• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

ODB Reader for ABRP live data

greeiig

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all,
After reading a few threads about this I decided to waste some money on getting an ODB reader. I'm not too interested in getting in depth diagnostics or anything like that, but was interested to see if it would help my ABRP route planning app work better by allowing it access to live data on expected range and battery % etc.

I bought a "JUTA VLINKER MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Code Reader"
Installing it was easy thanks to this forum.

ABRP does now show the live data - actual battery % (which appears to be fairly close to the % displayed on the dash)
Has anyone had any experience using ABRP - or other route planners - using live data from the ODB reader? I'm not expecting great things, but hoping it might make it a bit more responsive and accurate.. I tend to only use it for the occasional long trip. ABRP sets the route and charging stops, which is then pretty much set in stone - I'm hoping that it might be able to be a bit more responsive and react to changes made along the way. Also, I tend to just export the route to Google Maps rather than use ABRP - maybe I should rethink that approach?

I've seen a few peeps mention they use ABRP with an ODB dongle - would love to hear any views - @Whiskery @biffo ?

Hi all,
After reading a few threads about this I decided to waste some money on getting an ODB reader. I'm not too interested in getting in depth diagnostics or anything like that, but was interested to see if it would help my ABRP route planning app work better by allowing it access to live data on expected range and battery % etc.

I bought a "JUTA VLINKER MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Code Reader"
Installing it was easy thanks to this forum.

ABRP does now show the live data - actual battery % (which appears to be fairly close to the % displayed on the dash)
Has anyone had any experience using ABRP - or other route planners - using live data from the ODB reader? I'm not expecting great things, but hoping it might make it a bit more responsive and accurate.. I tend to only use it for the occasional long trip. ABRP sets the route and charging stops, which is then pretty much set in stone - I'm hoping that it might be able to be a bit more responsive and react to changes made along the way. Also, I tend to just export the route to Google Maps rather than use ABRP - maybe I should rethink that approach?

I've seen a few peeps mention they use ABRP with an ODB dongle - would love to hear any views - @Whiskery @biffo ?
I had a subscription for a few months when travelling for holidays - I did see stops being changed dynamically but can’t honestly say it impacted my planned route/stops but I guess that’s due to using ABRP to plan stops before I left. I do like seeing it show the current and destination SOC. Don’t have subscription just now though as not driving anywhere other than Tesco.

I did like seeing historical routes too and how power / charge varies but it was a nice to have rather than essential

I had a subscription for a few months when travelling for holidays - I did see stops being changed dynamically but can’t honestly say it impacted my planned route/stops but I guess that’s due to using ABRP to plan stops before I left. I do like seeing it show the current and destination SOC. Don’t have subscription just now though as not driving anywhere other than Tesco.

I did like seeing historical routes too and how power / charge varies but it was a nice to have rather than essential
Thanks for the insight. I use ABRP in much the same way so this is likely to be an interesting addition rather than a must have.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom