Oil leak - Reject car???

CraigMcKMG4

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So I posted on another thread my wife’s car has the oil leak and was recovered for repair.

However, my wife has lost some faith in it and is considering her options. The software side is fine, we can live with that. It’s the mechanical failure that has made her consider rejecting it now.
Two questions
1) If she goes ahead does she reject it with the dealer or MG direct
2) Thoughts on is she jumping the gun, I know this is subjective!

#1 who did she buy from? (Rhetorical question - she bought from the dealer, not MG, so any consumer rights are with the dealer).

#2 Who knows. I knew about the various issues (and even mentioned the leak to the sales guy) but still placed my order yesterday. :)

Is the car on finance ? Don’t forget to keep them in the loop as well or it could cost you dearly

I rejected a lease car this year after 3 days, did it via the lease company that the dealer organised for me……not the dealer. I just kept both parties copied on emails.
The traction motor broke leaving us stranded for 4hrs await AA. Hyundai Kona 64kWh.

Only thing I’d say is that the waiting etc for a replacement, lack of grant, increasing prices meant getting a replacement wasn’t possible.

Have the garage given you a information on how and where the oil is coming from the and will this affect all cars going forward
Not yet. It’s in for inspection, they think it will be mid week before they can look at it.

I think it’s the reality that this is not just a single episode, the reports of leaks on all models are there. If I had not joined the forum I would not have known to look, so there could be many more unrecorded just now.

Someone has noted that the garage can’t fix theirs so they are getting a replacement from the next shipment. However that left China before this was known, so….

Not yet. It’s in for inspection, they think it will be mid week before they can look at it.

I think it’s the reality that this is not just a single episode, the reports of leaks on all models are there. If I had not joined the forum I would not have known to look, so there could be many more unrecorded just now.

Someone has noted that the garage can’t fix theirs so they are getting a replacement from the next shipment. However that left China before this was known, so….
Hi were getting a replacement car could of had a refund but what could I by for £26 still looking forward to getting the new one and they will be giving it a good look over before they hand it over I can understand your thinking though

I can fully understand your reaction(s) and mine would likely be the very same !.
However, before I went full "Caveman" and rejected the car, I would pause just a little.
MG are now aware of this problem and it affects a number of cars, which although this sounds bad, the urgency level to discover the problem, is now magnified a lot by more affected cars / owners.
It maybe a minor fix or a major fix, but they need time to investigate.
They can't fix it - until they find it !.
Would you want to reject an almost brand new car, to find out in two weeks time, that the problem has been identified as a fairly simple error / repair ?.
I would simply notify the dealer ( in writing ) that your willing to give them a reasonable time frame to identify and rectify the problem 100% correctly, but you are now expressing your right to reject the car IF it is not repairing correctly and in a timely manner.
This is the path that I would take, if I was affected.
I am not saying this is the right way, it would be my way of approaching the problem.
Assume nothing - Document everything !.

I can fully understand your reaction(s) and mine would likely be the very same !.
However, before I went full "Caveman" and rejected the car, I would pause just a little.
MG are now aware of this problem and it affects a number of cars, which although this sounds bad, the urgency level to discover the problem, is now magnified a lot by more affected cars / owners.
It maybe a minor fix or a major fix, but they need time to investigate.
They can't fix it - until they find it !.
Would you want to reject an almost brand new car, to find out in two weeks time, that the problem has been identified as a fairly simple error / repair ?.
I would simply notify the dealer ( in writing ) that your willing to give them a reasonable time frame to identify and rectify the problem 100% correctly, but you are now expressing your right to reject the car IF it is not repairing correctly and in a timely manner.
This is the path that I would take, if I was affected.
I am not saying this is the right way, it would be my way of approaching the problem.
Assume nothing - Document everything !.
Good advice which I will certainly follow should it affect my MG4.

As above, anything learnt from the current issues will not be resolved by design changes for cars delivered for at least two months (it takes that long to get built and transported from China). So if the issue is fixable on already built cars yours can be fixed, if not you don't want one for many months.
FWIW this appears to be a relatively rare issue so may be just an overfilling error.

As above, anything learnt from the current issues will not be resolved by design changes for cars delivered for at least two months (it takes that long to get built and transported from China). So if the issue is fixable on already built cars yours can be fixed, if not you don't want one for many months.
FWIW this appears to be a relatively rare issue so may be just an overfilling error.
🤞

I've never had to reject a car before, but I didn't think it was as simple as just saying you don't want it anymore? I was under the impression that the dealer/manufacturer had to be given a reasonable attempt to correct any warranty issues, but I might be wrong. I'm also amazed that another user on here has been told they will just have their car swapped for a new car - as pointed out already, the new car is probably already in the country or at least on it's way, so will likely have the same issue if it's widespread. Also, I can't see MG just giving out new cars as replacements, they'll soon run out of cars if the problem is a design fault.

I do understand your position though. Back in 2012, we bought my wife a Mazda CX-5 which at the time was a comlpletely new model with a new engine design. After a couple of months, the forums lit up with users noticing that the oil level was increasing and going above the max mark on the dipstick. Most of the discussions were around long term damage to the engine (even the manual specifically warned not to let the oil level go above the max mark). We had a lot of money tied up in the car so were understandably concerned that the engine wasn't going to last. Mazda dragged their feet, but eventually issued a recall including a new engine map and (I kid you not) a new dipstick with the max mark moved further up!

Despite all that, we did over 70k miles over four years before selling the car and it never put a foot wrong. We were so pleased with it, we replaced it with another CX-5. That one then had a safety recall for brakes and was off the road for a month waiting for parts! We did have a free hire car during that time, but it was still a pain.

