New wireless charging pad

founny1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello once again
Last post honest.

I can confirm that they have updated the tray your phone goes on.
My phone has not once landed in my passengers lap. šŸ˜
Cheers

Just a thought for SE owners, could a low profile wireless charger fit under the pad and plug into USB so works same making it wireless charging when put phone on holder

Just a thought for SE owners, could a low profile wireless charger fit under the pad and plug into USB so works same making it wireless charging when put phone on holder
Probably not much point in this, as CarPlay only works when the phone is connected with a cableā€¦afaik anyway

To be honest, wireless android auto doesn't have a convincing use case. The connection is going to be less stable than USB, has lower bandwidth and drains the battery unless it's on a charger. USB has none of these problems and is literally just plug and play with no faff. Given the infotainment panel runs on Android and the Trophy has a SIM with data connection, it is a shame that they can't integrate it into the system though. It is far superior to any manufacturer software, even Tesla.

I have only just upgraded my Android phone to one that supports Android Auto, and frankly I am in awe. I've never used a satnav before, never really felt the need, and I'd heard so many stories of people blindly following them into very dodgy situations. I managed to get from central Scotland to the south coast of England and back a couple of weeks ago without needing any directions. (Then my old phone died while arguing with an Ionity helpline on the way back.)

The problems I'd heard about from years ago seem to have been sorted. The notorious error in my village where travellers approaching from the south were directed through a deep ford to save a couple of hundred yards no longer happens. The damn thing knew about a traffic jam 50 miles away when I set off on a journey earlier this week and kept my ETA updated accordingly, in real time.

I had checked the car park I was heading for on Google maps on my PC before setting out, and when I got in the car and plugged the phone in, that car park was immediately presented to me as my provisional destination. I had only looked at the thing, I hadn't even used the "send to phone" button, which I hadn't noticed.

The recalculation if you go off route (and it did send me off route yesterday - I knew better, but I thought I'd see what happened) is impressively fast. I had to cross Edinburgh yesterday unexpectedly, an area where I have notable form for getting catastrophically lost in, but I just followed the blue line and it took me there. (Without it I'd have driven out to the ring road and back in on a road I knew.)

It tells me the truth about the speed limit on the road I'm on, rather than brazenly lying to me as the car's speed limit detection cameras do.

I can see the potential to have it integrated into the car. But it does a grand job in my SE, and I'm not even remotely hankering after the Trophy's built-in satnav. I can work out when and where I need to charge, in the rare event of me actually needing to charge away from home.

I am enjoying the built in sat nav so far. Previously I would just use google maps on my phone having first worked out my route before leaving. I like the traffic updates on a large screen so I can zoom out and check ahead for the notorious jams near home and go cross country if needed. I've not played much with CarPlay yet as it looked a bit clunky when I tried it briefly but I may give it a try with ABRP.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back