New MG ZS EV Trophy...it's bad

There are always going to be cars that turn out to be ‘rogues’, and it must be extremely frustrating and annoying if you are in this situation. However, there also seems to be plenty of people who are happy with theirs, so a balanced view needs to be taken.
When you have waited a very long time to take delivery, and it’s unlikely that a replacement vehicle will be available, I don’t know what the solution might be. I hope you will be offered an alternative @Bodgerx

It's all about expectations I think for a budget entry level EV it's still punching above it's weight
I agree with your comment. For all the little foibles I remind myself that it would cost at least 45-50k to move up to a so called premium car. For the money my TCLR is a good value introduction to EV motoring.

Give it a good talking to.;)
bbc comedy GIF

I have another thing I dislike…having to put the seat belt on to move the car…I park the car with its nose out, but the charger isn’t long enough to reach the front of the car, so need to turn it around, no problem one would think…no it won’t move unless I put the seat belt on…”look I’m only going two feet, turning around and parking the car the otherway round, I don’t need a bloody seat belt on”…car..oh yes you do, I’m not going to move otherwise..
I'm more concerned if the seatbelt switch fails then you are stuck...

L
I think what some are failing to understand is that this was Hobson's choice for me.

There was no other affordable option for an EV for me than this on the company scheme.

This is my opinion for those maybe thinking about buying this car.

Many of these thing I knew about to begin with so I wasn't going in blind.

This isn't me asking for help or being bemused as to why it's so bad.

Maybe you should see if you can return the car if not fit for purpose and get something else?

Otherwise your ownership is not going to be a good experience for you.

It's all about expectations I think for a budget entry level EV it's still punching above it's weight
Agree. But I have basic functional problems at the moment e.g. the car will not even rapid charge. It's not that usable out of town.

L

Maybe you should see if you can return the car if not fit for purpose and get something else?

Otherwise your ownership is not going to be a good experience for you.
Not an option without significant penalty. It's through the company. I mean, I could resign, that would be one way to get out of it. 😄

Agree. But I have basic functional problems at the moment e.g. the car will not even rapid charge. It's not that usable out of town.
I understand that but some bad lemons don't mean there all bad
Take it to the dealer if you tried everything the biggest problems car not switched off and charge timer set in car

Not an option without significant penalty. It's through the company. I mean, I could resign, that would be one way to get out of it. 😄
Surely if the car isn't functioning as advertised the fleet hire company will take the car back without penalty after trying to fix it?

It's pretty standard practice.

I ordered mine as a company car for the same reason you did (cheapest by a long way!) and I'd be kicking-off with the fleet provider and/or my employer if I'm effectively using my car allowance on something that is partly broken....

Surely if you can argue it’s not fit for purpose you can get a replacement?
Surely if the car isn't functioning as advertised the fleet hire company will take the car back without penalty after trying to fix it?

I ordered mine as a company car for the same reason you did (cheapest by a long way!) and I'd be kicking-off with the fleet provider and/or my employer if I'm effectively using my car allowance on something that is partly broken....

Yes exactly this.

Some times not necessarily in your case it's very easy to blame the car when sometimes it's operator error or not reading the manual lets face it there's a lot to take on board

Umm, feel like a bit of an idiot..it never occurred to me, I had the auto brake on and just needed to switch it off..to move the car without the seatbelt on..as for not wearing the seatbelt when moving the car…I live in a very small cul-de-sac and to turn the car around, it doesn’t really go out on to the road…so unless I hit the house or fence, don’t need a belt on..

We'll start with trying to get the rapid charging fixed and go from there. If they can't sort that quickly this might be an option.

Problem I have now is that with it being Christmas earliest I can get the dealer to look at it is January. That's an hour away as well.

Some times not necessarily in your case it's very easy to blame the car when sometimes it's operator error or not reading the manual lets face it there's a lot to take on board
Yes this true.

But this ain't my first rodeo. I have had EVs previously and never had this issue with the charging.

I have now tried 4 different brands of chargers with multiple different types of approaches:

Car locked
Car unlocked
Schedule charging off
Car switched on
Car switched off
Holding the HPC charger handle
Not holding the HPC charger handle

I can make it past paying, plugging in, safety checks complete, comms established, charging starts on both the charger and the car and within 2-3 seconds the car bails out and says 'Charging stopped'. No errors. No warnings.

Public AC charging is fine. Home AC charging is fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom