New to EVs And the MG5

Hi, I will give it a go. There is a pub not too far from us that has two “Instavolt” chargers that are signed as 150kW. From my understanding now, I can use these chargers and should get the maximum the car can handle. It will be interesting to see how complicated something like this is to do.
You’re bang on the money there, go for it.

I understand the MG5 can charge at up to 80kW. Using the 3pin plug I am drawing around 10Amps. Not sure what this means kW wise?

Using a “wall box”, would this get me closer to the 80kW? I have looked around at them and they mostly seam to be limited to about 7kW. There does appear to be a lot to choose from.

Lots of new words and terms to get my head around.

Maybe I should be asking these questions on a different conversation thread?
On a MG5 LR: -

A 3 pins socket adds c 3.25% per hour, a 7.2kW T2 chargers adds 10.25% per hour.

In winter a Rapid charger peaks at c 63kW/h but in summer I've had 96 kW/h.

The online version does say if you use it daily you should do the slow low charge from 10%.

I have to say as someone who cannot have a home charger and rely on public charging having to drop to 10% and charge to 100% would be a real challenge. Lucky I am a low usage driver only really using it on the weekend.

I can see that would be a challenge, but maybe not as much as you think.

You must surely have an AC charger you use sometimes - you can't do a balance charge on a DC charger, even if you're using DC chargers most of the time. Does that come with a time limit? If it does, that's a difficulty, but if it doesn't then you should be able to use it for this.

Is it within walking distance of home? If so, you're sorted. If not, or if you have to find one with no time limit and that's too far to walk, then could you ask someone for a lift back once you've started the charge, and then a lift to retrieve the car? It should do it in 8-10 hours, so leaving it overnight would be the best idea.

You have to get your ducks in a row and drive the car down to 10% aiming for the night you intend to do the long charge, ending at the chosen type 2 charger. Arrange a pickup (or a taxi) if necessary. The following morning, get a lift or a taxi back.

I started my long charge this evening. As I can charge at home, but I don't have a home charger, the main trick was getting the car down to 10% the day before a day when I won't need to drive anywhere. My original intention was Monday night, and not driving on Tuesday, but various things threw this out including an appointment I'd forgotten on Tuesday, and it ended with me arriving home on Tuesday night with 12% charge, but needing the car today. If I'd had a wall box that would have been fine, just lose 2% charge and go. But as my long charge takes 26 hours, that wasn't going to work.

I did a bit of quick mental arithmetic about how much charge I needed for today's appointment, and how long it would take. The answer was 4 am, so I plugged the car in and set my phone alarm for 4 am. When it woke me I checked and the charge was where I wanted it to be, so I stopped the charge and went back to sleep - all without getting out of bed. I'm not even sure I turned the light on.

Today I managed to arrive home on 8%, having done a small detour to get down to that, and started the charge. I expect it will be done by some time tomorrow evening.

Hi, I will give it a go. There is a pub not too far from us that has two “Instavolt” chargers that are signed as 150kW. From my understanding now, I can use these chargers and should get the maximum the car can handle. It will be interesting to see how complicated something like this is to do.

Instavolt can be pricy, but if you're only practising you don't need to put much in. One thing to watch is that these chargers often share charge, so if there is someone charging at the other one when you're there, it might interfere with the amount of power your car can draw.

I've noticed that some of them start a count-down of (I think) two minutes and the connection and the car talking to the charger and everything have to be done in that time. (Once I had to reposition the car to get the connector to reach, but I still got the charge started within the time.) But give it a go and see how you get on.

Trying as many different public chargers as you can, even if you only take in a few KWh each time, is a really good idea.

I can see that would be a challenge, but maybe not as much as you think.

You must surely have an AC charger you use sometimes - you can't do a balance charge on a DC charger, even if you're using DC chargers most of the time. Does that come with a time limit? If it does, that's a difficulty, but if it doesn't then you should be able to use it for this.

Is it within walking distance of home? If so, you're sorted. If not, or if you have to find one with no time limit and that's too far to walk, then could you ask someone for a lift back once you've started the charge, and then a lift to retrieve the car? It should do it in 8-10 hours, so leaving it overnight would be the best idea.

You have to get your ducks in a row and drive the car down to 10% aiming for the night you intend to do the long charge, ending at the chosen type 2 charger. Arrange a pickup (or a taxi) if necessary. The following morning, get a lift or a taxi back.

I started my long charge this evening. As I can charge at home, but I don't have a home charger, the main trick was getting the car down to 10% the day before a day when I won't need to drive anywhere. My original intention was Monday night, and not driving on Tuesday, but various things threw this out including an appointment I'd forgotten on Tuesday, and it ended with me arriving home on Tuesday night with 12% charge, but needing the car today. If I'd had a wall box that would have been fine, just lose 2% charge and go. But as my long charge takes 26 hours, that wasn't going to work.

I did a bit of quick mental arithmetic about how much charge I needed for today's appointment, and how long it would take. The answer was 4 am, so I plugged the car in and set my phone alarm for 4 am. When it woke me I checked and the charge was where I wanted it to be, so I stopped the charge and went back to sleep - all without getting out of bed. I'm not even sure I turned the light on.

Today I managed to arrive home on 8%, having done a small detour to get down to that, and started the charge. I expect it will be done by some time tomorrow evening.
If I used the car a lot it may be easier. On an average week I only use 20-30%. Getting down to under 10% would take a few weeks.

I almost always use AC chargers only using DC on road trips. :)

After a year the SOH is 100% and even though I have done a few balance charge it seems it has not needed much as the car finishes charging shortly after hits 100%. Not going into a long balance mode.

I think this is down to very few rapid charges probably only done 3 or 4 in a year.

If I get an opportunity and down that low
I will give it a try.

I don't think it's critical, but I think it will help the battery retain its range and the GOM give good estimates. I also think that if you don't do it, you can make up for it later. Although don't quote me on that.

It's easier than you might think just to keep driving until the SoC is low. Trust the car, it isn't suddenly going to brick on you.

You will find it really easy. Plug in and wave a card. Job done.
For practice it doesn't really matter which brand of charger you use or how much power you get etc. it's just about being happy you have done it and and gain the confidence that if you ever need to again it's not something to be feared.

I did the thing where you fully charge your car then power it up and turn all the aircon etc off and reset the trip. The range came back with 247 miles. So not too much range lost on the battery?

I have never ever done a balancing charge, but do sometimes charge to 100%.

Closest has been 19-100% in Portugal & a 26-100% on the way back

I did the thing where you fully charge your car then power it up and turn all the aircon etc off and reset the trip. The range came back with 247 miles. So not too much range lost on the battery?
Sounds good 99% SOH

I have never ever done a balancing charge, but do sometimes charge to 100%.

Closest has been 19-100% in Portugal & a 26-100% on the way back
I am possibly making the fatal mistake of assuming that as you went to 100% you were on AC, then unless you unplugged the moment it hit 100% it would have started balancing.

I can only charge to 100% on AC as DC chargers cut out at c97% on the MG5

In that case, just let the car sit on the AC charger till it's done. Might take longer than usual if it's not been done before. The way you can tell that it's done is that the app shows the car at 100% but there is no finishing time or charging power indicated. If it shows 100% but the finishing time is the same as the current time and there is something entered for charging power (even if it's 0.0) then the car is still balancing.

In that case, just let the car sit on the AC charger till it's done. Might take longer than usual if it's not been done before. The way you can tell that it's done is that the app shows the car at 100% but there is no finishing time or charging power indicated. If it shows 100% but the finishing time is the same as the current time and there is something entered for charging power (even if it's 0.0) then the car is still balancing.
I believe @EVsince2016 has a pre-facelift 5 so no app. :(

On the pre-facelift if it says 'connected, finished' on the dash it is balance charging, if it says connected uncharged, it is not charging. It says this before charging starts, eg when plugging in before an overnight charge and after balancing has completed or charging has stopped but cable is still connected.

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking for a small estate car to transport my bike in. I don’t like putting the bikes on a fitment that is outside the car and displays it to all and assundary. My original idea was to get something like the VW Passat. As it turns out, that’s exactly what I got, “something like” the VW Passat.

Not exactly sure what all the computer bits and screen displays mean, but I do like the nice large digital display of speed.

I really like its styling, both outside and inside. It just looks like a normal car. When I parked it on the drive our neighbour was very surprised when I told him it was an electric car.

Just got to spend some time getting used to it now. It’s so different to all my previous cars.

Thank you for the reply.

We are with Octopus, so perhaps at some point I will discuss our options with them. We don’t currently have a smart meter, is this required if we fit a “wallbox”?

You mention charging to 100% as an issue. Is this something I shouldn’t do?

The odd thing about the MG5 is that it was developed as a petrol car (I believe it was the the Roewe 350 ?) by SAIC, so it has a big bonnet and room for an engine - unlike other EVs which have a snub nose, no need for a roomy compartment in the front. Had my Short Range MG5 since June 2021, love it!

The MG5 "down under" is a petrol car. :)

Link below needs you to be in Oz, or use a VPN with an Oz server connection:

This one works directly:

I have to buy a car in the next 2 months and have been looking at a MG4 or a MG5 or maybe a Leaf, though I am worried that I will get fed up of the Leaf and regret buying it soon after.
I see a few MG5`s on autotrader for a decent price, but have heard they are quite popular with taxi drivers and wonder how well they have been looked after, you know fast charging, sick over the back seats, bodily fluids etc lol.
I currently have an Ionic 40kWh and think I will have to buy a MG4 Trophy to get the same extras that I currently have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to buy a car in the next 2 months and have been looking at a MG4 or a MG5 or maybe a Leaf, though I am worried that I will get fed up of the Leaf and regret buying it soon after.
I see a few MG5`s on autotrader for a decent price, but have heard they are quite popularwith taxi drivers and wonder how well they have been looked after, you know fast charging, sick over the back seats, bodily fuids etc lol.
I currently have an Ionic 40Kw and think I will have to buy a MG4 Trophy to get the same extras that I currently have.

You can get a report of battery health from the seller, if it's coming from an MG dealer. Lots of people fast charge their cars a lot and they're fine.

Also, you can presumably check the seats and so on yourself.

A friend recently told me about someone who had had a "bomb" put in his car. It seemed fine when he bought it, but over the following weeks it became clear that the previous owner had been a heavy smoker, and the smell of smoke got worse and worse. It had permeated the upholstery and the dealer's attempts to clean the car had not been effective.

He found out about this service where they essentially fumigate the cars by putting something that emits a vapour that removes all smells. Chuck it in the car, close all windows, and retire to a safe distance. The company said that most of their business actually came from car dealers preparing second-hand cars for sale. Apparently it worked, and no more cigarette smell was experienced.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom