Octopus Intelligent Go

I have had a similar experience. I then changed the settings so the car is ready for 04:00 am and the charging schedule starts at 20:30 the previous evening just in time for the washing machine etc.

I have had a similar experience. I then changed the settings so the car is ready for 04:00 am and the charging schedule starts at 20:30 the previous evening just in time for the washing machine etc.
Just be careful with this advice / action, Octopus do monitor usage and look for this sort of abuse of the system and tariff.

Why is it considered abuse? It is only done on the days that the car needs charging and I am up and out early. The system sets the charge times not me.

The system sets the charge times not me.
Yes, it seems to me that Octopus can sometimes detect a situation when despite it being what would usually be a peak usage time, Octopus benefits from more load at that point, and encourages charging by lowering the rate. It seems weird, but I can imagine it happening occasionally. Maybe the wind is generating particularly well, and the spot price for electricity is low despite the time of day.

If however it's a bug in their software and we can take advantage of it, that's a different situation. If this is the case, they would be better off using their resources to fix the problem rather than detecting customers talking advantage of their bug.

Either way, I don't see that it's worthwhile for customers to go out of their way to avoid this.

Why is it considered abuse? It is only done on the days that the car needs charging and I am up and out early. The system sets the charge times not me.
It seemed to me that you were suggesting that setting an earlier (false) departure time to coax the system into giving you more off peak time. If that's not the case then my apologies, it does need to be made clear to OI users that the API is monitored and if it's seen you set 04:00 departure and the car is still plugged in at 08:00 for example then you set an incorrect departure time that's not in the spirit of the tariff use. Octopus may not do anything about it unless the level of abuse becomes high and then we all suffer.
You're using as intended so that's great.

I'm curious about how this works. We've got a series 1 ZS EV so it won't work on Intelligent Go, but we've just bought a VW ID.Buzz which will. I've applied to switch but still waiting (there's a problem with the app that they're struggling to resolve). We have a Zappi charger. Do they control the charger or the car, and how do they do it?

I can’t get the octopus app to link to my myenergi account, Octopus say to disable any other apps that control the charger…did you disable the MyEnergi App?

I’m using a Zappi and an original MG5 Excite.

Sadly, my charger (Rolec Wallpod, as suggested to me by MG) cannot work with Intelligent Go. Octopus suggested my mix of EV (ZS long range) & charger was not compatible but as other ZSs seem okay it must be my charger that’s at issue. Their Go tariff isn’t as good as my current provider so staying put for the moment…

I can’t get the octopus app to link to my myenergi account, Octopus say to disable any other apps that control the charger…did you disable the MyEnergi App?

I’m using a Zappi and an original MG5 Excite.

This link is very helpful. I ran into confusion too, but just follow the instructions here and it'll all suddenly spring into life. You don't have to disable the app, you just have to set it up right.

This link is very helpful. I ran into confusion too, but just follow the instructions here and it'll all suddenly spring into life. You don't have to disable the app, you just have to set it up right.
Amazing, thank you. I’ve removed my schedules and I’ll have a go at that later.

I'm curious about how this works. We've got a series 1 ZS EV so it won't work on Intelligent Go, but we've just bought a VW ID.Buzz which will. I've applied to switch but still waiting (there's a problem with the app that they're struggling to resolve). We have a Zappi charger. Do they control the charger or the car, and how do they do it?
I've got an MG mk1 zs ev (71 plate) and a Zappi charger, I am on Occtopus intelligent go and it works great. On the initial set up they ask you to plug in your car so they can run a test, after the test they emailed back stating I was now on intelligent go tariff.

I have a Zappi and ZS EV Mk 2. It works by connecting the myenergi account (Zappi charger account) to the Octopus account. Octopus then uses an API to control the Zappi charger. Octopus provides a charging schedule within a few seconds of plugging the car in and I just let it do its own thing.

In my experience it works well.

I have a Zappi and ZS EV Mk 2. It works by connecting the myenergi account (Zappi charger account) to the Octopus account. Octopus then uses an API to control the Zappi charger. Octopus provides a charging schedule within a few seconds of plugging the car in and I just let it do its own thing.

Compared to when it's controlling a car it's blisteringly fast. I timed it tonight from plugging our MG5 in, 9 seconds to the schedule coming through to my phone, incredible.

I am happy that I got my Intelligent Octopus Go charge me little for EV charging.
I have an Octopus installed Ohme ePod charger. I had my charger installed in early July. Then I got my electricity bill after two months

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a series 1 ZS EV and a Zappi version 2. All works very well on Intelligent Octopus Go.

Hi Do you have longrange or Short range please? Does the Octopus connects to the car at all? do you schedule the charging on ZAPPI?

@ashok198311,

I have a standard range and as mentioned above there is no connection between Octopus and the MG. The only reason that Octopus knows it is an MG with a 51kWh battery is that I selected this from the Octopus drop-down menu during the setup process. Actually, I don’t think Zappi or Octopus care that it is an MG, only that the battery size is 51kWh.

Just having a Zappi is sufficient, yes.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom