Non-Charging

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
So, I've just come to charge my car from my Zappi for the first time and - it doesn't:(
I get the message 'Pilot Error' on the Zappi which alludes to a faulty connection, possibly corroded connectors.
The Zappi cable seems perfectly fine, but I'm not so sure about the car's charging port. It seems to me that the CP pin is too far back in the connector body.
The L1 and N pins also seem a little dark in colour in comparison to the PE pin, but I'm reluctant to try and clean them as I'm none too sure if they are live or not when the car is powered off.
What does the hive mind think? If that CP pin is too far in, then how was the car charged initially?
I really don't want to be without a car for weeks, which is what I'm guessing it would take to get a new charging port fitted under warranty, so do I also risk grabbing that pin with pliers and pulling it outward? Probably not, as it could just slip back again.
PXL_20230102_143014394.jpg

Are you able to try another charging point? Has a neighbour got one to try just to see if it's the car or your Zappi?

I think the CP pin is like that on all cars so that it is the first connection to be broken when the cable is removed. This ensures there is no arcing between the power pins.

Edit: I've just checked mine and it's the same.

The CP pin is set back so that it is the last to make contact.
The earth pin again has fully metal contact but the L1 and N are similar to a 13A plug pins and coated in plastic.

Hmmm, so I wonder why I'm getting the 'Pilot Error' message :unsure:
I don't have a neighbour with a charger or even have a working chargepoint near me unfortunately.
My son has had no problems charging his Ioniq from the Zappi, so I think it unlikely to be a Zappi fault. I'm stumped for an answer.
Looks like I'm going to have to use the last bit of battery level to get to a dealer. I thought things were going too well :(

Hmmm, so I wonder why I'm getting the 'Pilot Error' message :unsure:
I don't have a neighbour with a charger or even have a working chargepoint near me unfortunately.
My son has had no problems charging his Ioniq from the Zappi, so I think it unlikely to be a Zappi fault. I'm stumped for an answer.
Looks like I'm going to have to use the last bit of battery level to get to a dealer. I thought things were going too well :(
Do you have the charging cable that plugs into a normal 13amp house socket?

Yes, I do have a granny charger, but the distance from the house to the car would involve the use of an extension lead, and I don't have one that I would trust at high current values.

and yes, I have tried rebooting the Zappi a couple of times with no joy I'm afraid.

Yes, I do have a granny charger, but the distance from the house to the car would involve the use of an extension lead, and I don't have one that I would trust at high current values.

and yes, I have tried rebooting the Zappi a couple of times with no joy I'm afraid.
An extension lead would be ok for a quick 5min test, even at full power. You could also limit the charge current to 6A for a long charge if you need it.

Does the car recognise that is plugged in? Does it say anything unusual?

I guess you know this but myenergi has their own forum.

According to the manual, Residential (Granny/Type 2 EV Charger - choose your nomenclature) charging procedure is:

Quote:

1 Ensure the vehicle is power OFF and ALL doors are
CLOSED.

Resolved: Note the above!! - Thank-you all! - thats where I'd been going wrong for the past few months in my hour(s) of panic!!

🙏🙏🙏

Whilst I apprechiate that this was your very helpful post - 'Pilot Error' message :unsure: sounds like the car is powered up??

Hi @Cocijo , yes, thanks - I am a member of that forum actually.
However - problem solved!
I am an idiot. People who know me wold probably be nodding and saying "so?" at this point!
@Tig170 , just beat me to it! Answer? Lock the doors! They do need to be locked in order to initiate the charge. I believe you can unlock after the charge has started though.
I had forgotten to follow my own advice (here) which was just as relevant when using a Zappi as it is to using a granny charger!
The only odd thing was the unhelpful error message, although the Zappi only interprets the car refusing the charge as a bad connection.

Hi @Cocijo , yes, thanks - I am a member of that forum actually.
However - problem solved!
I am an idiot. People who know me wold probably be nodding and saying "so?" at this point!
@Tig170 , just beat me to it! Answer? Lock the doors! They do need to be locked in order to initiate the charge. I believe you can unlock after the charge has started though.
I had forgotten to follow my own advice (here) which was just as relevant when using a Zappi as it is to using a granny charger!
The only odd thing was the unhelpful error message, although the Zappi only interprets the car refusing the charge as a bad connection.
Is that locked or closed?

You can unlock the car again after the charge has started.
Interestingly though, if you then lock the car again, you have to restart the charge!
I had forgotten to follow my own advice (here)

... , until this morning (albeit not on the wall charger - as that is only set up to come on at midnight - so always had the car locked (otherwise the lights wont go off) and doors closed!), I just couldn't get the correct sequence to work on a granny charger (see here), locking powers OFF the car, but the you can't plug in the charger, I found (I think), that whether the car is locked or unlocked), it still starts to charge - but the most importantly ALL the doors need to be closed.

This has driven me nuts for 3 months, ironically, personally I think that @Sloucher 's post should be a sticky post (here) - with an appropriate title, now that ABI & insurance challenges appear to be easing.

You're tying yourself in knots
I have been for 3 months, in trying to get the correct sequence! - Importantly just reading through Bernie's (@Sloucher) paper manual - on page 172 it says:

Rapid Charging Safety Precautions

Before connecting the rapid charger, switch the vehicle power system OFF and wait 10 seconds.

.... this is news to myself, as found the rapids worked either with the car powered up or not - in the future will certainly be powering down before instigating charging (I think I've only had 1 in about 20 rapid charging fails, with the MG4 powered on), but nevertheless its does make very good sense thinking about it, not only for your own safety, but also the delecate electronics?)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back