New Zealand Tesla charging experience

kiwi

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
First charge on Tesla in Bulls! Six 250 kW stalls.

IMG_1933.jpeg
IMG_1934.png

Last edited:
Was it all quite straight forward ? I downloaded the app on iPhone, signed up etc. havent used it yet - but - Looks like it will just use apple pay? didn't even want a credit card.

@craigupnorth on the Tesla app Account page that shows the Apple Pay option, there is a small + in the top right hand corner. Tap that and you can add another payment method (credit card).

It is easier to use than ChargeNet or Z because there is no silly fob to misplace and no often broken control panel. More expensive though. Best part is the look on the faces of the Tesla owners when you front up and then watching their jaws drop when the charger connected! If you really want to rub it in you can give them the Tesla wave when you leave (no not the one finger one, but the friendly hand lift off the wheel).

@dsimpkins ChargeNet is 85c per kWh for the 150 kW chargers and 80c for the 50 kW chargers in the same location. Best price is usually Z at 69c per kWh but occasionally ChargeNet is 50c at some locations. Of course some of the big NZ gentailers (generator+DMO in UK) offer free charging but usually only AC.

In Whanganui today, then up to Inglewood to see a mate, then up to Hamilton via Mokau which will be fun.

First long trip in the MG4 but we’re regular users of our ZS EV to Hamilton via SH1 and use ChargeNet, Z, and Zero. Plugshare is also good for planning.

I’ve been waiting on the opening up of the Tesla Supercharging network for a while and it’s a great addition to the NZ EV infrastructure. Not many Superchargers available yet (they have to be the newer ones) but the app shows what's available.

Last edited:
And one more first time charge at Johnsonville Wellington:

IMG_2291.jpeg

Despite the welcome mat:

IMG_2290.jpeg

Just needed a quick top up to get home. Six 150 kW stalls of Elon’s best electrons. Apart from the price, what’s not to like?

IMG_2389.jpeg

Another trip home from Hamilton to Waikanae and we needed a top up in Taupō, named after the 616km2 caldera lake namesake.

There has been a modest Tesla presence there for a while but a nice new nine bay 250kW capable Supercharger beckoned from the Kokomea Village near Rainbow Point. It’s in the carpark of the Countdown supermarket.

Still has Tesla painted tarmac but with helpful instructions for clients without Teslas:

IMG_2391.jpeg

This is where the MG4 Essence Trophy spec shines, 140kW charging made short work getting our 20% up to about 60% before tapering down before we unplugged at 80%.

Last edited:
Well I’ll post my update … used the Telsa supercharger at Ruakura on the way home from the V8s yesterday. Excellent … 41kWh in 28 mins, went into the Cambrossa restaurant, had some fries, dumplings, cauliflower and coffees - they got the message and served us quickly ! Great option to get a lot of charge quickly.
IMG_0997.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel