I’m going to suggest what we should be suggesting to anyone coming to this forum with an issue: check your infotainment system version. If it’s not the latest, get your dealer to upgrade it first then if it still doesn’t work we could take a look. And if someone reports they see same, could they also provide the version of the infotainment
I will also list all the modules versions of my car as I got it updated only a few days ago including front camera, charging unit and other components
Not everyone receives a complete listing of the updates.

Not everyone receives a complete listing of the updates.
Could you say where I can find the version number of the infotainment system. Dealer says I have the latest version, quoted BCM & BMS updates. After a test drive the technician now says an update is required for the camera as it has poor qualities for retaining speed signs within urban areas. The technician tried to make onscreen adjustments, which has now also produced another issue whereby the radio cannot select any fm/dab stations.
The car has covered 2k miles and I'm not too happy with numerous IT issues that I've experienced. Next visit to dealer 19th Feb, and I'll report back my findings
17088640218783855072617197855311.jpg
17088640218783855072617197855311.jpg

Last edited:
Speed sign recognition on my car was completely random. Some times it showed up, sometimes it didn't. Problem went away after swapping my 12v battery for some reason.

It really helps if you could tell us more: such as what modules were updated if you know, or take down the version number of the infotainment screen, although speed sign recognition would most likely be linked to the camera module.
Out of curiosity, question for those with a working software: on the models with navigation, do you guys get the speed signs as recognised by the camera or as per the navigation map? Do you also get a flashing NSL sign at speeds above 60mph?
Yes get a flashing NSL above 60mph on dual carriageways etc

Yes my car seems to think that NSL is 60mph even on the motorway :)
Also I'm pretty sure the signs are recognized by the camera.
Same here. It reads the signs with the camera. Just before I get on the motorway I'm on a 50mph road and as there are no signs it flashes like mad when I'm doing 70. Not that it will help if there was one as it's still going to think nsl is 60 lol

I always get a limit of 10 km/h on the dash at specific roads like a highway with official limit of 130 km/h or in a city on a street with 50 limit. But this is not MG specific, I had the same or at least effects with other cars, although when my 10 year old car works a bit better. So for me this is a general symptom of such (not reality approved) assistant systems.

At the end I am just ignoring it as it is not reliable most of the time.

Same here. It reads the signs with the camera. Just before I get on the motorway I'm on a 50mph road and as there are no signs it flashes like mad when I'm doing 70. Not that it will help if there was one as it's still going to think nsl is 60 lol
In Scotland most motorways use a 70 sign rather than an NSL sign. :) However dual carriageways without a reduced limit still use the NSL sign, so we still get it flashing when going >60 mph.

Yes my car seems to think that NSL is 60mph even on the motorway :)
Also I'm pretty sure the signs are recognized by the camera.
On my MG5 it seems to think NSL is 60 on some A roads but 70 on others, but on motorways it seems to get that it's 70. Examples that I've seen local to me are the M180 is seen as 70 but the A180 which is a continuation of the M180 is only seen as 60. However the A15 which is a dual carriage way is seen as 70 (both A15 & A180 are dual carriageways with motorway style sliproad junctions).

Yes get a flashing NSL above 60mph on dual carriageways etc
All speed signs on the Trophy are picked up by the camera, there's no link to sat nav. Also the displayed signs on the dash will blink once the limit has been exceeded.

The camera recognition on my Trophy was rubbish, until the infotainment software was updated. From memory the current version is 64.
Mine has been updated to latest spec. Still having problems with sign recognition, technician say a software update is now required for the camera....fingers crossed they will eventually find a solution 😉

Could you say where I can find the version number of the infotainment system. Dealer says I have the latest version, quoted BCM & BMS updates. After a test drive the technician now says an update is required for the camera as it has poor qualities for retaining speed signs within urban areas. The technician tried to make onscreen adjustments, which has now also produced another issue whereby the radio cannot select any fm/dab stations.
The car has covered 2k miles and I'm not too happy with numerous IT issues that I've experienced. Next visit to dealer 19th Feb, and I'll report back my findingsView attachment 24303View attachment 24303
Should MG allow an update that now permits the speed recognition signs to be inadequate? Prior to the update the system worked to my entire satisfaction.
Responses would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 1708864596556105654702370713583.jpg
    1708864596556105654702370713583.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 24
So according to that job sheet it's MG's design intent that the traffic sign recognition does not work properly?

This is very very disappointing for a car manufacturer. There are simply too many issues with software. And the issues also vary from version to version. And updates in the same version can also have different results. It has been said that other manufacturers also share these issues. But if I check them, it isn't this bad.
Personally, I have issues with
ACC :
-kills speed in the bends,
-minimal acc distance not saved (and distance is still too large),
-unnecessary cuts speed during overtakes),
-insufficiant anticipation of speed and distance to the car in front of you leading to harsh braking,
- no alternative e.g. traditional CC
TJA:
-twitchy and restless even in a straight line,
LKA:
- Error prone, defaulted always to a mode that is too rough, no option to quickly and safely disable
AUDIO:
-no option to select favourite radio stations using buttons (why do I have list??)
- alternative of AA with other navis, but I prefer the oonbosrd Navi to simply work
Navi:
->1,5 year old maps.
-Still no voice assistance in my language (laughable english pronounciation)
Speed sign recognition:
- it even shows speed signs of 120 kmh that will cause speeding, whereas during the day no speed over 100kmh is allowed here.....

So I never use speed sign recognition, LKA, ACC,TJA. According to the dealer I have the latest software, so this is it.

Mechanically, the car does not convince me very much either. The cabin is still noisy with the 18 inch. The steering wheel still isn't stable (though better than before). Little or no effort can be found to insolate. Power consumption is pretty poor above 105kmh. Steering is ok
Indeed, this it. The car will go back to MG as soon as I get an alternative.

Last edited:
Such disappointment, alterations that relate to the original specification where it's no longer acceptable to the owner, can be taken further, particularly if they occur within the first 6 months. These issues can be reported via the Consumer Credit Act, Consumer Protection Rights 2015, and eventually to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
It is my intention to pursue these avenues, as it's my belief that I'm being fobbed off by MG, HQ, which may result in some compensation.

You have all those same consumer rights laws, with the same dates, in NZ? Or are you in Christchurch, Dorset?
Dorset

You have all those same consumer rights laws, with the same dates, in NZ? Or are you in Christchurch, Dorset?
Christchurch, Dorset. If you have the car on a finance agreement you may be required to notify them before proceeding further, as the car may belong to them until final payments are made

This is very very disappointing for a car manufacturer. There are simply too many issues with software. And the issues also vary from version to version. And updates in the same version can also have different results. It has been said that other manufacturers also share these issues. But if I check them, it isn't this bad.
Personally, I have issues with
ACC :
-kills speed in the bends,
-minimal acc distance not saved (and distance is still too large),
-unnecessary cuts speed during overtakes),
-insufficiant anticipation of speed and distance to the car in front of you leading to harsh braking,
- no alternative e.g. traditional CC
TJA:
-twitchy and restless even in a straight line,
LKA:
- Error prone, defaulted always to a mode that is too rough, no option to quickly and safely disable
AUDIO:
-no option to select favourite radio stations using buttons (why do I have list??)
- alternative of AA with other navis, but I prefer the oonbosrd Navi to simply work
Navi:
->1,5 year old maps.
-Still no voice assistance in my language (laughable english pronounciation)
Speed sign recognition:
- it even shows speed signs of 120 kmh that will cause speeding, whereas during the day no speed over 100kmh is allowed here.....

So I never use speed sign recognition, LKA, ACC,TJA. According to the dealer I have the latest software, so this is it.

Mechanically, the car does not convince me very much either. The cabin is still noisy with the 18 inch. The steering wheel still isn't stable (though better than before). Little or no effort can be found to insolate. Power consumption is pretty poor above 105kmh. Steering is ok
Indeed, this it. The car will go back to MG as soon as I get an alternative.
Will you be seeking compensation?

Will you be seeking compensation?
No. Although under European Law I could try, my personal experience with e.g. LKA will not hold against the arguments of MG (system works, latest update) unless you get some objective support to make your case. That isn't going to happen and the stress isn't worth it.

No. Although under European Law I could try, my personal experience with e.g. LKA will not hold against the arguments of MG (system works, latest update) unless you get some objective support to make your case. That isn't going to happen and the stress isn't worth it.
Software problems appear common with several other manufacturers and unless we hold them to account they will try to fob you off.
Will you be buying another MG?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel