New rattle

Sometimes it's the Infotainment display that has a rattle. And the thing about noises inside a car is that they can be deceptive as to their origin.
That's true it's almost akin to finding a water leak, you can see it (hear it) but where is it coming from ?

I'll give the infotainment a friendly 'tug' and see if there is any play. Thanks

I haven’t got near mine yet - wife has it today. If I have time later I’ll have a look though.

For anyone with a rattle that they can’t trace it’s definitely worth putting pressure on areas that you can reach (like the interior light cluster) or taking a passenger out with you who can do likewise. Once you narrow down either where it is, or definitely not, then it’s often a lot easier to trace and fix it.

I do admire people who are prepared to take their cars to pieces! I was apprehensive merely unhooking the rear seats.

When I got my Golf there was a rattle somewhere near the top of the passenger seat belt. Other people in the GTi forum were moaning about rattles and going back to their dealer insisting that they be fixed, but I felt it was such a minor thing I'd probably be shown the door, and put up with it for nearly 14 years!

This is why the VW TV and cinema advert featuring a squeak that is eventually traced to the driver’s earring was banned.
Umpteen complaints from owners that it was misleading etc
Not that I’m suggesting VW are worse than others, I’ve owned enough different cars and enough VWs to know they definitely are generally more solid, but it was unreasonable for VW to advertise that a squeak ‘cannot possibly’ come from the car.

Link to said advert (apparently we also have to ignore the woman is drugged or dead)

Last edited:
I haven’t got near mine yet - wife has it today. If I have time later I’ll have a look though.

For anyone with a rattle that they can’t trace it’s definitely worth putting pressure on areas that you can reach (like the interior light cluster) or taking a passenger out with you who can do likewise. Once you narrow down either where it is, or definitely not, then it’s often a lot easier to trace and fix it.

If you’re truly averse to rattles a mechanics stethoscope is the tool to have.
I had an annoying dash rattle in one of my Audis, a stethoscope traced it to the handbrake button (!!)
The rattle was echoing down the centre console and sounding like it was coming from the dash.
It proved equally effective in tracing a rattle in the rear of my Nissan juke.
A colleague driving with me in the back, seats down and using the stethoscope to trace it.

This is why the VW TV and cinema advert featuring a squeak that is eventually traced to the driver’s earring was banned.
Umpteen complaints from owners that it was misleading etc
Not that I’m suggesting VW are worse than others, I’ve owned enough different cars and enough VWs to know they definitely are generally more solid, but it was unreasonable for VW to advertise that a squeak ‘cannot possibly’ come from the car.

Link to said advert (apparently we also have to ignore the woman is drugged or dead)

I remember seeing that at the time! (I'd forgotten it by the time I bought a VW.)

If you’re truly averse to rattles a mechanics stethoscope is the tool to have.
I had an annoying dash rattle in one of my Audis, a stethoscope traced it to the handbrake button (!!)
The rattle was echoing down the centre console and sounding like it was coming from the dash.
It proved equally effective in tracing a rattle in the rear of my Nissan juke.
A colleague driving with me in the back, seats down and using the stethoscope to trace it.
I’ll definitely look into that, thank you! I really detest them and have odd hearing that often picks up noises (whistles, buzzes, hums and rattles) that other folk don’t hear at all. It’s bloody annoying to be honest, and I’m sure people think I’m imagining it sometimes!

By chance this morning, as I was running a new power cable in my garage, i gently knocked the drivers side tail light with my hand...out came a rattle. The passenger light does not rattle
So I removed the tail light but the rattle is inside the casing
How likely is it that that rattle would transfer itself to sound like it was coming from inside the cabin at the front when driving... pretty unlikely I feel. If so I have rattle no.2

I've now applied the standard cure for any rattle, I've turned the radio up.
Not Listening Dumb And Dumber GIF

By chance this morning, as I was running a new power cable in my garage, i gently knocked the drivers side tail light with my hand...out came a rattle. The passenger light does not rattle
So I removed the tail light but the rattle is inside the casing
How likely is it that that rattle would transfer itself to sound like it was coming from inside the cabin at the front when driving... pretty unlikely I feel. If so I have rattle no.2
Rattles outside can easily resonate inside, in surprising places.

Rattle in my driver’s side fromt door. Touching (a gentle touch) the plastic surrounding the speaker is sufficient to resolve it. Will ask the dealer to sort if out

Just had the bonnet up and there are two plastic panels each with two screws situated out board of the bonnet hinges which could benefit with a small bit of insulation behind each. Nice easy job which may solve at least one potential rattle point. They will be subjected to airflow and touch the bodywork so could manifest themselves at certain speeds and not others.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back