. This is from zappi:

2.2 What’s changed with zappi

The following features have been added to all zappis to comply with the Electric Vehicles (Smart Charge Points) Regulations 2021, Schedule 1, from 30th December 2022:
Set-up Wizard – The set-up wizard at power up has been changed to ensure smoother initial set-up. This includes internet connection and firmware updates upon start up.

Automatic Firmware Checking – zappi will regularly check for new software and will automatically display a message on your zappi screen to let you know in the myenergi app when updates are available.

Tamper Detection – We have added built-in tamper detection to alert you if anyone has removed the front cover of your zappi. You will be alerted in the myenergi app when tamper activity is detected.

Encryption – To protect your data from eavesdroppers zappi uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) to securely communicate throughout your home and across the internet.
I've had a couple of firmware updates this week via the app so thankfully it looks like models fitted pre-December 2022 met these requirements anyway.

Would be nice to actually get chance to use it now - just waiting for the car to arrive ............

I was due to have a Zappi supplied and fitted on Monday, but my installer called today to say that because of the change in regs in December last year there's no stock of units that comply. The manufacturer Myenergi look like they're quoting a 4 week lead time on the Zappi, so it seems plausible. Just a note for anyone expecting an install in the coming days, to check the charger is available.

I ordered my Zappi recently from their website and it arrived in 3 days. I don't think the 4 week lead time is accurate.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 513 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back