New owner - guess what! Charging issues

TBay

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Had my MG4 10 days now. First charge went fine, plugged it in at work and charged no problem. Tried to charge overnight on my newly installed Ohme Pro and it would not work no matter what I tried. I have been into work and tried to charge it and it won’t work there either. I got a red battery symbol, a yellow battery with a line through it and the the yellow triangle with a !

I have tried cycling the schedule charge, setting its times from 00:00 to 23:59.

I have read through the numerous threads on here and searched online but cannot find any suggestions. I am hoping someone might be able to suggest a way around this. I need the car tomorrow so looking like I will have to find a car to borrow unless I can sort this today.

Have you compared the battery error symbols with those in the manual to see what advice is given?

Do all the error symbols occur at the same time? I get a read hv battery when DC charging. The yellow symbol could be more worrying.

What messages does the Ohme Pro give. For example does it indicate that it has successfully communicated with the car, or does it not get that far?

Reset the car?
Is the best way to disconnect the 12v battery? Or is there a simpler way?
What messages does the Ohme Pro give. For example does it indicate that it has successfully communicated with the car, or does it not get that far?
It says it is starting charging then just reads 0A, before it would go to 0.8A and sit there with the car car saying ‘battery conditioning’ then it dropped to 0A

Could be the 12v battery needs a boost, either try some jumper cables from another car or a battery booster

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 10.47.37.png

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 10.48.05.png

Also turn off all charging schedules in the car and on the Ohme so they are both trying to charge immediately.

I have an Ohme Pro and only use the Price Cap function rather than any time of day schedule but that will depend on the tariff and energy supplier you have

That sounds like balancing? The car thinks it is already charged?
You are right, it was balancing not conditioning! I disconnected the 12v battery and reconnected and now it’s working fine. I have to admit it doesn’t fill me with the greatest confidence. It’s a works car and I often end up in the rear end of nowhere and do significant miles so will need to use public chargers. Fingers crossed this is just a glitch. There are quite a few at work and never heard of an issue with any of them.

You are right, it was balancing not conditioning! I disconnected the 12v battery and reconnected and now it’s working fine. I have to admit it doesn’t fill me with the greatest confidence. It’s a works car and I often end up in the rear end of nowhere and do significant miles so will need to use public chargers. Fingers crossed this is just a glitch. There are quite a few at work and never heard of an issue with any of them.
You solved it!
But you might ask for a check of battery systems just in case.

You could've had a loose 12v battery terminal and by disconnecting it and then reconnecting it you've solved the problem.

A number of cars have had a similar problem because they remove one of the battery terminals for shipping but forget to tighten it properly and it's missed during the PDI.

You could've had a loose 12v battery terminal and by disconnecting it and then reconnecting it you've solved the problem.

A number of cars have had a similar problem because they remove one of the battery terminals for shipping but forget to tighten it properly and it's missed during the PDI.
It was fairly tight, I have to admit that after 35 years of driving, and loving, old cars including an MGB GT as a daily driver for 5 years, I was not expecting to be digging out the spanners for a new car so soon! A spare 10mm spanner now lives in the boot just in case.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around!

You've got the right car for your line of work so once you have the hang of it you should be fine. Do keep up posted as to how you get on.

Have you got a limit (80%) set on the app or car? The car has probably started balance charging as it thinks it has reached the limit that you have set.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back