Newish Owner

My Octopus Go is 15.18p/kWh standard and of course 5p/kWh for 4 hrs per night. Standing charge is 25p/day. Even this is cheaper than your current tariff. You must be paying an arm and a leg at your rates with the hot tub.
I’ve just put in actual data into switch and this results say I’m better where I am?
DFE67FA6-651C-4FFB-B4BA-5BDC9180491C.jpeg

Do you have a smart meter?

if so check your half hourly usage against Go / Go Faster. Smart tariff requires ability to shift load

I’ve just put in actual data into switch and this results say I’m better where I am?
View attachment 3872
Hi,
The Go tariff is not shown you have to ask for it once with octopus but you do need the smart meter version 2. I am on 5p 13.8p day and 25p a day. You also dont have to get your gas from octopus if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. The prices do vary over the country

Guys,

You are going to confuse yourself. The term destination charger is nonsense. Just call a charger a charger it does not matter whether you are coming or going it's just a charger. So what point am I trying to make. Chargers are either AC or DC. AC chargers include your granny charger, your Home Charger and the public chargers you find out and about, Tescos , Aldi etc etc and in Most cases max out at 7kwh. AC charger as the name implies used AC which is fed in to your car's on-board charger which converts the AC to DC and directs it to your main battery. Most cars (except the Zoe and some teslas which can utilise 22kWh on AC) can only accept a maximum of 7 kwh (most PHEV only accept 3.6kwh). AC chargers (whether you call them destination chargers or whatever) are mostly untethered and therefore you need to supply your own charging lead, however just to confuse things there are some tethered AC public chargers that run at 22kWh which any car can use but your on board charger determines the charging rate NOT the charger. Now destination charger is the term usually associated with DC RAPID Charger which an EV would use when on a long journey as they can enjoy up to 350kwh (some can be higher) however this is a mute point as most cars can only handle about 50kwh and besides high powered chargers are very rare anyway. Just call chargers chargers , for example if you have no access to a home charger and use a RAPID Charger say 50 yds from your house it's just a charger,

Some points to note:-

a. AC charging is only good for top ups.
b. DC charging is the only chargers suitable to move around with EV s on long journeys, and only them would I call a destination charger (still just a charger).
c. Almost ALL AC chargers are untethered, it's only the RAPID AC (only seen up to 42kWh AC chargers) that are tethered but what use are they as most cars can only handle 7 kwh AC anyway.
d. All DC public chargers are tethered.
e. In all cases the main battery is always charged by a DC current regardless of what charger you are using.
f. When using a public charger with more than one DC output it is normal that only one of them can be used at any time. For example rock up to a DC charger with a CCS and Cdaeomo (whatever, Leaf input) and a Leaf is plugged in then the CCS can't be used.
g. PHEV can't use DC RAPID chargers, only AC chargers which can be tethered or untethered but remember only 3.6 kwh.

it took me about six months of use before I got the hang of things especially the AC bit, many a time I used a 42kWh AC charger and wondered why it took so long to charge. The DC charging limitation of only one port at a time just pissed me off.

I am probably preaching to the converted but guys/gals new to EV S may find this useful

Frank
And this was written so as not to confuse people 😕

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom