Newbie questions

In terms of new wires, I have one rather thick wire from my consumer unit (fuse box) to the charger and that's it. The installers are usually pretty experienced and did a much neater job of the unsightly wire than I had hoped for, but it can't be avoided. (If there is not a spare port on your consumer unit, or in some cases even if there is, you may have a new small breaker box next to your consumer unit.)

Relating to what someone said above, Rolec used to be one of the top brands and still is, AFAIK, but others may have now overtaken it, especially with features relating to using time-of-use electricity tariffs, or smartness in comms with the car (which I understand isn't as fulsome as some other cars anyway).

In terms of new wires, I have one rather thick wire from my consumer unit (fuse box) to the charger and that's it. The installers are usually pretty experienced and did a much neater job of the unsightly wire than I had hoped for, but it can't be avoided. (If there is not a spare port on your consumer unit, or in some cases even if there is, you may have a new small breaker box next to your consumer unit.)

Relating to what someone said above, Rolec used to be one of the top brands and still is, AFAIK, but others may have now overtaken it, especially with features relating to using time-of-use electricity tariffs, or smartness in comms with the car (which I understand isn't as fulsome as some other cars anyway).
Thanks for the

Thanks for the helpful update Smokie.

Thanks for all the swift and useful replies. One more very newbie question. How much does it cost roughly to do a full charge from home on the Rolec charger or similar please? I'm on a SSE fixed rate tariff where I pay 20.11 per kWh for electricity. Also what would be it cost at a charging station like podpoint at Tesco or Genie at Morrisons. I note the suggestion about just going to 80%, thanks. I asked the dealer about this and he said he they had checked with MG who said fine to charge to 100%. I'm more inclined to go with the view of owners on this fab forum who actually live with the car! My new commute in January is a 90 mile round trip so just a bit twitchy about getting 'caught short.' Thanks everyone.

Including VAT and rounding you pay £0.21 per KWh. The usable battery holds approx 57 KWh.

If "empty" £0.21 X 57 = £11.97 to 100% (it will never be empty).

If going from 20% to 80% costs you £7.18

Hope that helps

Hi
I have had my MG5 EV since may. It is an excellent car and the dogs love travelling in it.
When you purchase the car i would recomend that the fitted mat is purchased also I would recommend that you ask for a get you home spare wheel kit instead of the glue and compressor. I live in the middle of Wales and know it can be a few days before a replacement tyre is available !
One final point they do make a black plastic protector that goes on the top surface of the bumper, it a good fit and looks tidy and protects damage to paintwork from paws !!!!
I am sure if you had a good conversation with the dealer a sensible price could be worked out ( I started at zero and it worked !!)
Enjoy your car

Another newbie. Thanks for asking these questions. Replies very helpful -thanks. Waiting delivery of my Excite short range. Can I also ask about installing a home charger please? We are getting a Rolec ( anyone got one?) Slightly concerned with the installation as they asked where our fuse box and meter box is - the fuse box is in the downstairs loo in the middle of the house (not near an outside wall) and our meter box is on an outside wall which is on next door's drive. Worried this will cause problems and additional expense with cables visible everywhere. Awaiting a home survey visit. Any advice appreciated - thanks
I have a Rolec charger, it works just fine, has done for nearly 2 years. I know some people don't like them and the app is a bit limiting and there are certainly better out there, but having said that, I have only tried the one I have. All I can say is it works for me, I have adapted the way I use it with my ZS EV. Some of the problems are down to the car, the way you can't plug it in so it starts charging at a certain time. You have to plug it in, then lock the car so it starts charging when you want it to start.
I haven't explained this very well. PM me if I didn't make sense.
As far as wiring in your box, it is what it is, basically, the feed has to come from your consumer unit when the installer comes, make sure you are happy with where the cable goes, DON'T just let them do the easiest for them. make sure you know what's going to happen and you are happy with that, if it's not what you expected find out why. Think very carefully about where the box is fitted with regard to where you want to park and, when I got mine I got the longer lead because I wanted, and you need the cable to lay flat on the ground when charging. Again PM me if you want

Including VAT and rounding you pay £0.21 per KWh. The usable battery holds approx 57 KWh.

If "empty" £0.21 X 57 = £11.97 to 100% (it will never be empty).

If going from 20% to 80% costs you £7.18

Hope that helps
Just what I needed thanks

I believe Tescos has some AC type w chargers and some faster DC CCS chargers. The AC ones are free but there is a charge for the faster chargers.

Thanks for all the swift and useful replies. One more very newbie question. How much does it cost roughly to do a full charge from home on the Rolec charger or similar please? I'm on a SSE fixed rate tariff where I pay 20.11 per kWh for electricity. Also what would be it cost at a charging station like podpoint at Tesco or Genie at Morrisons. I note the suggestion about just going to 80%, thanks. I asked the dealer about this and he said he they had checked with MG who said fine to charge to 100%. I'm more inclined to go with the view of owners on this fab forum who actually live with the car! My new commute in January is a 90 mile round trip so just a bit twitchy about getting 'caught short.' Thanks everyone.

If you want to save a lot of money as in 5p/unit and get £50 my sharing link!

It equates to 1.25p/mile on the 4 hour overnight cheap rate or £2 a charge

I believe Tescos has some AC type w chargers and some faster DC CCS chargers. The AC ones are free but there is a charge for the faster chargers.
Yes, I had a look at a couple of Tescos, 28p Kwh for 50Kw charger, free for a 7kw seems to be normal. But he couldn't rely on just free charging at Tesco, ours only let you park for 2 1/2 hours and from what he said that wouldn't be enough daily charge

Yes, I had a look at a couple of Tescos, 28p Kwh for 50Kw charger, free for a 7kw seems to be normal. But he couldn't rely on just free charging at Tesco, ours only let you park for 2 1/2 hours and from what he said that wouldn't be enough daily charge
The NK I need to check exactly what chargers they h
Cannon park Coventry.
Think I've solved it. The chargers are associated with the shopping centre, rather than Tesco's. Thanks for all the replies.

Cannon park Coventry.
OK, on zapmap it looks like the one close to that Tesco is ESB energy at 28p BUT Aldi has a free 22kw charger on Swarco. If that helps, but it also looks as if it NOT 22kw

Last edited:
OK, on zapmap it looks like the one close to that Tesco is ESB energy at 28p BUT Aldi has a free 22kw charger on Swarco. If that helps, but it also looks as if it NOT 22kw
Oh, the life of an EV owner!

If you want to save a lot of money as in 5p/unit and get £50 my sharing link!

It equates to 1.25p/mile on the 4 hour overnight cheap rate or £2 a charge
Octopus aren't accepting transfers at the moment.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom