One pedal driving and the effect on brake pads

wenkatn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Two weeks into ev driving on mg4 and i started to enjoy one pedal driving recently. In the last week, i had driven around 100 miles without touching the brake pedal except when starting and parking the vehicle. Driving both in town and motorways (using acc on motorways and on speeds above 40mph).

If I go with this behaviour in the long term would it have any impact on the brake pads? I guess it would still apply the brakes during one pedal driving to get to a complete stop.

What you guys think? Do people enjoy one pedal driving? My slight issue with one pedal driving is that you can’t take your feet off the pedal to relax or stretch for a second or two as it would drastically slow down the vehicle when compared to driving with regen level 3.

Personally I love OPD around the local roads and city centre with lots of slowing down required. It saves you having to move your foot to the brake pedal and is very smooth in operation.

A tip I've seen many times for OPD EV's is to once a week do some quite hard braking from highish speeds to engage all the brake pads on the discs. This will keep the discs and pads clean and prevent problems apparently.

Personally I love OPD around the local roads and city centre with lots of slowing down required. It saves you having to move your foot to the brake pedal and is very smooth in operation.

A tip I've seen many times for OPD EV's is to once a week do some quite hard braking from highish speeds to engage all the brake pads on the discs. This will keep the discs and pads clean and prevent problems apparently.
Cool. I’ll remember the hard braking once a week rule 😁 when no one’s behind me. Thanks.

Absolutely brake pads last so much longer on EV's in general due to the regen and in particular if one pedal driving. I've heard of problems that can occur down the line due to lack of use like disc need replacing due to corrosion and caliper sticking due to lack of use. Occasional use as above should help prevent this.

Does OPD activate the brakes at all?

When cruising at say 100kmH (60mph) & I take my foot off the accelerator instantly the car slows up very quickly and it feels as if there is some hydraulic braking going on as well as regen. If that is the case then the brake lights should come on too which is a good thing. Regen doesn't seem to get much above 25%. Also what does the S mean on the regen part of the screen

Does anyone know whether this is the case?

Yeah brake lights will come on as long as slow rate is over a certain level even when brakes aren't applied like when on high regen. One pedal does feel like brakes may apply sometimes but cant confirm. My guess for regen level 's' is Stop as it comes to a standstill unlike all other regen modes.

Currently have an Audi E-tron (Xpower being delivered on 20th Nov!!!) and if it's been raining overnight then I use the actual brakes at the end of my downhill section of road to clean them off just in case required. A bit like the pre-driving rituals that it look like we have to get used to with the MG4 settings, it's just another thing to remember before driving off. Doesn't take much time and will keep you safe & happy.

Two weeks into ev driving on mg4 and i started to enjoy one pedal driving recently. In the last week, i had driven around 100 miles without touching the brake pedal except when starting and parking the vehicle. Driving both in town and motorways (using acc on motorways and on speeds above 40mph).

If I go with this behaviour in the long term would it have any impact on the brake pads? I guess it would still apply the brakes during one pedal driving to get to a complete stop.

What you guys think? Do people enjoy one pedal driving? My slight issue with one pedal driving is that you can’t take your feet off the pedal to relax or stretch for a second or two as it would drastically slow down the vehicle when compared to driving with regen level 3.
If you want to take your foot off the pedal just activate ACC.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back