New member.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone!

I had my MG5 LR excite since October and I absolutely love it (an so is my better half)! I've driven an electric kangoo in the past and also had an electric moped, MG5 is a massive upgrade comparing to old Renault.

So far we clocked around 4000 miles and no problems so far (well, i had one "battery shut off" while charging on a rapid charger, but the car started right away, no issues since. We managed to do a few longish trips too, London-Edinburgh and Kent-Barcelona and the experience so far is really good.
We've done a few upgrades, fitted a froot or (frunk) and front parking sensors. At some point i would also like to fit a tow bar, not for towing, just for transporting my moped - I will possibly get a tow bar for Chevrolet CRUZE (as it's the same base) and modify it to fit.
I also fit 32 amps charging box at home, I didn't use any of the wallboxes but bought Portable, variable 8-32A Charger which i placed in a plastic enclosure on my drive, total cost under £300.
Hi,
I’d also be interested in the towbar fitting. Again not for towing but to mount an extra carry box thus freeing up space in the boot for the wife’s mobility scooter.

Hi,
I’d also be interested in the towbar fitting. Again not for towing but to mount an extra carry box thus freeing up space in the boot for the wife’s mobility scooter.
1642096475166.jpeg

Hi,
Towbars are for more important things than trailers don’t you know 😂

I had a look under my bonnet this morning and after a few days of local driving with salted/ gritted roads there was quite a bit of white salty water hanging from the underside. I still have the cover in place on mine but it did cross my mind that if I put an open box in here it could get very damp, not a great environment for charging cables etc.

I had a look under my bonnet this morning and after a few days of local driving with salted/ gritted roads there was quite a bit of white salty water hanging from the underside. I still have the cover in place on mine but it did cross my mind that if I put an open box in here it could get very damp, not a great environment for charging cables etc.
I did think that myself when I saw the open lid. Maybe choosing an internal box with a lid would mitigate that? Still think it's worth investigating to keep the cable where it's used rather than taking up the boot space which after all is why we all went for the 5, no?!

My 'charger' with tethered cable is outside in all weathers, seems fine.

I did think that myself when I saw the open lid. Maybe choosing an internal box with a lid would mitigate that? Still think it's worth investigating to keep the cable where it's used rather than taking up the boot space which after all is why we all went for the 5, no?!
I had a box mounted under the bonnet of my ZS. But I had a lid on it. My current 5LR still has its gubbins cover in situ and I carry the type 2 cable just coiled up in the “hollow” on the top. It never moves, has never had water/snow get near it, and is super convenient for use when required.
057068DD-9351-4B2F-AAC9-08447DFF0C50.jpeg

I had a box mounted under the bonnet of my ZS. But I had a lid on it. My current 5LR still has its gubbins cover in situ and I carry the type 2 cable just coiled up in the “hollow” on the top. It never moves, has never had water/snow get near it, and is super convenient for use when required. View attachment 6291
I guess this is under the ZS bonnet? Do you ave a pic of the cable on the plastic cover on the 5?

I guess this is under the ZS bonnet? Do you ave a pic of the cable on the plastic cover on the 5?
Yes here’s what the 5 looks like The bunny cord was a cautionary thought when I first put the cable there but there’s been no movement at all since early October when I first put the cable there. I use it at least once a week during the Tesco run.
4BEC7E3E-F5E2-4DA0-933F-097885DBDAE1.jpeg

I was under the impression the indent on the 5 wasn't deep enough to store a type 2 cable in?

I was under the impression the indent on the 5 wasn't deep enough to store a type 2 cable in?
Perhaps “on” is more accurate as can be seen in my picture
And I promise there are no discernible bulges or dents on the bonnet 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• 5487BD95-5DA7-41B5-B52E-1F5D9F835B1B.jpeg
    5487BD95-5DA7-41B5-B52E-1F5D9F835B1B.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 117
Perhaps “on” is more accurate as can be seen in my picture
And I promise there are no discernible bulges or dents on the bonnet 🤣🤣🤣🤣
No dings on the soundproofing cover inside either? Looks fine to the naked eye.

Interested in the access to fit the front parking sensors ( I do miss them in tight spaces)

Looking underneath the bumper I see that it is well panelled over or is there reasonable access from above with the removal of the cover behind the slam panel?

Interested in the access to fit the front parking sensors ( I do miss them in tight spaces)

Looking underneath the bumper I see that it is well panelled over or is there reasonable access from above with the removal of the cover behind the slam panel?
I run the cables just below the registration plate into the motor bay, and then undernath the car to the fog light, so the sensors can be activated with the fog light switch. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them on the forum.

I run the cables just below the registration plate into the motor bay, and then undernath the car to the fog light, so the sensors can be activated with the fog light switch. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them on the forum.
I managed to find a photo:

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 130
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom