• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Octopus Go cheap electric tariff

I've started my switch to Octopus and have stuck my referral code into my signature, if anyone's interested?!! ;) I'll be dropping them an email next week to check how long it'll be before I can get onto the Go Tariff - I have a SMETS1 meter, so here's hoping they can read it.

Cheers

Bloggsy
Depends on what type of smets1 you have. I have the secure 100 one and that was no bother with octopus. Switch went without a hitch. It might be one way of getting an upgrade to smets2 but when I was with Scottish electric for a brief period they were very reluctant to change it to a smets2 even though they could not read my meter and it was dumb for all intents and purposes. It might just be because they are rubbish or there might br no incentive to upgrade. No idea.

Has anyone gone for the other Octopus Go tariffs that give you 5 hours off peak but at 5.5p?

I'm sure I've seen other members put their referral code onto their posts - there's going to be a bit of a battle between you all! I'm intending on switching when my energy plan is due to be renewed later this year, so it makes sense for me to use a member's code.

If there is a members meet up, I'll see who will bribe me with coffee and I will use their code! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Cheers

Bloggsy
Really like the idea of a meet up 👍

I'm sure I've seen other members put their referral code onto their posts - there's going to be a bit of a battle between you all! I'm intending on switching when my energy plan is due to be renewed later this year, so it makes sense for me to use a member's code.

If there is a members meet up, I'll see who will bribe me with coffee and I will use their code! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Cheers

Bloggsy
Good point.

Well I switched to Octopus from EON, and they confirmed on Thursday 6th May that I was now with Octopus and would be on their variable tariff until my request to move to Octopus Go was completed. I have a Secure SMETS1 smart meter, which EON installed, and according to the website, should be readable by Octopus.

2 days later (i.e. this morning ;)) , I received an email from Octopus confirming they can get 30 mins readings from my meter and have switched tariffs to Octopus Go! :cool:

An absolute breeze - makes me wish I did this sooner!

Cheers

Bloggsy

It's great that Octopus has the referral programme so both people benefit from anyone switching suppliers to them, although I think it can also get a bit competitive if we're all fighting for the 'new' potential switchers, and I'm not beyond bribing others to use my code with cake and coffee at any future meet-ups! ;) :sneaky:

However, can I just say a very grateful and heartfelt 'thank you' to the member who's signed up and used my code already, please? I would've given a personal message but I'm not sure of their username on the forum!

Cheers

Bloggsy

OctopusEnergy installed my smart meters very quickly about a month after switching to them. Unfortunately they disconnected a week later. I’ve been waiting since September to have them reconnected but they have promised me compensation as I was waiting to change to Octopus Go to charge my MG.

OctopusEnergy installed my smart meters very quickly about a month after switching to them. Unfortunately they disconnected a week later. I’ve been waiting since September to have them reconnected but they have promised me compensation as I was waiting to change to Octopus Go to charge my MG.
My switch to Go now done only took a couple of days.
Are they the new type of meter

My Octopus smart meter switch was straightforward and readings started working after a few days. Switched successfully to 'Go' after a phone call to their helpdesk as it wasn't very intuitive. Getting the IHD to work is another matter. Not ever successfully connected to the meter so I'm trying a series of 'turn it off and let the battery run down' tests to try and get it to connect. No luck so far - anyone else had the same problem?

Contract with Avro is up, they have sent me their best quote, see attached.

Will Go be a better bet for me?

First on to answer (truthly) with their £50 code will get my vote if I sign up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-205208_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-205208_Outlook.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 140
Contract with Avro is up, they have sent me their best quote, see attached.

Will Go be a better bet for me?

First on to answer (truthly) with their £50 code will get my vote if I sign up
It's really hard to say as although the 'Unit Rate' is cheaper (on Go it's 14.19p), your electricity is generally cheaper regardless of when you use it, if you can move anything to be charged between 00.30 to 04.30, you'll benefit from the 5p rate so you'll benefit even more.

However, the Daily Charge (or Standing Charge) is 25p so is more expensive by 8p. You will have to use sufficient electricity to make up the 8p difference but, honestly, if you can move your EV charging (and anything else), to the cheap time you'll get back the 8p back without issue.

IMHO, I'd say switch to Go but be aware that this tariff is only for Electricity. If you can, keep your gas with your current supplier (or move to another supplier that's just as cheap) as if you move your Gas, it goes to Octopus's Flexible Tariff which is 2.9p/Kwh and 19.64p/day (slightly more expensive than what you've been quoted)!

What I did was work out how much power I used to charge my car, then deducted that from my annual consumption. As I can time my charge, I multiplied my car charging by 5p and the remainder of my electricity usage by 14.19 and add in ££91.25 for my year's Standing Charge and that gives you a rough idea of what you are likely to pay with Octopus.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bloggsy

My rate is 13.8p per kWh with a daily charge of 25p. 0030 to 0430 charged at 5p per kWh so according to your quote that should be better. That said, rates do vary across the country...

Yes - I did the same - same rates. I’m pleased now that my podpoint app can setup timed charging too
share.octopus.energy/pear-yak-272
I'm thinking of changing too but I'm having difficulty in setting the time on my iPod app

My rate is 13.8p per kWh with a daily charge of 25p. 0030 to 0430 charged at 5p per kWh so according to your quote that should be better. That said, rates do vary across the country...
Ah yes, good point. I must admit I forgot that Octopus vary their prices slightly!

Cheers

Bloggsy

I'm thinking of changing too but I'm having difficulty in setting the time on my iPod app
Is that Pod Point? If so, have you got the latest app? If you change the time to 00.30 to 04.30 everyday, it should charge during the off-peak period - you can also have a look at the light on the front of the charger and if it shows a 'steady' (i.e. not flashing) green light, it should switch on at the next scheduled charging time.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Is that Pod Point? If so, have you got the latest app? If you change the time to 00.30 to 04.30 everyday, it should charge during the off-peak period - you can also have a look at the light on the front of the charger and if it shows a 'steady' (i.e. not flashing) green light, it should switch on at the next scheduled charging time.

Cheers

Bloggsy
yep pod point duh

yep pod point duh
No worries, Phil. Can you elaborate a bit please? Does the Pod Point just charge straight away, despite you having put a scheduled charge on? Also, what colour is the light at the front?

I had an issue a few weeks ago where my unit kept flashing blue (receiving an update or on stand-by) and I ended up calling PP who adjusted some settings and I was up and running within 5 mins.

It may be worth giving them a call to check your settings?

Cheers

Bloggsy

Has anyone gone for the other Octopus Go tariffs that give you 5 hours off peak but at 5.5p?
I'm on the go faster tariff (5h). It does add 14p extra over 4hours to charge the car. But the extra hour vs regular go, I'm saving 84p. Also my off peak period is 20.30 until 01.30, which is easier to add other household items to it without being dangerous. (Shouldn't run dryers when asleep in case they catch fire etc).

To get on go faster, email [email protected] as its something they dont do over there website. Also you have to be an octopus customer first.

I'm currently on Go, I've just applied for Go Faster and I'm eagerly waiting to see which time slot they allocate me. My preference is 20:30 for 5 hours @ 5.5p.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom