No, radio, silence is golden - radio defaults to "on"

QLeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So sorry if this is an FAQ, but I've searched the forum for some time, and looked through the manual too, and can't find the answer.

The radio on our new computer suite - sorry, car, comes on automatically. I can't find any way of turning this off. It's probably simple. but if anyone has a clue, I'd be grateful.

We're at the papercut stage of new MG4 ownership, finding out the little things that we will have to change (eg OSMAnd navigation on phone and tablets? No, have to use approved Android Auto options) and what other things we need to discover that will be great.

Pressing the Pause button on the Home Page works, as I recall.
Thanks, yes, that works after it has already started, but next time the car boots, the radio comes on again.

We find the opposite - it never stays on and you need to turn it on ever time you get into the car
:) Just goes to show you can't please everyone all the time! Oh, there's got to be a setting somewhere....

So I think I've read that this depends on your infotainment version and car spec version.

E.g I have a trophy on r24 infotainment version, and if I pause the radio or USB music when I leave the car (via the right side steering joystick centre-button) - I have to press the same button upon entering the car to start the recently played music.

But some people with SE have reported their music defaults to on when entering the car, regardless of whether they paused it.

So I think I've read that this depends on your infotainment version and car spec version.

E.g I have a trophy on r24 infotainment version, and if I pause the radio or USB music when I leave the car (via the right side steering joystick centre-button) - I have to press the same button upon entering the car to start the recently played music.

But some people with SE have reported their music defaults to on when entering the car, regardless of whether they paused it.
Ah, OK, ta. I have not tried the steering wheel control, just the centre screen. I'll try that.

That's it! Thanks a lot. This is on our SE LR.

The default for the radio seems to be controlled via the steering wheel control only. The centre screen only changes the setting temporarily.

Thanks all.

So, on an SE, we can make the music go away until we want it again by pausing it on the steering wheel button?

That's good to know, I had the permanently-coming-on sound system down as one of the SE bugs, but if it can be circumvented by using the steering wheel button, that's one bug off the list.

So, on an SE, we can make the music go away until we want it again by pausing it on the steering wheel button?

That's good to know, I had the permanently-coming-on sound system down as one of the SE bugs, but if it can be circumvented by using the steering wheel button, that's one bug off the list.
I may have spoken a tad too soon. It worked once; I got in, switched off the radio on the way described, and the radio now showed a "Play" button rather than a paused button. Good. I got out, locked, gave it a few seconds, then opened up. Perfect. But later I went back and the radio was playing again.
Should be able to test some more tomorrow.

Quite honestly I've always been used to leaving the radio or sound system on in my car, so it's surprising it narks me so much. But I always turn it off if I have passengers, and then I want it to stay off until I tell it it's OK to come out of hiding again.

Who remembers old transistor radios where there was a single button that turned the radio on and also controlled the volume? Rotate to the right and you switch on. Keep turning and the volume increases. Think of the MG volume button in the same way (but without the satisfying click when you switch on and off).
Having said that, the radio and its controls in the MG4 are absolutely awful.

That would work for the radio, but not for the USB music system, because it would keep playing the track so when you wanted to listen again you'd be miles ahead of where you were. I suppose you'd have to stop the USB track then switch to the radio and put the radio volume to zero.

What a palaver.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 524 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel