Oops, think I broke the entire charging station!

dsimpkins

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Popped into a local Instavolt charging station earlier today. 5 chargers in total, 2 available. Plugged in, started charging, and went into the cafe there. A few minutes later checked the charging session it had stopped. When I went to investigate the power was out for the entire charging station. Clearly either a powercut, or had tripped out. Hope it wasn't me that caused it. There was a large LDV van also charging at the same station. When I came out, the driver said, the powers out on all of them, then drove off. I'm going to blame him as used another Instavolt later the same day without a hitch. I did report the fault to Instavolt.

I’m no public charging expert, but it cannot be possible for a car at ‘charger A’ to do something that trips chargers B/C/D etc

I’m no public charging expert, but it cannot be possible for a car at ‘charger A’ to do something that trips chargers B/C/D etc
Clearly not a expert, on the company we have charging stations and are configured master and slave, if the master goes down the slave also??? OK this is maybe I'm in Belgium ;-)

If the supply is overloaded by one car, it could trip for all, so in that sense one car could trip the others.

How could the supply be overloaded?
Surely the charger can only supply a certain amount and that’s that?
A car can’t demand more of a charger to the extent the entire supply to the whole site is affected?
Example, a Tesla capable of 150kw plugs into a 22kw charger.
It can’t ‘demand’ more than 22kw from that charger, have it glowing like the sun and then melt the whole site.
It’ll get that 22kw and the rest of the site is protected.

A car can’t demand more of a charger to the extent the entire supply to the whole site is affected?
It can’t ‘demand’ more than 22kw from that charger, have it glowing like the sun and then melt the whole site.
In normal circumstances it wouldn't, but some sites are underpowered and can't power all the available outlets at the same time. Normally this would just result in the charger not working or reduced power but there are plenty of bugs and bad installations out there, so if this is what happened it wouldn't surprise me.

I think there is a big difference between AC and DC charging
150 Kw (today 350Kw or even more is possible) is DC with CCS plug or Chademo plug and power is controlled by the charger with communication from the car as this is needed to control the charging curve demand from the battery.
AC is 3,7 Kw to max 22Kw most cars can only charge 11Kw (charger is in the car) like the MG4, one of the first loading 22Kw is the Renault Zoe there will be maybe some exceptions.
For AC the external wallcharger is not realy the charger only switching and safety device.

Renault Megane, Nissan Ariya, certain Zeekr's lotus eletre, certain smart #1, certain Mercs.
Lucids charge at 19kw

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel