New rattle

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
9 weeks in, my MG4 has developed a buzz/rattle in the driver's side rear door.
Noticed it going over rough surfaces and it rattles when you thump the door, sounds like a loose bracket inside the door.
Anyone else had this ?

Yes, I have noticed a rattle that occurs from an area either behind the glovebox or the passenger door. Just as yours, it occurs when I go over rough road surfaces,. No rattle on the motorway etc

Not my sunglasses, check that, nothing in the glovebox or loose items. I also put velcro on the air flow pipes under the glovebox and they exit the plastic cover to prevent knocking. My from your description, mine sounds the same but on the other side

You do need to check the sunglasses holder though. That one got me on day two of having the car. (Funny there was no rattle when I drove it home from the dealer's...) I'd have looked a right chookie complaining about a rattle that was caused by the polaroids I'd just put into that holder.

No sunglasses holder in my rear door. :LOL:
I did remove everything out of the door pockets and tried thumping it with the window down in case it was one of the window guides that was loose, no change.

Lol... my miss... :rolleyes: mines at the front. I'm going to check it out and thump mine a bit too, one thing that springs to mind is the black plastic at the foot of the door, if that is loose in any way. Other than that I seems like taking the door panel off, but that will be a warranty claim under 'quality' I would think.

No sunglasses holder in my rear door. :LOL:
I did remove everything out of the door pockets and tried thumping it with the window down in case it was one of the window guides that was loose, no change.

The weird thing was, I didn't think my rattle was coming from the sunglasses holder at all. But, mirabile dictu, removing the sunglasses completely cured it! (They're back in there now, but in a soft case that stops the rattle.)

Noticed it going over rough surfaces and it rattles when you thump the door, sounds like a loose bracket inside the door.
Anyone else had this ?
I’ve noticed similar in my front passenger door. It’s not always there for some odd reason, making me think it’s likely something loose, or a wire that isn’t properly insulated. I’m going to remove the door panel at some point and have a look, as rattles drive me nuts!

I’ve noticed similar in my front passenger door. It’s not always there for some odd reason, making me think it’s likely something loose, or a wire that isn’t properly insulated. I’m going to remove the door panel at some point and have a look, as rattles drive me nuts!
Likewise... once I've heard it I can't unhear it. Please let me know how you get on

The weird thing was, I didn't think my rattle was coming from the sunglasses holder at all. But, mirabile dictu, removing the sunglasses completely cured it! (They're back in there now, but in a soft case that stops the rattle.)
Mirabile dictu? Sounds like a Scottish solicitor!

I do admire people who are prepared to take their cars to pieces! I was apprehensive merely unhooking the rear seats.

When I got my Golf there was a rattle somewhere near the top of the passenger seat belt. Other people in the GTi forum were moaning about rattles and going back to their dealer insisting that they be fixed, but I felt it was such a minor thing I'd probably be shown the door, and put up with it for nearly 14 years!

I do admire people who are prepared to take their cars to pieces! I was apprehensive merely unhooking the rear seats.

When I got my Golf there was a rattle somewhere near the top of the passenger seat belt. Other people in the GTi forum were moaning about rattles and going back to their dealer insisting that they be fixed, but I felt it was such a minor thing I'd probably be shown the door, and put up with it for nearly 14 years!
I detest rattles, and in the EV they’re even more obvious than in an ICE car. I prefer to attempt the fix myself rather than take it to a dealer and have the whole ‘I don’t hear any rattle’, or ‘I couldn’t find the source of the rattle’ kind of conversation.

I know the dealers don’t really want to spend the time hunting for small rattles. It can be time consuming, and time is money for the dealers, so I’m happy to tinker myself. For most fixes it’s just a screwdriver and a few plastic pry tools anyway, then a bit of trial and error to find the source of the noise.

I’ve already repaired one in my interior light housing - took 3 goes in the end, as each time I was convinced it was fixed, the rattle returned again! Discovered it was coming from 2 places - the ‘legs’ towards the rear of the car, as they’re plastic on plastic, but also the interior light holder. It presses out from the rear, and the surround of it is again plastic on plastic.

A little foam on both and problem sorted…until the door rattle!!

Anyone else had this ?
Drivers side rear door, yes also had this. It turned out to be my daugther's lipstick in the door pocket! ;)

Whatever it is it's inside the door and it rattles (low pitched like a buzz) when I go over bumpy surfaces, there is nothing in the door pocket.
I can reproduce the rattle if I thump the door near the speaker, but the noise is from above the speaker, so it's not the speaker.
As a matter of interest, I got the same noise, but not as loud, by thumping the other, passenger side rear door as well, but that side doesn't rattle over bumps.

Just been checking mine. I found:
1. Passenger seat belt was stuck between the chair and the seat 'lifter' lever, which when pulled a bit, made a bit of a 'tap tap'. Not the problem though
2. Dropped the glovebox and removed from the car. Added more velcro to the art flow pipes where they pass through the plastic. Nothing else found behind the glovebox
3. The fixing in the passenger floorwell for the glovebox area to the car, has play in it. Fixed a bit sponge behind it to take up the play.

With the glovebox out... the car still rattles when driven over certain bumps / dips at low speeds and seems to be coming from the upper dashboard. So one for my dealer then.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back