I've also had recalls for a Ford Focus (handbrake may release unexpectedly) and my current Mercedes A250 (a sensor that effected economy).

It's a long way of saying that although it's worrying to have warranty issues so soon after getting the car (particularly mechanical ones) and the inconvenience that goes with it, we still don't really know what the cause or effect of the leak is. Until then, as others have suggested, document everything (including any out of pocket expenses) so at least you have evidence to fall back on. Only you can decide to try and reject or not, but if it were me I'd probably give it a few weeks until there's something official about the cause and then make a decision.

I've never had to reject a car before, but I didn't think it was as simple as just saying you don't want it anymore? I was under the impression that the dealer/manufacturer had to be given a reasonable attempt to correct any warranty issues, but I might be wrong. I'm also amazed that another user on here has been told they will just have their car swapped for a new car - as pointed out already, the new car is probably already in the country or at least on it's way, so will likely have the same issue if it's widespread. Also, I can't see MG just giving out new cars as replacements, they'll soon run out of cars if the problem is a design fault.

I do understand your position though. Back in 2012, we bought my wife a Mazda CX-5 which at the time was a comlpletely new model with a new engine design. After a couple of months, the forums lit up with users noticing that the oil level was increasing and going above the max mark on the dipstick. Most of the discussions were around long term damage to the engine (even the manual specifically warned not to let the oil level go above the max mark). We had a lot of money tied up in the car so were understandably concerned that the engine wasn't going to last. Mazda dragged their feet, but eventually issued a recall including a new engine map and (I kid you not) a new dipstick with the max mark moved further up!

Despite all that, we did over 70k miles over four years before selling the car and it never put a foot wrong. We were so pleased with it, we replaced it with another CX-5. That one then had a safety recall for brakes and was off the road for a month waiting for parts! We did have a free hire car during that time, but it was still a pain.

I've also had recalls for a Ford Focus (handbrake may release unexpectedly) and my current Mercedes A250 (a sensor that effected economy).

It's a long way of saying that although it's worrying to have warranty issues so soon after getting the car (particularly mechanical ones) and the inconvenience that goes with it, we still don't really know what the cause or effect of the leak is. Until then, as others have suggested, document everything (including any out of pocket expenses) so at least you have evidence to fall back on. Only you can decide to try and reject or not, but if it were me I'd probably give it a few weeks until there's something official about the cause and then make a decision.
I understand the content of your post, however,
if there is a problem which is identified the clock is ticking in order to reject the vehicle under consumer law, short term right to reject, if indeed necessary,
Of course this might be a simple fix, but going on previous posts unfortunately this might not be the case.
fingers crossed 🤞

Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies. (Edited to make this a link)

This offers 2 rejection rights:

#1 Short Term Right To Reject - within 30 days from purchase/delivery, for a full refund. The seller may require you to prove that the fault exists, but that's probably a moot point here.

#2 Final Right To Reject (or right to a price reduction) - between 30 days and 6 months the fault is assumed to exist and the seller must prove otherwise; after 6 months* the seller can require the consumer to prove the fault exists (and existed at the time of purchase). Again this is a moot point. The seller is allowed to choose the remedy (repair, replace, refund - refund would normally be in full but there's an exception for vehicles in that the refund can be reduced based on the amount of miles driven).

If the seller opts to repair then they are allowed ONE attempt - if the goods still fail to conform to contract (for any reason, not just the same reason) then you can reject for a refund (or a price reduction).

* After 6 months the seller can automatically reduce the amount of any refund, if that is the remedy they choose.

That's the position in law.

Last edited:
Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies.

This offers 2 rejection rights:

#1 Short Term Right To Reject - within 30 days from purchase/delivery, for a full refund. The seller may require you to prove that the fault exists, but that's probably a moot point here.

#2 Final Right To Reject (or right to a price reduction) - between 30 days and 6 months the fault is assumed to exist and the seller must prove otherwise; after 6 months* the seller can require the consumer to prove the fault exists (and existed at the time of purchase). Again this is a moot point. The seller is allowed to choose the remedy (repair, replace, refund - refund would normally be in full but there's an exception for vehicles in that the refund can be reduced based on the amount of miles driven).

If the seller opts to repair then they are allowed ONE attempt - if the goods still fail to conform to contract (for any reason, not just the same reason) then you can reject for a refund (or a price reduction).

* After 6 months the seller can automatically reduce the amount of any refund, if that is the remedy they choose.

That's the position in law.
Thank you, I knew someone would clarify the position,

I have looked under the car and there is some sort of streaking (if that’s the word) of oil so it’s booked in for Wednesday for an inspection together with the TPMS detecting low pressure on rear left.

I've moved a few posts to the oil leak thread:

Note that this thread is about the process for rejecting the car.

NOT LEASE OR PCP - Before you reject the car, I suggest you do some serious research on the process, as manufacturers and dealers will do anything not to have to take it back as they will be stuck with it.
I checked out this process as I was close to rejecting my wife's current car.
Please check details but a summary how to do this, You must give the dealer a 'fair' shot at fixing the issue ( Fair is open to interpretation). I decided 3 attempts were fair, they fixed on 3rd.
Log dates and times of issues along with who you spoke to, where the car went to be fixed, how and when it got to dealer.
Log date and time when you got car back, ask and log what fix was attempted.
In fact log everything including request for loan car, dealer response, any expenses you incurred while car was not with you.
While car is 1st being are looked at generate a letter stating exactly what the issue/s are/were, be clear and concise what you want. Do not be unreasonable . Make sure you are 100% clear and have a valid argument if you want to leave the car and walk away
In my case I would have wanted an exact replacement and reimbursement of out of pocket expenses.

Please take some time to verify my advise and good luck .

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back