Octopus Go + Rolec smart charger

That's a bit horse likely because they don't own one and they're out of touch. This has all been fixed by MG. Go back to your dealer.

That's a bit horse likely because they don't own one and they're out of touch. This has all been fixed by MG. Go back to your dealer.
Agreed, MG sorted this out ages ago.
It was an update the EVCC. The car should now wait 10 hours after plugging in before going to sleep and the trickle charge not required in that time.
Can you charge whilst unlocked ? The update also resolved this.

My guess would be, that you are running on the original factory software and it has not received any updates.
Does the car even have the “Comfort 2” update, surely it must have !.
As said above, this delay charging issue was sorted ages ago, with a software update.
Have you got one of the earlier models by any chance ?.

Thanks for all your input. I'll report back when I've visted my dealer for an assessment of the updates status.
I would suggest changing car to MG5 in the app to switch off trickle charge option, change tariff to octopus Go and setting a smart charge to complete by 1am. This means you will only charge for 30 mins if it works. Also set max price to 8p and only charge off peak.
Plug car in at 6pm and check car/app.
Or just set up a smart charge somehow with car not set at ZS to avoid trickle charging and see if it works. I find it hard to believe the car hasn't had the update.

Last edited:
So my MG dealer uninstalled and reinstalled the latest software update....... and I still can't charge without using the trickle feature!

Could one of you kind people tell me how to find the software version number on my car and let me know what yours is so that I can compare?

Last edited:
So my MG dealer uninstalled and reinstalled the latest software update....... and I still can't charge without using the trickle feature!

Could one of you kind people tell me how to find the software version number on my car and let me know what yours is so that I can compare?
step 1. Can you confirm as above whether you can initiate a charge, that is not a timed or scheduled charge but plug in and charge straight away while the car is unlocked on your home charger.
If so your car is updated to required spec.

Step 2. If step 1 works, turn off trickle charge in the app then change car to MG5. Can you then try a scheduled charge with the car set to MG5 in the app and tell us what happens.

Last edited:
step 1. Can you confirm as above whether you can initiate a charge, that is not a timed or scheduled charge but plug in and charge straight away while the car is unlocked on your home charger.
Yes, I've been able to do this for a while, probably a year, since first service in Mar 2021

No joy. The car didn't charge
Did the app show that the car was plugged in, did the app send you a notification that a smart charge was planned ? Did the app display a big green circle in the dashboard tab saying smart charge planned ? If not check if notifications are switched on in the Settings.
Looking at the top right hand corner of app (in dashboard tab) does the app regularly show when it was updated from the charger (Rolec EVSE)?
Just trying to help eliminate possibilities to narrow down error.

Did the app show that the car was plugged in, did the app send you a notification that a smart charge was planned ? Did the app display a big green circle in the dashboard tab saying smart charge planned ? If not check if notifications are switched on in the Settings.
Looking at the top right hand corner of app (in dashboard tab) does the app regularly show when it was updated from the charger (Rolec EVSE)?
Just trying to help eliminate possibilities to narrow down error.
Yes, it all appeared 'normal' in the set-up in the app and I received the notification that a smart charge was planned. Following your kind input and the dealers assurances, I was surprised anmd dismayed when it didn't work.

What was different from my usual experience was that the car drew full current for a couple of minutes when initially plugged in and then the Rolec switched itself back to standby - green light to blue light.

Yes, it all appeared 'normal' in the set-up in the app and I received the notification that a smart charge was planned. Following your kind input and the dealers assurances, I was surprised anmd dismayed when it didn't work.

What was different from my usual experience was that the car drew full current for a couple of minutes when initially plugged in and then the Rolec switched itself back to standby - green light to blue light.
Looks like it is heading in the direction of a Rolec problem.
The symptom of starting but then stopping is reminiscent of the power line problem. You don't by any chance have powerline wifi connectors in the property do you? If so remove them.

Sorry to jump in, but this is totally normal practice on the new facelift model !.
When you have a delayed charging cycle set up and plug in the car, prior to the charge commencing.
I too have a Rolec unit, but is the older dumb unit.
I have a delayed charge set up to start at 1.15am and finish at 6.00am.
Also, I have the SOC set to stop at 80%.
So, what happens first, either in time or SOC percentage.
When plugging in the car ( usually early evening ).
At this point the wall box is displaying the normal blue standby LED on the front cover.
As soon as I lock the car, the LED’s in the charging port turn blue and the contactor in the wall box will thump closed !.
The LED on the Rolec will turn green, so in all sense of purposes, the car is charging !.
If I quickly go around to the drivers window, the dash panel will display that there is a scheduled charging session in progress.
After about 20 seconds, the Rolec will thump again and the LED of the Rolec has returned to the blue standby status.
The LED’s in the charging port are still blue at this point in time, but very soon after, they will go out.
So, the car does give the appearance that it going to start to charge straight away, but then when it has had time to work out what is going on, it will obey the request to delay charge at a latter time of day or night.
I find setting the delay charge times in the head unit to be more successful than using the App.
It looks like you are almost there, going by the cars behaviour.
The face lift differs in the way that the original model set up for a delayed charge, thanks for sure !.
Good luck 🤞.

Sorry to jump in, but this is totally normal practice on the new facelift model !.
When you have a delayed charging cycle set up and plug in the car, prior to the charge commencing.
At this point the wall box is displaying the normal blue standby LED on the front cover.
As soon as I lock the car, the LED’s in the charging port turn blue and the contactor in the wall box will thump closed !.
The LED on the Rolec will turn green, so in all sense of purposes, the car is charging !.
If I quickly go around to the drivers window, the dash panel will display that there is a scheduled charging session in progress.
After about 20 seconds, the Rolec will thump again and the LED of the Rolec has returned to the blue standby status.
The LED’s in the charging port are still blue at this point in time, but very soon after, they will go out.
So, the car does give the appearance that it going to start to charge straight away, but then when it has had time to work out what is going on, it will obey the request to delay charge at a latter time of day or night.
I find setting the delay charge times in the head unit to be more successful than using the App.
The face lift differs in the way that the original model set up for a delayed charge, thanks for sure !.
Good luck 🤞.
Thanks for the input all welcome but this problem concerns a gen 1 model ZS and a smart Rolec. :)

Looks like it is heading in the direction of a Rolec problem.
The symptom of starting but then stopping is reminiscent of the power line problem. You don't by any chance have powerline wifi connectors in the property do you? If so remove them.
If by 'powerline wifi connectors' you mean a booster device that uses the house wiring to extend the wifi signal, then no we don't. We do have a hard-wired extension from router to outdoor 'she-cave'

Good luck 🤞.
No need to apologise, I need all the help I can get! As Gomev says I've got a Mk1 ZS (March 2020) and a smart(ish) Rolec that's operated with the ev.energy app.

Does anyone else use different software to operate the Rolec unit?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom