New owner with charging issue

Clarky81

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi everyone. We just collected our MG4 Trophy LR yesterday and really impressed so far... However I'm having an issue with charging.

I already have an Ohme Home Pro which I use to charge my Polestar 2 and I just cannot get it to charge the MG at all.

I've read a number of posts on here and can't see a solution anywhere.

Some further information:

I've added the MG as a vehicle in the Ohme app. Replacing my Polestar.

When I connect the charger it makes all the correct sounds, and says it is connected. But the charge stays at 0A and the display in the car shows "charge complete" despite being at only 60% SOC.

There is no schedule set in the car settings, and even disabling all schedules in the Ohme app doesn't do anything.

If I plug into the Polestar is starts to charge immediately.

I thought it may have been because I set up Intelligent Octopus for smart charging, but I have removed the connection for that to the wall box and it still doesn't help.

If I plug in via the granny charger into a 3 pin plug it charges just fine (albeit very slowly).

Help!! Please!

Have you tried it on a public DC charger ?
Not yet, no. I'll try that later.

I have noticed that if I sit in the car, it seems to charge (albeit even on my 7kW charger it's only charging at 3.2kW) but as soon as I get out the car it stops and gives a message that says "charging/discharging can only occur when the car is powered on"

Am I missing something simple here?

Not yet, no. I'll try that later.

I have noticed that if I sit in the car, it seems to charge (albeit even on my 7kW charger it's only charging at 3.2kW) but as soon as I get out the car it stops and gives a message that says "charging/discharging can only occur when the car is powered on"

Am I missing something simple here?
There's actually a section in the manual that says the car should be powered off to charge... but no-one ever does ( I believe)

Try this method, if you haven't already:
Power down the car
Get out of the car and lock it
Unlock the car, open the charging door
Plug in the cable, wait a minute.
Lock the car
Start the charger

Try this method, if you haven't already:
Power down the car
Get out of the car and lock it
Unlock the car, open the charging door
Plug in the cable, wait a minute.
Lock the car
Start the charger
I think I've got it charging, but yet to been if this method will work for scheduled charging (to make the most of cheap overnight rates).

If you haven't already, join here;-

and first go to the MUST READ FEATURED POST to establish how to set up Octopus and Ohme correctly.

If you haven't already, join here;-

and first go to the MUST READ FEATURED POST to establish how to set up Octopus and Ohme correctly.
Thanks. I've requested to join

Just an update. I managed to get the car charging OK by using "fast charge"

I think the problem was that I maybe was opening the car after plugging in and it was stopping the charge. I think that's the issue anyway. I need to learn to power down, lock the car and plug in then walk away!!

I've set up Intelligent Octopus on my Ohme Home Pro again, and am going to try and smart charge again tonight!! Fingers crossed this works with no issues.

Definitely seems a bit less 'easy' than I experienced with my Polestar 2, but hopefully these were just small teething issues for me.

Have you checked the charge bar in the car? Seems strange it stops at 60% - could be that it is set there.
Where would I find the charge bar? One thing I can't find is how to set a charge limit.

I understand that can be Done in the app, however I'm having binding issues which is another problem for another day haha.

Note that you need the car unlocked to open the charging flap. The charge limit can be set via the charge level display on the home page. Tap to access all the HV battery info.

Just an update. I managed to get the car charging OK by using "fast charge"

I think the problem was that I maybe was opening the car after plugging in and it was stopping the charge. I think that's the issue anyway. I need to learn to power down, lock the car and plug in then walk away!!

I've set up Intelligent Octopus on my Ohme Home Pro again, and am going to try and smart charge again tonight!! Fingers crossed this works with no issues.

Definitely seems a bit less 'easy' than I experienced with my Polestar 2, but hopefully these were just small teething issues for me.
You should be able to sit in the car and use aux services ( heater, radio etc) whilst it's charging.
I think once you get it working properly ( following Grriff's instructions above?) It should all settle down and behave how you would expect it to. 🤞

Where would I find the charge bar? One thing I can't find is how to set a charge limit.

I understand that can be Done in the app, however I'm having binding issues which is another problem for another day haha.
Click the charging section on Home Screen, then you should get a pic of the car with a battery gauge in it. You can slide the charge limit on there, it isn’t obvious at all I don’t think.

If the Ohme App is showing "Session Specific Rule" it means you've done something after approving the charge (like opening the door) and plugging in. Simply unplug and plug in again and check the app and re-approve, if needed.

FWIW we use nothing in the car for charging. Have never set anything and don't have the MG app on a phone.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back