Ohme home charger tripping

Chris Rob

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, I put my car on charge last night and discovered this morning it had tripped out. I have tried several times now but when the car locks in the plug it trips out the consumer unit. It has been fine for the last five months. OHME charging point. Has anyone had this problem?
Thanks
Chris

Which Ohme is it?
Is it on its own mini CU and what size breaker is it on 32A or 40A?

Mine is on its own mini CU as well, rather than via the main consumer unit. However I do occasionally have it tripping. Have now set the washing machine, tumble drier, dishwawsher etc to stagger start times and dont seem to be getting the problem.... so far (I am on octopus go 12.30 to 4.30).

Check both car and type 2 connector are clean, and that the screws on the RCD and MCB and earth have not loosened off and check all cables for nicks etc.

The next stage in the fault finding without calling a sparkie out would be to try your car on someone else's home charger to see if it's the car, then try a different car on your charger to see if it's the charger. Only problem is you need to know someone with both of those to try it

Hi, I put my car on charge last night and discovered this morning it had tripped out. I have tried several times now but when the car locks in the plug it trips out the consumer unit. It has been fine for the last five months. OHME charging point. Has anyone had this problem?
Thanks
Chris
If I remeber correctly you have a 3 year guarantee on the ohme installation & x? years warranty on the MG - if the car is tripping all chargers, I'd ring their helpline / dealer.

I’m an electrician, although I don’t install chargers.
post a photo of which switch is tripping I might be able to point you in right direction.
Hi
Thankyou for you time.
Chris

Attachments

• 20230909_135528.jpg
    20230909_135528.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 20230909_135521.jpg
    20230909_135521.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 219
Hi
Thankyou for you time.
Chris
I thought it should be on a 40amp breaker as the charger will pull 32amps so you normally move up to the next closest amperage rated MCB/rcbo above. I also thought type a is what's recommended nowadays!

Edit just done a little googling and it looks like type b is recommended but I've seen different suggestions for 32 & 40amps

Last edited:
Just upload a pic showing which switch in your consumer unit tripped :)

I have read the installer manual from ohme and it clearly states c40 breaker. This needs a 6mm cable and you may already have only a 4 mm cable for the 32 amp breaker. The difference between the B and C is inrush current. Basically for a few milliseconds you draw several hundred amps and the C can handle a higher rating. Your installer is at fault not following manufacturers instructions. You have it here in black and white.
IMG_0024.jpeg

Your installer has made a 2nd mistake. Your B32 amp also includes RCD protection, it’s called an RCBO combines RCD and MCB in one device. This requires to be double pole ie switching neutral as well as live, yours is single pole.
IMG_0025.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom