Octopus Intelligent Go

I don’t think Zappi or Octopus care that it is an MG, only that the battery size is 51kWh.
I wonder why they care that it's 51 kWh too. A 200 kWh battery that's full is no load, but a 24 kWh Leaf that's down to 20% SoC is. And they can't know the SoC either.

Still, if they need a big load in a hurry, it might be best to target the larger batteries. And the average SoC of a very large group of EV batteries probably converges to a known number.

I wonder why they care that it's 51 kWh too. A 200 kWh battery that's full is no load, but a 24 kWh Leaf that's down to 20% SoC is. And they can't know the SoC either.

Still, if they need a big load in a hurry, it might be best to target the larger batteries. And the average SoC of a very large group of EV batteries probably converges to a known number.
Yes, that’s a good question. I suspect there is some prioritisation as you suggest.

Just been through the setup for this too. Re schedules - it says that only the EV charging will be billed at the lower rate when outside of the set hours - so presumably it pulls the charge data from the Zappi to do that.

Therefore there is probably no benefit to running the dishwasher etc earlier - although you could easily see by downloading the smart meter data and checking to see for sure.

Just been through the setup for this too. Re schedules - it says that only the EV charging will be billed at the lower rate when outside of the set hours - so presumably it pulls the charge data from the Zappi to do that.

Therefore there is probably no benefit to running the dishwasher etc earlier - although you could easily see by downloading the smart meter data and checking to see for sure.
My understanding is that all the supply is billed at the lower rate and not just the car. I may be wrong though. Someone else on here will know definitively.

Last edited:
Just got my IOG working (MG4 Trophy-Wallbox Pulsar Max), quick question then...on the odd nights i don't charge the car does the cheap rate just apply to the advertised 23:30 - 05:30 slot ? Would still like to run the dishwasher (every night) and dryer overnight at cheap rate, which is what i did with the previous Octopus Go tariff. Or should i connect car every night, even for a small charge ?

As per the page, “Smart charge your car with unlimited super-cheap green electrons plus six hours for your whole home between 11:30pm and 5:30am.”

Without the battery capacity they cannot work out how many kWh you need to complete the charge, and hence how much time is required.

I am happy that I got my Intelligent Octopus Go charge me little for EV charging.
I have an Octopus installed Ohme ePod charger. I had my charger installed in early July. Then I got my electricity bill after two months
The tariff is only good if you don't mind paying the exorbitant daytime rate premium of 12p/kWh on top of their other tariffs, i.e. have lots of solar and/or use very little daytime units. So, Octopus recommended I stay on my 18p/kWh anytime tariff.

The tariff is only good if you don't mind paying the exorbitant daytime rate premium of 12p/kWh on top of their other tariffs, i.e. have lots of solar and/or use very little daytime units. So, Octopus recommended I stay on my 18p/kWh anytime tariff.
I'll have a nibble at this...can you share the evidence of a 12p differential between the Intelligent Octopus Go day time rate compared to 'their other tariffs'?

My day rate is approx 2p dearer but more than cancelled out by the cheap EV charging and low off peak.

My average cost power kWh last month was approx 17p which is good enough for me...

Have you checked the rates in your area recently?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have a nibble at this...can you share the evidence of a 12p differential between the Intelligent Octopus Go day time rate compared to 'their other tarrifs'?

My day rate is approx 2p dearer but more than cancelled out by the cheap EV charging and low off peak.

My average cost power Kwh last month was approx 17p which is good enough for me...

1) Octopus website. 2) Direct conversations with Octopus. Nibble away.

1) Octopus website. 2) Direct conversations with Octopus. Nibble away.

Ok, you do you as the kids say...just seems an odd level of discrepancy from the day rate for IOG compared to their standard tariffs based on what I see for my area.

I'm sure you'd encourage all to check the offered rates in their own area as obviously should a 12p differential exist for them, it would be useful to know.

I'd be quite interested to know where Octopus are supplying IOG at 12p more than their standard rates if you cared to share the info you mention on their website?

Ok, you do you as the kids say...just seems an odd level of discrepancy from the day rate for IOG compared to their standard tariffs based on what I see for my area.

I'm sure you'd encourage all to check the offered rates in their own area as obviously should a 12p differential exist for them be useful to know.

I'd be quite interested to know where Octopus are supplying IOG at 12p more than their standard rates if you cared to share the info you mention on their website?
North Shropshire

Hmm for my area flexible (single rate) is 29.38p compared to IOG 7.5p/31.21p.

I’ve been on their double-dip “Cosy” tariff for the past year (16.8/28.1/45p) and am sad enough to have downloaded the full year of usage, model all three tarrifs and adjust for the car. IOG works out for me even as a heat pump user.

I have no need of max charge at day time. Attached was from my weekend charge bill in September.
Screenshot_20231215_221947.jpg

I do not understand why they stopped charge me for electricity since October after not charging my car for one month (I was travelling out of country).

I'll have a nibble at this...can you share the evidence of a 12p differential between the Intelligent Octopus Go day time rate compared to 'their other tariffs'?

My average cost power kWh last month was approx 17p which is good enough for me...

Same with me about 2p difference, I can't see any rate that is anywhere near 17p. I thought the area mainly affected the standing charge?

Its nothing like 12p premium, 29.66 is my peak rate on Intelligent, the other Octopus 'normal' tariffs are all between 26p and 33p.

Just switched from Flux to Intelligent Go as found out that it could 'talk' to my Ohme Home/Go commando unit ... so now get 6hrs off peak rather than 3 and at a better rate - day rate is 2p per kWh more but better export rate for solar and no 5-7pm peak surcharge ... so cheaper to charge the car and/or batteries at night and will benefit from cheap rates during day occasionally too :)

I had the same problem as Keith. So I emailed them that I was going to switch away and that seemed to work. Now on GO and it seems to be working well. But time will tell......

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom