ohme app and mg4 charging schedule

wenkatn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have ohme epod EVSE installed and currently with british gas electric driver v1 tariff, intending to switch to intelligent octopus go soon.
I am not sure if I quite like the ohme app or how i should be using it.
First annoyance is that you can't set the target percentage/range you want. You can only set the additional percentage/range you want it added. i understand its down to the fact that mg doesn't allow api access for the charger to check the status of the battery.
I don't charge every day. If I charge to 80% it will last a week for me before it comes down to 20-25%.
I don't have any schedules set up on ohme app. I have 80% limit set in the car. Lets say I have 40% SOC in battery. In the ohme app, I change the target to add 50% by 8am. Also in ohme app, I have set to charge only at off-peak time which is between 12 and 5am. So basically, this should start from 40% soc and adding 50% more to get 90%. Remember, in the car I have set the limit to 80%. So I expect the charging to stop once it reaches 80%. I can see the battery charging from 40% to 80% and in ismart app it keeps showing the battery charging animation even after it reached the 80%. It reached 80% around 3:30am. Even after that, ohme app wants to push the charge to the car, car showing battery charging animation, but charge not going beyond 80%. I had to manually click "Finish Charging" button in ismart app.
Should i just leave it alone, as it only charges to 80% anyway (despite the ismart graphics showing charging animation)?
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

How long did you let the extra charging go on? I have found with my granny charger that the car will continue to receive electricity as it equalises and then shut down charging. Equalising seems to take place at the specified target level.

How long did you let the extra charging go on? I have found with my granny charger that the car will continue to receive electricity as it equalises and then shut down charging. Equalising seems to take place at the specified target level.
Well it reached 80% around 3:30am and the battery charging animation continued showing in ismart app for more than 30 minutes which is when I manually stopped the charging thinking the charging is going waste.

At first glance the Ohme app looks quite poor but very easy after you get used to it. Forget about charging scheduled on your car. Just set the charging limit to either 80 of 100%.
On Ohme app make sure max charging is unchecked otherwise it could charge at full price. Also uncheck the only charge at off peak rate switch. This seems at first the wrong thing to do but if checked it will only charge during off peak hours and Octopus more often than not these days allows you to charge during the day at cheap rate if grid us loaded. I have set up one schedule on app to add 5% by 0530hrs. Then before you plug in car take note of what SOC is so you can calculate what % to add. As soon as you plug in car Ohme works out a charging schedule. I then adjust schedule to add the % I want to take up to either 80 or 100%. Ohme will adjust the schedule. As I said, often the scedule will be during daytime hours but you will get off peak rates while car is charging. As long as the app states Smart Charging you are on off peak no matter what the time. I've been using Ohme app on IOG for 4 months mow and find it very easy, but admit at first glance it doesn't look that great.

At first glance the Ohme app looks quite poor but very easy after you get used to it. Forget about charging scheduled on your car. Just set the charging limit to either 80 of 100%.
On Ohme app make sure max charging is unchecked otherwise it could charge at full price. Also uncheck the only charge at off peak rate switch. This seems at first the wrong thing to do but if checked it will only charge during off peak hours and Octopus more often than not these days allows you to charge during the day at cheap rate if grid us loaded. I have set up one schedule on app to add 5% by 0530hrs. Then before you plug in car take note of what SOC is so you can calculate what % to add. As soon as you plug in car Ohme works out a charging schedule. I then adjust schedule to add the % I want to take up to either 80 or 100%. Ohme will adjust the schedule. As I said, often the scedule will be during daytime hours but you will get off peak rates while car is charging. As long as the app states Smart Charging you are on off peak no matter what the time. I've been using Ohme app on IOG for 4 months mow and find it very easy, but admit at first glance it doesn't look that great.
Thanks. I’ll more likely follow your process once i switched to intelligent octopus go. Right note with British Gas.

Well it reached 80% around 3:30am and the battery charging animation continued showing in ismart app for more than 30 minutes which is when I manually stopped the charging thinking the charging is going waste.

I did that when I first got the car, not realising that the car was doing a balance charge. If you look at the iSmart app you'll see that relatively little power is being drawn by that process. In the SR (LFP battery) it's about 20 watts, although I think it's a bit higher with the NMC battery.

Just let it do it, the car knows what it needs to do.

I did that when I first got the car, not realising that the car was doing a balance charge. If you look at the iSmart app you'll see that relatively little power is being drawn by that process. In the SR (LFP battery) it's about 20 watts, although I think it's a bit higher with the NMC battery.

Just let it do it, the car knows what it needs to do.
Thanks. Good to know that. I will let it do its thing going forward.

It's quite weird the way the app tells you the finish time of the main charge, then spends the next half-hour or so telling you that right now is when the charge will end, with right now continuing for half an hour at about 20 watts (or maybe longer at higher power in the LR battery) before it finally admits that the charge is completely done.

Just perused the thread - how do you manually stop the charging process via the Ohme app should you wish to do so?
Thank you in advance!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel