Newbie here

Wonders how much charge you get out of 7kw charger during a Tesco shop. As much as a kw. 😂
Guess it depends how long your shop takes.
A big shop for us can take up to an hour, which is a 10% boost for the battery. Not amazing...maybe 15-20 miles, but for free...can't complain.

There's also a chargepoint charger near me that is incorrectly giving free electricity (says it's 16p per kWh but I've never been billed yet...in the app it says £0 after charging). It's beside the beach and a small park where we take our toddler on nice days so can easily spend 2 or 3 hours there.

A big shop for us can take up to an hour, which is a 10% boost for the battery. Not amazing...maybe 15-20 miles, but for free...can't complain.

There's also a chargepoint charger near me that is incorrectly giving free electricity (says it's 16p per kWh but I've never been billed yet...in the app it says £0 after charging). It's beside the beach and a small park where we take our toddler on nice days so can easily spend 2 or 3 hours there.
Guess that's the point of 'grazing' - pop the car on a 7kW charger for anything between 30 minutes and 2 hours whilst shopping, having lunch, whatever - and gain enough charge to at least cover your journey. Even better if it's free vend as it's something for nothing.

My problem I don't have access to home charging, living in a flat with no off road parking so have to use public chargers that I can leave on for a good charge. Have asked the councill if they are going to install any chargers for flat dwelllers, no was the reply. Wont be getting my vote in the next elections 😂

My problem I don't have access to home charging, living in a flat with no off road parking so have to use public chargers that I can leave on for a good charge. Have asked the councill if they are going to install any chargers for flat dwelllers, no was the reply. Wont be getting my vote in the next elections 😂
That's not so great - I'm on South Lanarkshire and have around 18 x Charge Place Scotland AC chargers within half a mile of where I live - and 4 Podpoints at Tesco just a touch further away.

It's admirable to get an EV when you have literally NO means of charging it yourself. My flat-dwelling daughter in Bracknell would love one, but having to depend on public chargers would take away much of the cost benefit ( - they are nearly all not free in England).

The fact that charging is largely free in Scotland presumably contributes towards the high proportion of folks here from north of the border (and the useful grant).

Hey as mentioned I am in the exact same situation. Own a flat in a council block. My council is Hackney and they do seem to be adding more street charging points but refuse to allow me to install one (ground floor) or put one in the garage I rent from them. The quick and easy ones they are putting up are ones they build straight in to street lamp posts. These are only 5 to 7kwh but better than nothing. They are not free and a little high in cost (23p/kwh) but still works out better than petrol. I do plan to use free supermarkets and there are a few high speed chargers around I can use for a quick top up if needed. I think not having access a home charger is a bit of a pain and does raise the costs a little but still worth the switch.

It's admirable to get an EV when you have literally NO means of charging it yourself. My flat-dwelling daughter in Bracknell would love one, but having to depend on public chargers would take away much of the cost benefit ( - they are nearly all not free in England).

The fact that charging is largely free in Scotland presumably contributes towards the high proportion of folks here from north of the border (and the useful grant).
They are not all free, the ones with the cobwebs on them are the paying ones. 😂😂

Tried both the free 7 and 22kw free charger at my local Tesco, however (and I did try and find it n the instructions) however there appeared to be no difference in the amount of charge the car received. Is a MG5 limited as to how much charge the 5 will accept through the type 2 plug?
Chris

When charged in Blackpool on a pod point charger was if remember a 7 kw took some time but charged fully a 100% oh and a mg5 👍

Tried both the free 7 and 22kw free charger at my local Tesco, however (and I did try and find it n the instructions) however there appeared to be no difference in the amount of charge the car received. Is a MG5 limited as to how much charge the 5 will accept through the type 2 plug?
Chris
7kw on a type2 plug. Apparently its to do with the car, it can only take up to 7kw on the ac side. I got caught out that way myself. 😳

With my LEAF in pre-solar days & when still on a granny meter, I used free public chargers a lot. Nobody used them, I needed all the range I could get & home charging was costly.

Now I do not use the free chargers. They are often busy, too slow to be much use except for a long stay and I am usually well charged from free solar anyways..

Others need them more than I do.

With my LEAF in pre-solar days & when still on a granny meter, I used free public chargers a lot. Nobody used them, I needed all the range I could get & home charging was costly.

Now I do not use the free chargers. They are often busy, too slow to be much use except for a long stay and I am usually well charged from free solar anyways..

Others need them more than I do.
Yeah, me 😂😂😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom