New MG ZS EV Trophy...it's bad

Steering is excessively vague to the point that there is no information about what the front wheels are doing. Ioniq wasn't great in this respect but at least there was some decent centering and responsiveness.
I've tried a few cars in the past that lack steering feel, usually SUV/crossover type things, and found that they don't inspire confidence.

If it's not too late to change cars, I'd be tempted to give the MG4 a try. It's got a decent amount of feel and feedback, even in the 'normal' drive move.

Must be something to do with the steering wheel being on the 'wrong side' of the car. My ZS self centres no problem and has plenty of 'Feel' on the steering. Light at slow speed manoeuvring and heavier the faster you go.

Not within budget.
Having read this thread, I think the saying "You get what you pay for" comes to mind. You're clearly expecting something that the MG was not even meant to do at it's price point.

Having had a Gen 1, and recently moved to a Gen 2, the difference is night and day between the two versions. Everything I disliked about my Gen 1 has been rectified in the Gen 2 version. It works as I'd expect it to for Ā£30,000 of motor vehicle. It's not a Tesla, VW ID.4 or Ioniq 5, and it doesn't pretend to be, it is a budget EV, and does the job EXCEPTIONALLY well.

Maybe the MG brand isn't for yourself, , but you've got budget constraints, so tone down your expectations and bring them inline with what the vehicle actually offers. If it's still not where you want them, take a look at the new MG4 or facelift MG5.

I think you problem is the brand is where your wallet allows, but your taste and expectations are elsewhere.

Having read this thread, I think the saying "You get what you pay for" comes to mind. You're clearly expecting something that the MG was not even meant to do at it's price point.

Having had a Gen 1, and recently moved to a Gen 2, the difference is night and day between the two versions. Everything I disliked about my Gen 1 has been rectified in the Gen 2 version. It works as I'd expect it to for Ā£30,000 of motor vehicle. It's not a Tesla, VW ID.4 or Ioniq 5, and it doesn't pretend to be, it is a budget EV, and does the job EXCEPTIONALLY well.

Maybe the MG brand isn't for yourself, , but you've got budget constraints, so tone down your expectations and bring them inline with what the vehicle actually offers. If it's still not where you want them, take a look at the new MG4 or facelift MG5.

I think you problem is the brand is where your wallet allows, but your taste and expectations are elsewhere.
IDK, I was paying less for my Ioniq before I got this. And the Ioniq was an objectively better car. If you can make sense of that, please doā€¦

Being able to actually rapid charge it and it have somewhere sensible efficiency would have been a start. Weā€™ve got one of those fixed now at least. Glass half full.

IDK, I was paying less for my Ioniq before I got this. And the Ioniq was an objectively better car. If you can make sense of that, please doā€¦
Which Ioniq?

I'm slightly confused from reading your posts as to what you exactly want from the lowest priced EV SUV on the market.... On one hand you want Tesla range and on the other hand you want Bentley level interior.... I just don't quite "get it".

Which Ioniq?

I'm slightly confused from reading your posts as to what you exactly want from the lowest priced EV SUV on the market.... On one hand you want Tesla range and on the other hand you want Bentley level interior.... I just don't quite "get it".
The 38. The classic but with a facelift.

As I say, being able to rapid charge it.

Not awful efficiency.

See aboveā€¦

The 38. The classic but with a facelift.

As I say, being able to rapid charge it.

Not awful efficiency.

See aboveā€¦
So rapid charging, I believe the Gen 2 supports up to 100kw charging on chargers that support it, I've only done one rapid charge so far on a 50kw charger and got the full 50kw.

Efficiency is there, you just have to learn how to drive the MG. I'm getting between 3.5 and 4.5 miles per kWh at the moment in current temperatures. Using 60mph on most trips, with occasional bursts to 70mph when required.

The MG is considerably heavier than the Ioniq which will again play havoc with the kWh per mile figures you're used to. You need to factor that in.

The range quoted by MG is spot on for me, even exceeding it to be fair. Then again I had a Gen 1 before which I cut my teeth on.

Regen is better on SR than LR due to the way in which the chemistry of the batteries is, again the smaller battery of the Ioniq would give the impression of better regen as less to recharge.

Last edited:
So rapid charging, I believe the Gen 2 supports up to 100kw charging on chargers that support it, I've only done one rapid charge so far on a 50kw charger and got the full 50kw.

Efficiency is there, you just have to learn how to drive the MG. I'm getting between 3.5 and 4.5kwh per mile at the moment in current temperatures. Using 60mph on most trips, with occasional bursts to 70mph when required.

The MG is considerably heavier than the Ioniq which will again play havoc with the kWh per mile figures you're used to. You need to factor that in.

The range quoted by MG is spot on for me, even exceeding it to be fair. Then again I had a Gen 1 before which I cut my teeth on.

Regen is better on SR than LR due to the way in which the chemistry of the batteries is, again the smaller battery of the Ioniq would give the impression of better regen as less to recharge.
Not what I meant with the charging. Rapid charging was broken on delivery- it was DOA. Two months later, theyā€™ve just fixed it. Mentioned earlier.

Weight of the 51kwh MG is about the same as the Ioniq: 1520kg vs 1570kg.

Iā€™ve said it before, but this thing has a battery thatā€™s almost 50% bigger, and yet gets worse range than the Ioniq.

Yes the aero is much worse, but that canā€™t be all of it.

The way it handles regen is part of it. Itā€™s just leaves a lot on the table in that respect.

Anyways, repeating myself now.

It is what it is.

The container ship from China has sailed.

Iā€™m trying to be positive and you are reminding of all the bad again.

No car is perfect, you just have to decide which problems you can live withā€¦..
Maybe Bodgerx should buy another Ioniq?
Prior to an ev, I usually bought a ā€œbetter carā€ second hand for about Ā£10k. That doesnā€™t seem to be possible with EVā€™s, not yet anyway.

No car is perfect, you just have to decide which problems you can live withā€¦..
Maybe Bodgerx should buy another Ioniq?
Prior to an ev, I usually bought a ā€œbetter carā€ second hand for about Ā£10k. That doesnā€™t seem to be possible with EVā€™s, not yet anyway.
Perfection? I don't think I was asking for much to be honest. I think some peeps on here will put up with all sorts for Ā£30K plus! I'm worried about some of you.

As I have mentioned before, I am stuck with this for almost 3 years.

It is what it is.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom