Octopus won’t replace my smets1 meter

bobbarley

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I’ve recently identified that we are on an old British Gas smets1 meter. We called and spoke to Octopus who have said they won’t come and upgrade it because it’s technically a smart meter, even though they can’t take readings from it. Additionally, they think it’ll upgrade automatically one day in the future and be useable again, but don’t know when. From what I can tell it’s fallen off the DCC database.

Has anyone else been stuck in this position and been able to get it resolved? We are stuck in the position of having to pay 25.42p per kWh to charge, which is painfully expensive.

What make and model of smart meter have BG fitted?

IMG_1401.jpeg

Landis+Gyr E470

Strange as I also have an E470 (albeit a later version) fitted by Octopus.

I’m told the tell tale sign is the separate box for communication, highlights is as an early smets1 unit that’s basically useless now. Additionally I read somewhere that early BG meters were essentially locked to them so once you move they are never smart again.

Yes, the comms hub sits on top of my meter so it is a different design although the same model number.
Octopus does work with one type of SMETS1 meter, the Secure Liberty 100.

From what I've read, SMETS1 meters are due to be remotely upgraded this year so they should have full functionality before too long.

My SMETS1 meters were upgraded remotely by Octopus nearly 4 years ago when I switched to them and have been on Go ever since.

I had the same meter. Landis gyr are buggers and have loads and loads of models with the same e470 model number. This caused me much grief.

The trilliant comms hub is a give away - this is a smets1 meter. These have a direct connection to centricas WAN and do not use the DCC. Mine was never “upgraded” to use the DCC. I thought a move to the British Gas ev tariff would work but it didn’t. This meter wouldn’t even work with British Gas on their EV tariff. After much heartache and time even British Gas sent someone out to swap to a smets2. They physically replaced the meter with a landis gyr e470 which looks totally different but works.

I’d guess these models are having problems and will never go over to the DCC hence the replacement. It may be a case of going with BG for a while, getting them to swap it and then you are free to do as you wish.

These links may help also….

Mine was fully active and in use with BG but never moved over - I have a sneaky suspicion they have had problems with that specific meter hence was never remotely upgraded.

Well we told Octpous we were going to leave so they agreed to upgrade the meter to a smets2. The engineer arrived on Wednesday, said there wasn’t decent access to the electric box (white door wouldn’t open the entire way due to a log store being next to it), and left. We were told to reschedule for when we have managed to move around a literal ton of wood :ROFLMAO:

So that’s a fun job for the weekend. Then we can schedule another appointment to get the new meter.

Octopus turned up today and installed the smart meter, so that’s another piece of the puzzle taken care of! EV charger should be getting installed tomorrow. Then I can request a change to IOG.

They didn’t change the gas meter however, claiming it needed a lot more work. So call and make another appointment if that’s what we want :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom