New to EVs And the MG5

Fiver

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Good evening to all.

With used EVs now offering excellent value, I have decided to jump in and bought a 2021 MG5 LR.

I’ve been driving it for a couple of days now and certainly enjoying the difference in an EV compared to my previous 3 Series.

I am charging it using the 3 pin charger that comes with the car, and this seems fine to me. I have a 13Amp socket in the garage which has its own feed from the fuse-box.

Will probably get a “proper” charger and cable later.

I am sure I will have loads of questions, and hopefully this is the best place to get them answered :)

Welcome to the community :)
I have a 2021 SR MG5 and I have to say I'm very happy with it.

Welcome. It will be great to have input from someone who has bought a second-hand model, as we're told so often (by the EV haters) that nobody wants a second-hand EV. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Will probably get a “proper” charger and cable later.
Welcome to this little corner of cyberspace and to MG ownership. We've EV's for over 6 years but purchased an MG5 in September last year.

With regard to 'proper' charger which is more accurately known as a wallbox or EVSE unit, may I suggest you look at either MyEnergi ZAPPI or OHME units, they would allow you to use Octopus Intelligent GO at 7.5p kWh overnight and other times which has to be one of the cheapest options around.

If youre not with Octopus and want to go that route there's codes in many members signatures that will give you £50 credit on your account on sign up, well worth it from all angle.

Enjoy your MG.

20230430_164900.jpg

Welcome. It will be great to have input from someone who has bought a second-hand model, as we're told so often (by the EV haters) that nobody wants a second-hand EV. I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase.
Mine was used and no real problems after almost a year of ownership . It's a bit of a lottery really because you don't know how well the previous owner has treated . I've spoken to a few Tesla owners recently and they regularly charge to 100% on a rapid charger . They were on lease and the drivers attitude was " I couldn't care less going back in a couple of months "

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking for a small estate car to transport my bike in. I don’t like putting the bikes on a fitment that is outside the car and displays it to all and assundary. My original idea was to get something like the VW Passat. As it turns out, that’s exactly what I got, “something like” the VW Passat.

Not exactly sure what all the computer bits and screen displays mean, but I do like the nice large digital display of speed.

I really like its styling, both outside and inside. It just looks like a normal car. When I parked it on the drive our neighbour was very surprised when I told him it was an electric car.

Just got to spend some time getting used to it now. It’s so different to all my previous cars.

Welcome to this little corner of cyberspace and to MG ownership. We've EV's for over 6 years but purchased an MG5 in September last year.

With regard to 'proper' charger which is more accurately known as a wallbox or EVSE unit, may I suggest you look at either MyEnergi ZAPPI or OHME units, they would allow you to use Octopus Intelligent GO at 7.5p kWh overnight and other times which has to be one of the cheapest options around.

If youre not with Octopus and want to go that route there's codes in many members signatures that will give you £50 credit on your account on sign up, well worth it from all angle.

Enjoy your MG.
Thank you for the reply.

We are with Octopus, so perhaps at some point I will discuss our options with them. We don’t currently have a smart meter, is this required if we fit a “wallbox”?

Mine was used and no real problems after almost a year of ownership . It's a bit of a lottery really because you don't know how well the previous owner has treated . I've spoken to a few Tesla owners recently and they regularly charge to 100% on a rapid charger . They were on lease and the drivers attitude was " I couldn't care less going back in a couple of months "
You mention charging to 100% as an issue. Is this something I shouldn’t do?

You mention charging to 100% as an issue. Is this something I shouldn’t do?
The 100% rule depends on the battery type. The MG5 has a battery that is recommended not to charge to 100 and leave it there for any period of time.

For example the FL MG5 manual says to keep the battery between 30 and 80 on average and if possible between 50 and 80.

This to prolong the life of the battery.

AC charging is also recommended over DC (rapid) charging as it is kinder on the battery.

In the end it depends on your use of the car. I am a low mileage user so can charge once a week and sit between 50-80 on average

I will of course charge to 100% if I am doing a trip that needs it :)

Thank you for the reply.

We are with Octopus, so perhaps at some point I will discuss our options with them. We don’t currently have a smart meter, is this required if we fit a “wallbox”?
To take advantage of the best tariffs you have to have a smart meter which Octopus will install free of charge. The best tariff for EV's is Intelligent Octopus GO, this requires either a compatible wallbox or compatible car. The MG isnt compatible (MG wont release the API details to Octopus) so you have to get a compatible wallbox, ZAPPI or OHME are the main choices, ZAPPI being the better of the two if you're considering solar or battery storage in the future. IOG gives you 7.5 off peak and 29.6p peak per kWh, you get 23:30 to 05:30 every night on off peak for the whole house (get the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer going along with the immersion heater for good measure). Octopus will also give you additional off peak hours if you charge your car during peak times if they have a surplus of energy available. We charge our MG5 on Sunday mornings and evey time it gives us off peak energy from 06:00 to 11:00, great for the washing and Sunday Roast!

Hi Fiver, and welcome to a brilliant forum and to the world of EV driving.

Do you know if the car was previously serviced at an MG dealership? If so, you get a renewal of the MG rescue through the AA.

Enjoy driving the car as a car. Be aware of how much charge you've got in the battery, just as you used to be aware of how much petrol or diesel was in the tank.

If you get a few apps on your phone which show you where the chargers are around the country, then you won't get range anxiety.

To take advantage of the best tariffs you have to have a smart meter which Octopus will install free of charge. The best tariff for EV's is Intelligent Octopus GO, this requires either a compatible wallbox or compatible car. The MG isnt compatible (MG wont release the API details to Octopus) so you have to get a compatible wallbox, ZAPPI or OHME are the main choices, ZAPPI being the better of the two if you're considering solar or battery storage in the future. IOG gives you 7.5 off peak and 29.6p peak per kWh, you get 23:30 to 05:30 every night on off peak for the whole house (get the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer going along with the immersion heater for good measure). Octopus will also give you additional off peak hours if you charge your car during peak times if they have a surplus of energy available. We charge our MG5 on Sunday mornings and evey time it gives us off peak energy from 06:00 to 11:00, great for the washing and Sunday Roast!
@johnb80 just to avoid any possible confusion don't forget that Wallbox is a brand of EVSE, same as Ohme, Zappi etc.
And it is compatible with Octopus Intelligent, completing the three brands that I'm currently aware of that are.

@johnb80 just to avoid any possible confusion don't forget that Wallbox is a brand of EVSE, same as Ohme, Zappi etc.
Hence why I said the main choices, I knew there was another one but I couldnt remember. I still feel ZAPPI is the best choice looking to the future if Solar or Battery is envisaged and I'm sure more of us will be going down that route if we havent done so already.

And it is compatible with Octopus Intelligent, completing the three brands that I'm currently aware of that are.
Yep and I'm sure there will be more as time goes on.

That's why I always make a point of typing wall box rather than Wallbox (unless I specifically mean the latter). :) (I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus as it happens).

Thanks for all the replies.

Wow! I had not realised my car could do all this ....

Clearly I have a LOT to learn about EVs.

I understand the MG5 can charge at up to 80kW. Using the 3pin plug I am drawing around 10Amps. Not sure what this means kW wise?

Using a “wall box”, would this get me closer to the 80kW? I have looked around at them and they mostly seam to be limited to about 7kW. There does appear to be a lot to choose from.

Lots of new words and terms to get my head around.

Maybe I should be asking these questions on a different conversation thread?

A wall box in the UK domestic setting will usually be 7kW, so will give probably around 6.5kW charge rate into the car. 80kW will require a DC rapid charger (like at motorway services and other places).

How does the "Wallbox Pulsar Plus" rate, any good?
I find it fine - not had any problems with it, other than the WiFi isn't great - I fitted a WiFi repeater/booster inside the house close to where the unit is (on the outside of the house) and that resolved any connection issues. (Initial setup is done via Bluetooth). However I'm not on any time-of-day tariff so haven't tried any form of scheduling - this model is supposed to be compatible with Octopus Intelligent but I can't give any advice in that regards.

A wall box in the UK domestic setting will usually be 7kW, so will give probably around 6.5kW charge rate into the car. 80kW will require a DC rapid charger (like at motorway services and other places).
Just about every newbuild near me has 3 phase installed so 22kW would be the way to go in this situation. Sadly, my cave is 32 years old and has single phase only.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom