• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Octopus Go cheap electric tariff

Octopus has finally got back to me and 'invited' me to join the Go Faster tariff with the 3, 4 or 5 hours time slots with rates of 4.5p, 5p and 5.5p /Kwh and time slots starting from 20.30 onwards.

I've filled in the application for the 20.30 slot for 5 hours, like @Cbrom01 so I can move more appliances to take advantage of the cheaper prices, but I was fortunate to have gotten the cheaper 2018 Go tariff (14.19p/Kwh) and will have to move to the newer daytime rate which they haven't specified in the email but a Google search revealed it will be 15.5-16.2p/Kwh, an extra 2p/Kwh.

Hopefully, I've done my sums correctly and moving my washing machine and dishwasher to the cheaper rate and perhaps persuade 'the boss' to do the hoovering during off peak hours, I should recoup the extra daytime rate easily enough. :unsure: :D

The switch should take a week or so, which takes me to the end of the month. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say, so I'll let you know how I get on over the next few months.

The email also said this is a beta/trial and limited availability in the slots, so for those thinking about moving to Go Faster, I'd get cracking on your sums and, if it's right for you, get an email in as soon as you can before they run out of availability in your area!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Octopus has finally got back to me and 'invited' me to join the Go Faster tariff with the 3, 4 or 5 hours time slots with rates of 4.5p, 5p and 5.5p /Kwh and time slots starting from 20.30 onwards.

I've filled in the application for the 20.30 slot for 5 hours, like @Cbrom01 so I can move more appliances to take advantage of the cheaper prices, but I was fortunate to have gotten the cheaper 2018 Go tariff (14.19p/Kwh) and will have to move to the newer daytime rate which they haven't specified in the email but a Google search revealed it will be 15.5-16.2p/Kwh, an extra 2p/Kwh.

Hopefully, I've done my sums correctly and moving my washing machine and dishwasher to the cheaper rate and perhaps persuade 'the boss' to do the hoovering during off peak hours, I should recoup the extra daytime rate easily enough. :unsure: :D

The switch should take a week or so, which takes me to the end of the month. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say, so I'll let you know how I get on over the next few months.

The email also said this is a beta/trial and limited availability in the slots, so for those thinking about moving to Go Faster, I'd get cracking on your sums and, if it's right for you, get an email in as soon as you can before they run out of availability in your area!

Cheers

Bloggsy
We have always used our washing machine on a timer so using that at night is not a problem. I was considering using an early morning slot as the electric shower uses 9Kw+. But not happy about the 15p+ as I am currently on 13.8p

We have always used our washing machine on a timer so using that at night is not a problem. I was considering using an early morning slot as the electric shower uses 9Kw+. But not happy about the 15p+ as I am currently on 13.8p
I must admit, I had to do some head scratching and a lot of maths but I think the additional cost will be made up from moving the off peak forward. It just means I won't be saving as much as I would have done at my old peak rate! :unsure: :rolleyes:

Hopefully, I'm right but time will tell once I've started on the Go Faster tariff! The only worrying thing is when I read the T&C's it does say that I may experience billing issues but Octopus will do their best to minimise this!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Has anyone gone for the other Octopus Go tariffs that give you 5 hours off peak but at 5.5p?
Assuming you had an almost empty ZS each time you charged the difference in cost between 5 hours at 5.5p and 4 hours at 5p plus 1 hour at 14.5p is negligible. However, most times you'll not home charge from almost empty and will put in less than 28 kWh which you'd get in 4 hours. So if 4 hours most times is going to be enough, I'll stick with regular "OctopusGo" at 5p and not change to 5 hour "OctopusGo Fast"- why pay more than 5p.

Benefit thst I can see is that you can choose a start from time from around 8pm. That way you can plan to run more things that your car. Washing machine spinning at 3 in the morning! For me it is a shower (electric) each night about 9:30, dish washer etc

Benefit thst I can see is that you can choose a start from time from around 8pm. That way you can plan to run more things that your car. Washing machine spinning at 3 in the morning! For me it is a shower (electric) each night about 9:30, dish washer etc
I agree mostly with BarryH's comments re charging for 4 hours being sufficient but the main factor, for me, is the time. If I could keep everything the same but move the off peak forward, I'd jump at the chance as, like mystreet, I can move my 'heavy' usage appliances to a reasonable time such as dishwasher, washing machine and ironing.

My youngest has also just got a new computer for her birthday, which runs at 500W (it's a gaming rig) so I can see her on that thing until bedtime, after dinner! :rolleyes:

I agree that this tariff won't suit everyone but if you don't have a timer facility and don't like staying up until after midnight, it might be worth changing to Go Faster!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Unbelievably, I've just had an email from Go Faster to confirm my switch and, after clicking on the usual 'I agree' to the T&C's, am now on the new tariff with a 4 hours cheap rate from 20.30 tonight!

Screen.jpg

I'd better amend my Pod Point app and tell the wife we can switch on the dishwasher and washing machine after dinner! :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Bloggsy

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 121
Quick question, as I am just about to email them. Can you request a start time on Go Faster or do they allocate one?
First reply from octopus is a form for how long and which time slot you want. Second reply is "yes, click link to change over" or "we can't give you that time slot but you can have this one".

it seems octopus prices have gone up, now on a par duel fuel with Bulb
Yeah, I was lucky to get onto Go at the 2018 prices but missed the deadline for the Go Faster tariff so am on the 2021 prices! :rolleyes:

Oh well! I am saving money - just not as much as I would have done if I'd been on the 2018 prices!

It also means that I can check my off peak usage the next day, rather than having to wait another day, on their website / app.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom