Not impressed how rusty this is about to become.

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
This skinny metal thing under the car is already about to shift color and get rusty. Car isn't even a year old.

Attachments

• IMG_6626.jpeg
    IMG_6626.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_6625.jpeg
    IMG_6625.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 414
When is your first service? The dealer do a rust warranty inspection I think for the warranty, will be interesting

Warranty says:

Perforation is defined as corrosion or rusting through of a body panel on the vehicle from the inner surface, to the outer surface (resulting in a hole).

Does that mean thaay outside rust aren't covered at all? Which cars rust from the inside?

My MG4 had Mercasol treatment done by Antirust Norway, for MG Norway, before the local dealer got the car. Very visible on mine through the wheel arch, as it has loads in there, most I have ever seen on any car. If followed up by Antirust Norway regularly, they have up to 15 years rust guarantee.

I have the same issue with the MG4 (15k miles) - and although I'm not happy - it is what it is - (rust all over the underside of the body - hopefully the LFP battery will last longer in home energy storage?)- I do recall my 1st new car, a ford Ka in 1997 (UK inland based-sheffield - 8k new)-it only lasted 6 years before it was scrapped, at around 100k miles. So why would the MG4 be any different? - at the end of the day the car costs (in full) about 1/2 as to what I'm earning (per year before tax!) - nothing has changed in 30 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's 'stainless' steel and is made in China, it is very likely to go rusty in a short space of time. It is a sad fact but has been my experience over many years and with a wide range of products from outside lights to BBQ accessories ... or almost anything else you can name.

The warranty states the following:

Anti-Perforation WarrantyTerms & Conditions
• The definition of perforation is: The corrosion or rusting through of a body panel on the vehicle from the inner surface through to the outer surface resulting in a physical hole.
• Anti-Perforation Warranty only applies to the following panels; Bonnet, roof, boot lid, tailgate, front wings, rear quarter panels, doors, side sills, pillars and underbody.

We are talking about the underbody. This is covered. Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
The warranty states the following:

Anti-Perforation WarrantyTerms & Conditions
• The definition of perforation is: The corrosion or rusting through of a body panel on the vehicle from the inner surface through to the outer surface resulting in a physical hole.
• Anti-Perforation Warranty only applies to the following panels; Bonnet, roof, boot lid, tailgate, front wings, rear quarter panels, doors, side sills, pillars and underbody.

We are talking about the underbody. This covered. Or am I missing something?
The operative words being "rusting through", not mere surface rust. MG want to inspect at every service and then presumably they decide whether to take any action or leave it and replace if it rusts through.

I
The operative words being "rusting through", not mere surface rust. MG want to inspect at every service and then presumably they decide whether to take any action or leave it and replace if it rusts through.
I was afraid you would state this.
A similar statement is found in the Toyota Warranty. When they spotted a rusty part just next to the right rear wheel of my Aurist, they immediately took precautions to prevent more expensive repairs.

So, you are suggesting that prevention is not expected to be a common practice?

I was afraid you would state this.
A similar statement is found in the Toyota Warranty. When they spotted a rusty part just next to the right rear wheel of my Aurist, they immediately took precautions to prevent more expensive repairs.

So, you are suggesting that prevention is not expected to be a common practice?
I don't know for a fact, I am speculating that MG don't want to do preventative maintenance because surely if they did they would treat the underside of the car when supplied new.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back