New MG4 owner here!

MG4 Concert

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all!

Been lurking for a while but decided to join in the fun!

Had my MG4 about 6 weeks! SE SR. Absolutely delighted with it and fingers crossed absolutely no faults, squeaks or rattles this far.

The MG replaced a BMW X2 2.0i which felt archaic compared to this! My other car is a BMW i3 which I love but the MG is a delight!

Looking forward to joining in the fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20230421_174927139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230421_174927139_HDR.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20230421_174818220_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230421_174818220_HDR.jpg
    818.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20230420_094116433_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230420_094116433_HDR.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_20230501_175229134.jpg
    IMG_20230501_175229134.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 119
Hello and welcome. I have had my SE SR for exactly four weeks and I'm thrilled to bits. A couple of gripes about things that don't quite work as I'd like them to, but nothing to dim the thrill of the way the car drives.

I'm staying with friends in Yorkshire right now, and they directed me on an amazing switchback ride through minor roads in the Dales yesterday. I think I'd have been nervous on some of the hairpin bends even in my old Golf GTi, but the MG4 just handled everything with no fuss at all. The very tight turning circle is a huge bonus.

Currently charging to 100% on the type 2 charger that's only 50 yards from my friends' front door, ready for the return trip to Scotland tomorrow. Looking forward to the drive, as I really enjoyed the drive down on Tuesday.

I can fault it!
  • Wing mirrors do not have electrical folding
  • I can't turn off this awful, claustrophibia-inducing automatic locking
  • The USB music system can't handle nested folders
  • The tailgate is a wee bit heavy to open and close.
That's it. Not much of a litany of woe, given the absolute joy of driving it, and never having to go near a petrol pump ever again.

Tbh the points you raise don't bother me. My only gripe is the fact that the stereo comes on by default which is a shock when you aren't expecting it!! Lol!! And yes, it really is a joy! 😎👍

Tbh the points you raise don't bother me. My only gripe is the fact that the stereo comes on by default which is a shock when you aren't expecting it!! Lol!! And yes, it really is a joy! 😎👍
If you press pause on the radio or press right hand joystick it will turn off the radio and it will then only come back on if you press play or flick.right hand joystick up or down.

If you press pause on the radio or press right hand joystick it will turn off the radio and it will then only come back on if you press play or flick.right hand joystick up or down.

In my experience that only works for that trip. When you switch the car on again the radio comes at you full blast again.

I have been in the habit of having my music system on all the time in my car so it shouldn't bother me at all, but it does, slightly. I find it weird that the radio keeps going once I've pressed P, because I'm used to switching off the ignition and taking the key out, and the radio stops. But even if I manually switch the radio off at that point, on it comes again when I get back in.

I've been with friends for the past few days and I'm getting used to letting the car start then turning off the radio before I turn off LKA and speed limit recognition to get going. We want to chat in the car, not listen to the radio. I think a radio should only come on if you ask it to, or if you didn't switch it off before you left the car last time.

But I can cope.

In my experience that only works for that trip. When you switch the car on again the radio comes at you full blast again.

I have been in the habit of having my music system on all the time in my car so it shouldn't bother me at all, but it does, slightly. I find it weird that the radio keeps going once I've pressed P, because I'm used to switching off the ignition and taking the key out, and the radio stops. But even if I manually switch the radio off at that point, on it comes again when I get back in.

I've been with friends for the past few days and I'm getting used to letting the car start then turning off the radio before I turn off LKA and speed limit recognition to get going. We want to chat in the car, not listen to the radio. I think a radio should only come on if you ask it to, or if you didn't switch it off before you left the car last time.

But I can cope.
Mine stays off until turned back on. What can I say. It works on mine.

I’ve noticed that if you’ve used CarPlay for music, before switching back to radio, then that button changes the source from radio to CarPlay - but oddly not the other way... Once on CarPlay it works as a mute / pause…yet another software oddity I assume.

Yes it is.

The software for the Trophy is significantly different from the software for the SE, and some on the forum have plausibly suggested that they are written by different teams. They have different bugs. The Trophy may actually have more bugs than the SE, simply because it has a lot more functions to handle. (One oddity that came up is that many Trophy owners are complaining that when they press the right star button they only see the HVAC screen for a couple of seconds, while those of us with SE models see the screen until we press the star button again, which seems to be the correct performance.)

I think the lack of folder recognition and the lack of ability to switch off automatic locking are bugs in the SE. The Trophy doesn't have these issues, and there's no reason for them to have been included as deliberate punishment for those of us who decided not to shell out for heated leather seats etc. It seems that the repeated turning on of the radio in the SE might be another one, if the Trophy gets it right.

They are minor issues, but I'm thinking it might be worth emailing MG's customer care about them. If they get a few people moaning, they might put them on the "to fix" list for some future update.

The software for the Trophy is significantly different from the software for the SE, and some on the forum have plausibly suggested that they are written by different teams. They have different bugs. The Trophy may actually have more bugs than the SE, simply because it has a lot more functions to handle. (One oddity that came up is that many Trophy owners are complaining that when they press the right star button they only see the HVAC screen for a couple of seconds, while those of us with SE models see the screen until we press the star button again, which seems to be the correct performance.)

I think the lack of folder recognition and the lack of ability to switch off automatic locking are bugs in the SE. The Trophy doesn't have these issues, and there's no reason for them to have been included as deliberate punishment for those of us who decided not to shell out for heated leather seats etc. It seems that the repeated turning on of the radio in the SE might be another one, if the Trophy gets it right.

They are minor issues, but I'm thinking it might be worth emailing MG's customer care about them. If they get a few people moaning, they might put them on the "to fix" list for some future update.
Yeah I have asked my dealer to report the Bluetooth un pairing and also the sat nav freeze to MG as Trophy specific problems on my car in the hope that when they finally have an update that can be applied to my car as soon as it is available.

I was surprised by my phone being so reliably paired to the car with Bluetooth. I've not had it un-pair, and I was quite startled when it suddenly started to behave like a car-phone with hands-free operation even though the phone doesn't have Android Auto capability.

I think I'll add the radio not staying off to the list of bugs I'm making for my dealer (to ignore), now I realise it's working right on the Trophy.

(Sorry, MG4 Concert, not meaning to hijack your thread.)

Just to add a bit of my info.

For a trophy im afraid...

I can fault it!
  • Wing mirrors do not have electrical folding (Trophy solves this !!!)
  • I can't turn off this awful, claustrophibia-inducing automatic locking (Trophy solves this via menu !!!)
  • The USB music system can't handle nested folders (Absolutely agree)
  • The tailgate is a wee bit heavy to open and close. (Have you seen the kit that can be installed to power the tailgate, I do miss this function)

Just to add a bit of my info.

For a trophy im afraid...

I can fault it!
  • Wing mirrors do not have electrical folding (Trophy solves this !!!)
  • I can't turn off this awful, claustrophibia-inducing automatic locking (Trophy solves this via menu !!!)
  • The USB music system can't handle nested folders (Absolutely agree)
  • The tailgate is a wee bit heavy to open and close. (Have you seen the kit that can be installed to power the tailgate, I do miss this function)
Trophy solves the USB folder view too. 👍😃

Anyone know how to get Android Auto to remain off by default until selected in the menu? I am using a wireless dongle, and in the AA settings I've set "start android auto automatically" to "last used" but it still seems to come on even if I havent been using it. I dont see any specific setting in the MG settings menu.

I was surprised by my phone being so reliably paired to the car with Bluetooth. I've not had it un-pair, and I was quite startled when it suddenly started to behave like a car-phone with hands-free operation even though the phone doesn't have Android Auto capability.

I think I'll add the radio not staying off to the list of bugs I'm making for my dealer (to ignore), now I realise it's working right on the Trophy.

(Sorry, MG4 Concert, not meaning to hijack your thread.)
No bother! I'm enjoying the replies! Lol 🤣

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel