New ZS EV ower here with a couple of questions

You getting yours from Panda, I'm the same as you picking mine up with new reg
Seems a few of us have hammered Panda lately!
My collection date is the 10th from there!

@simon enjoy the car!
Was there much of a handover process? Do you know if the BMS update is applied?

The guy at Panda said there were 7 handovers to be done today but some of them were having issues with insurance. Handy tip, get insurance sorted before you go there.

The handover was seamless, just show driving license and pay your money.

The car is currently on charge, I am using the Rolec charger and the app allows me to state what time I want the car to be fully charged by. I could see on the display in the car that the charger was plugged in but not charging. The app told me it will start charging at 6pm. So the BMS update is done.

Only thing I can't figure out is how to use android auto together with the memory stick for music, any ideas how to do that?

The guy at Panda said there were 7 handovers to be done today but some of them were having issues with insurance. Handy tip, get insurance sorted before you go there.

The handover was seamless, just show driving license and pay your money.

The car is currently on charge, I am using the Rolec charger and the app allows me to state what time I want the car to be fully charged by. I could see on the display in the car that the charger was plugged in but not charging. The app told me it will start charging at 6pm. So the BMS update is done.

Only thing I can't figure out is how to use android auto together with the memory stick for music, any ideas how to do that?
Plug the memory stick in the socket nearest the centre. Phone in outside socket. I don’t know about Android, but iPhone works fine like that: just press the middle of the volume knob to get to the home screen.

forthe Rolec, is the ‘trickle’ charge switched off? - just contact ev.energy support and they turn it off in minutes.

Good tip! I planned on sorting it on pickup so will rethink that...

I doubt you can play music from the stick while in Android auto. Android auto effectively hands control of the media system to your phone to control (hence no lag by comparison to the normal system). It would be good if you could though!

Plug the memory stick in the socket nearest the centre. Phone in outside socket. I don’t know about Android, but iPhone works fine like that: just press the middle of the volume knob to get to the home screen.

forthe Rolec, is the ‘trickle’ charge switched off? - just contact ev.energy support and they turn it off in minutes.
Thanks Skippy.

How do I find out about the trickle charge? When I popped out to look, the car was at 98% with 203 miles, does this mean I got 203 miles range?

Is trickle charge a bad thing? I have no idea if the car was ever at 100% so I want it to do the equalisation charge thing.

Good tip! I planned on sorting it on pickup so will rethink that...

I doubt you can play music from the stick while in Android auto. Android auto effectively hands control of the media system to your phone to control (hence no lag by comparison to the normal system). It would be good if you could though!
There is third party insurance cover provided with the registration of the car but I would suggest getting fully comp sorted out. You may have to speak to your chosen insurance company as some of them request the registration number, but as the car hasn't been registered yet the car details won't be found.

I've never had a car with android auto so I'll have to think of something else for music!

Thanks Skippy.

How do I find out about the trickle charge? When I popped out to look, the car was at 98% with 203 miles, does this mean I got 203 miles range?

Is trickle charge a bad thing? I have no idea if the car was ever at 100% so I want it to do the equalisation charge thing.
It’s saying 203 miles based on how you drive it and the mode (eco/normal/sport). You’re driving too gently!

if you’ve set the car in the app to be a ZS EV then it gets turned on by default. It takes 1.5kW when the car connects to the charger. If you have a smart meter you can see that. The app shows it too in stats iirc. Trickle charge isn’t bad for the car, but it will end up costing a bit of you’re using the timer to charge on cheaper rate electricity.

There is third party insurance cover provided with the registration of the car but I would suggest getting fully comp sorted out. You may have to speak to your chosen insurance company as some of them request the registration number, but as the car hasn't been registered yet the car details won't be found.

I've never had a car with android auto so I'll have to think of something else for music!

You can play music from a usb stick no matter whatever phone you have connected. Plug in your USB stick with the music files on it to the bottom USB slot and when you want to play it all you have to do is when you have a radio on press the radio station you are currently playing and a menu comes up to select the type of radio you want to listen to, as well as FM or DAB and you will find a music (I think it says music, it could be aux) one, press that and it will play whatever is on your USB Stick.

Regards

Frank

It’s saying 203 miles based on how you drive it and the mode (eco/normal/sport). You’re driving too gently!

if you’ve set the car in the app to be a ZS EV then it gets turned on by default. It takes 1.5kW when the car connects to the charger. If you have a smart meter you can see that. The app shows it too in stats iirc. Trickle charge isn’t bad for the car, but it will end up costing a bit of you’re using the timer to charge on cheaper rate electricity.
Thank you. I have looked in the app, can't see anything like the 1.5kW, its showing as finished at around 8pm and the graph is flat after that.

You can play music from a usb stick no matter whatever phone you have connected. Plug in your USB stick with the music files on it to the bottom USB slot and when you want to play it all you have to do is when you have a radio on press the radio station you are currently playing and a menu comes up to select the type of radio you want to listen to, as well as FM or DAB and you will find a music (I think it says music, it could be aux) one, press that and it will play whatever is on your USB Stick.

Regards

Frank
Thank you, will give that a go tomorrow.

I thought the updates enabled charging without the doors being locked ??

Welcome. The way I have checked for BMS update (nothing to look at!) is:

Connect up granny charger.
Do not power it up.
Lock doors.
Wait for 20mins
Power up charger
Look through side window at instrument panel
If it says ‘charging’ you’re up to date / don’t have the sleep issue.

I thought the updates enabled charging without the doors being locked ??
Hi Dave,

I have had the update and you can ONLY charge the car without it being locked when you are using a CCS RAPID charger any AC charging can only commence with the doors locked.

Further to playing music from a USB stick I found another way to do it. You are driving down the road listening to whatever radio station and when you want to play the USB music then just press the SRC button on the steering wheel twice, first press goes to AM Frequency band (if you have any AM Stations already programmed in it will play them), second press takes you straight to your USB Stick.

The display will show the blocks showing; USB Player, Navigation, etc etc, if you press the USB Player on the screen it will go to the more detailed USB Player interface. Funnily enough you can't use the SRC Button to get back to the radio, you have to press either FM or DAB on the screen, strange!

Hope this information is of use.

Frank

there is (now) a later update to BMS that i understand allows charging with doors unlocked, as well as fixing timer charging properly. I’ll be able to confirm this this week hopefully.

Thank you, will give that a go tomorrow.
Hi,

Another update on using the SCR Button on the steering wheel. When you power up the car the initial display (unless you change it) on the Radio is; 3 rectangular boxes, first one is the radio, second the Navigation and lastly the box where you show either Android or Apple Play.

A few seconds after power up the radio station you last selected will come on and as long as you leave the display untouched the SRC Button when used toggles between, FM, AM and DAB Stations and the USB Stick with your music on it. As long as you leave the display untouched the SRC Button will keep toggling between the radio stations and USB Stick every time you press the SRC Button.

As soon as you change the display the SRC Button functions differently, play with it and you will see what I mean.

Regards

Frank

Can you just ask the dealer as I'm sure you asked them to do the updates, as I'm aware some don't offer the updates unless asked.
totally agree - as good as my local ones were, I had to return it back to them. Upon coming back home I used the previously mentioned method with granny just to find it was not done. The excuse given was that computer was showing no upgrades available. Back to them and threatened I would not accept the car till it works and had to talk them through the process - plug in no power, lock, come back 30 minutes later turn on granny = should charge. If not - try again. It's all done now though - works perfectly fine every time even after 24 hours

there is (now) a later update to BMS that i understand allows charging with doors unlocked, as well as fixing timer charging properly. I’ll be able to confirm this this week hopefully.
Update on the update. It’s been updated and you can indeed charge on AC with the doors unlocked. You can also get in and power up, turn on the audio and HVAC and everything.
It also (main thing really) means you can delay charging without needing the 1.5kW ‘trickle’ to stop it nodding off. It also seems that this update included the ‘HV Fuse’ update.

People should be able to check if present by:
Unlocking and open a door to prevent passive relockin
Connect an AC wall charger/granny cable
Power up the charger. Check that charging starts without locking the doors.

?

Mine doesn’t charge on the 7 kWh charger or granny charger without my doors being locked, but I’ve had the comfort 2 updates....perhaps this is another element that failed in the process and therefore may ask for all the updates to be reinstalled when it goes in for the 15000 miles service as I’m not confident about any of these updates...it worries me to be honest....

Mine doesn’t charge on the 7 kWh charger or granny charger without my doors being locked, but I’ve had the comfort 2 updates....perhaps this is another element that failed in the process and therefore may ask for all the updates to be reinstalled when it goes in for the 15000 miles service as I’m not confident about any of these updates...it worries me to be honest....
It’s a completely separate update to Comfort 2. It will be applied as part of service as there are Service Actions to do that (and the fuse protection update). I got it now as the car was meant to have ‘all the updates’ at PDI and they agreed that the charging behaviour wasn’t as it should be.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom