New to EVs charging query

Teaselwheels

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
Hi All,
This forum has proved most helpful for a number of queries I've had re my new MG4 Trophy Extended Range & just EV life in general. Thank you for that.

Having only picked up the car just over 2 weeks ago it's been a steep learning curve and a whole new EV world for me. Especially so since I've moved from a 10yr old Polo, which I thought was advanced as it had internally adjustable & heated door mirrors :) Before that I had a Land Rover Defender where tech didn't really feature. I've been rocketed into the 21st EV Century & I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

Anyway the question is about charging: I've got a home charger & I'm on the Octopus Go 4hr cheap rate tariff. I know the battery isn't like a phone or laptop battery but, do I charge it up fully then run it down as much as I can and then charge up again? Or do I keep it at a certain mid way? Or just plug it in every day and let it charge up to full ready for whatever happens the next day?
I don't go far most days but there are fairly routine occasions where I'm doing a 190 mile round trip.

Thank you

Welcome.

Keeping it simple.
For your battery keep it between 20% and 80%.
Charge it to 100% once a month but leave it connected until the charging level drops to zero to balance the battery.
Don't keep it at 100% for any length of time so do the balance charge the night before you go on a reasonable journey the following day, perhaps before you do your 190 mile round trip.
Once every 3 months run it to below 10% and back up to 100% to recalibrate the battery management system.

Hi All,
This forum has proved most helpful for a number of queries I've had re my new MG4 Trophy Extended Range & just EV life in general. Thank you for that.

Having only picked up the car just over 2 weeks ago it's been a steep learning curve and a whole new EV world for me. Especially so since I've moved from a 10yr old Polo, which I thought was advanced as it had internally adjustable & heated door mirrors :) Before that I had a Land Rover Defender where tech didn't really feature. I've been rocketed into the 21st EV Century & I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

Anyway the question is about charging: I've got a home charger & I'm on the Octopus Go 4hr cheap rate tariff. I know the battery isn't like a phone or laptop battery but, do I charge it up fully then run it down as much as I can and then charge up again? Or do I keep it at a certain mid way? Or just plug it in every day and let it charge up to full ready for whatever happens the next day?
I don't go far most days but there are fairly routine occasions where I'm doing a 190 mile round trip.

Thank you
There's a lot of advice out there. Personally I would charge up to 80% as the norm. Then on days where I need the full charge, let it charge to 100%

Your manual should provide advice. For the long range Trophy the advice is to maintain the battery between 20% and 80%, charging to 100% before long journeys but the extended version may be different.

20230430_164900.jpg

Enjoy your new motor. 🙂👍

Agree, think a lot of things are far to,
overthought, making things much more complicated than they actually are. 🙄🙂👍
Also agree

As I’ve posted more than once. I haven’t got a home charger & have to rely on public chargers until early next year so no recommended slow charges, balancing for me

Right now my car is showing 18% charge, later for first time I’m going to charge it to 100% as tomorrow I’m over on ferry & then to Guildford & back so it’ll get a good run

I’m still not convinced everyone will end up in EVs, especially not in the time frame they aiming for but let’s see.

But just say all drivers were in EVs today. There will be millions that will have to rely solely on public chargers so it’s going to be pretty difficult for those people to follow the recommendations of balancing, slow charging every month or so.

I’ll look after my car as I’m not sure how long I’ll have it so I’d to like to think the person it moves onto next will have a working car but I’ve give up now worrying about every little thing. I just want to charge it & go.

I’ll look after my car as I’m not sure how long I’ll have it so I’d to like to think the person it moves onto next will have a working car but I’ve give up now worrying about every little thing. I just want to charge it & go.
Totally agree. 👍

Most phone makers made it hard to set a charge limit. That's because they want you to buy a new phone regularly and burning out the battery is a deliberate strategy.

Last time my Samsung Galaxy updated itself, it added the option to restrict the charge to 85%. Might have been listening to EV owners who have got educated.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back