Octopus Intelligent at 7.5p and Export Fixed at 15p

Always someone to bring you back down isn't there lol
Sorry matey, I've researched cells for quite a while and what you quoted seemed above and beyond normal hence why I did a bit of digging. It's strange how most suppliers are quoting 8000 cycles yet Pylontech in their docs state >6000, I'm sure they must have said 8000 at some time for all of the suppliers to be quoting the same.
In any event, in less than 10 years the tech will have moved to such a degree we will have all changed packs before then.

Sorry matey, I've researched cells for quite a while and what you quoted seemed above and beyond normal hence why I did a bit of digging. It's strange how most suppliers are quoting 8000 cycles yet Pylontech in their docs state >6000, I'm sure they must have said 8000 at some time for all of the suppliers to be quoting the same.
In any event, in less than 10 years the tech will have moved to such a degree we will have all changed packs before then.
So how does a cycle work? If the home battery only goes from say 30% - 80% and remains between that SOC what counts as a cycle? At the moment I figured I would drain what I have left in the battery down to 20% just before 11:30pm and then charge it to 100% until 5:30am. Then if its a sunny day it would export some or I just have a lot of juice to do washing etc. It then repeats each night/day.

I assume I'm cycling once a day.... so would it be better not to export to save the life of the battery even if my export is 15p and import is 7.5p ?

Might as well pick your brains if you've researched it all :)

Devil is in the detail ;)

The industry standard for end of life is usually 80% capacity, sometime 70%, Pylontech - 60%!

Loads of suppliers quote the 8000 cycles that you say yet Pylontech say >6000

J
Isn't the 80% figure for 'end of life' for EVs, as this is considered a suitable drop in usefulness, at which point second use they can then be happily used for home battery storage. In batteries bought specifically for home from new it's just a warranty detail.
And let's be fair, 80%/70%/60% or whatever is not end of life for any battery if you want to keep using it, but with less capacity.

Last edited:
So how does a cycle work? If the home battery only goes from say 30% - 80% and remains between that SOC what counts as a cycle? At the moment I figured I would drain what I have left in the battery down to 20% just before 11:30pm and then charge it to 100% until 5:30am. Then if its a sunny day it would export some or I just have a lot of juice to do washing etc. It then repeats each night/day.

I assume I'm cycling once a day.... so would it be better not to export to save the life of the battery even if my export is 15p and import is 7.5p ?

Might as well pick your brains if you've researched it all :)
In the case of EVE cells (I would expect all the others to be about the same), a cycle = Charge to 100%, discharge to 10%. If you use half of it then thats also half a cycle too.
My EVE cells have been running since 24th December 2021, I checked them in the summer and there was no measurable loss in capacity (measured a sample cell from the array, discharged at 28 amps from full..

Isn't the 80% figure for 'end of life' for EVs, as this is considered a suitable drop in usefulness, at which point second use they can then be happily used for home battery storage. In batteries bought specifically for home from new it's just a warranty detail.
And let's be fair, 80%/70%/60% or whatever is not end of life for any battery if you want to keep using it, but with less capacity.
True but a figure needs to be published to help comparison / guarantee's etc.

Not a bad little earner for one hour of exporting

SmartSelect_20231124_212811_WhatsApp.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom