Octopus Go Setup Problems

I’ve been waiting 3 months so don’t hold your breath!

Looks like the timing might be a bit out as your first half hour (00:30) is a bit lighter than the rest, so maybe the charge is starting at 00:35.

How do you manage the timing? I used to use a SONOFF switch but chopped off the first and last 5 minutes to cater for just this kind of thing. I now have an OHME set up to only charge at cheap rate but I've not really looked at it too much yet.
I use the ev.energy app connected to the Rolec, set to Octopus Go tariff and only charge off-peak.

Could the clock be a bit wrong?
I suspect the app and charger only communicate at set intervals, e.g. every 5 minutes rather than continuously, hence the idea that it is turning on at 12:35 and off at 04:35 would make sense.

Hi,

I switched to Octopus Go over a week ago but my IHD (home display) still shows the old rate.

When I did the switch I got an error and when I go online into the Octopus dashboard I can't see hourly data for my account. It just says we are getting your account ready for the new tariff.

I spoke to Octopus about this a couple of times and they said the IHD doesn't work with Go and everything is fine, just chill etc...

I just wanted to know other people's experiences as I am not that confident the switch was successfully done.

How can I be confident I am being billed correctly and how do I see my daily usage?

Does anyone have an IHD that works with Go?

Thanks for any help and advice.
Go on to the Octopus App, it will tell you your tariff. If it says Go, then you're OK. Ignore the IHD as far as costs incurred, it's more useful to check real time usage.

Hi,

I switched to Octopus Go over a week ago but my IHD (home display) still shows the old rate.

When I did the switch I got an error and when I go online into the Octopus dashboard I can't see hourly data for my account. It just says we are getting your account ready for the new tariff.

I spoke to Octopus about this a couple of times and they said the IHD doesn't work with Go and everything is fine, just chill etc...

I just wanted to know other people's experiences as I am not that confident the switch was successfully done.

How can I be confident I am being billed correctly and how do I see my daily usage?

Thanks for any help and advice.
i have been with Octopus GO, now GO Faster and my IHD shows the standard day Tariff but don’t change for the 5 hour cheap 8.5p rate at night. I can see from the app my 1/2 hourly rate and usage. I would just wait for your first bill which gives you an 1/2 hourly breakdown PDF. It can take awhile for GO to kick in properly, but you won’t be out of pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, you can do a Smart Meter check which maybe helpful, it'll tell you whose reading your meter, using this link;
https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk
If you're a new Octopus Customer, they'll put you on their Flexible Tariff until they can confirm that they're being able to read your meters.
We have Solar Panels here, our IHD which works with our Smet1 Meter, we just keep on the display showing our constant power consumption, in Watts.
When you're billed by Octopus on their Go rate, your daily electricity spending will be itemised on your bill. I insisted that they billed me once a month with the direct debit going out on the 1st of each month, which Octopus thankfully have had no problem with, its a good way of ensuring your payments are keeping up with the rising energy prices.

Yes, @Jomarkh, I went onto Gast Tracker on 19 Jan when my rate was something like 10.3p and I see this weekend it's 5.1p That's cheaper than the 7.5p tariff I was on before the war!

I'm not getting much benefit though as I've been in Portugal since 27 Feb, returning on 7 April.

Anyway I told a mate to go on it a few weeks back but he was told there is a 6 month waiting list and they are only putting 50 people a day onto it.

Hi all I have been just read this thread and it never ceases to amaze me how helpful members can be to each other, when I questioned his been asked along these lines, makes it all worthwhile reading these threads even though lm not effective it is still very interesting and informative example the CaB smart meter checker mentioned by Goodc2 above never knew you could do that great stuff keep up the great work.
Les

Another thing I noticed ( Smokie In Portugal for 5/6 weeks lucky bugger enjoy mate wish I was there as well.
Les

Thanks again everyone - the tariff seems to be working and I have been getting the amazingly detailed bills through from Octopus where the half hourly data is just what I wanted.

Still get issues on the website - something is up with my account configuration - but the billing is correct, which is the main thing.

My Octopus mini tracking has stopped working. I also have an in house display and this isn’t working either. Anyone else having connection issues or is it just my isolated issue 🙁

Thanks. It must be an issue perhaps with my meter sim. Just stopped yesterday. Been fine up until then. Still down.

I wonder if you can reboot the smart meter?

Hi,

Thats pretty much standard, have you tried restarting the IHD?

It can take a little while to be online.

Correct, ask them for a mini, that gives live info via the app and is excellent.

Once the online has updated you can see it all.

I havent seen any of the IHD's work with dual rate tariffs.

Yes, I think the time for IHDs has passed, which is really silly, if only the things had an open API I could probably drive it from Octopus web services. Might end up building my own version of an IHD if I can pull data reliably from Octopus.
Request an Octopus Mini, it's free and gives you almost live data, updates every 30 seconds. There are libraries for it which link easily into home assistant, it works really well.

Hi John, the messages you are replying to are from early March this year - long since sorted out my problems thanks.

I have been on the mini waiting list since March, just recently got the email that I will receive one in the next few weeks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom